PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Postgame cuts - Exhibition Game 3 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the biggest game of the exhibition season is in the books. It's time to make the harder decisions. Does Stork's absence mean Wendell's safe? Are they going to trade away Mallett for those two first round picks, are they going to keep him, or are they going to just cut him loose like a fish snagged in a catch-and-release competition? Does Fleming/White/Beaharnais/Anderson/Morris mean the Patriots will carry 8 linebackers? Does Chung getting beat like a red-headed stepchild get ignored because of his special teams play and the weakness of the other safeties?

We've got to know your take on this team's roster cuts, and who you think is getting the axe, as of now.! Give to us. We can all take it (OK, some will cry, but most of us can take it).

Jordan Devey is more likely to break Tom Brady's ankle than do any good.

First the geezer jokes. Now the redhead H8. Patsfans has become a hostile play place.

I was once a redhead. When I renewed my passport this year, hair color was a tossup between white and clear.

First the geezer jokes. Now the redhead H8. Patsfans has become a hostile play place.

I just don't see why Chung is out there. Cut him & hope.

Boyce has given no reason to make the 53.

You know my take on Chung, so you know I'm with you. The only response I could give to counter yours would be "Oh, Yeah? And who plays the position then?", because S2 has been quite a large bag of suck, so far.

Boyce has the talent, but he doesn't have the heart/brain of a starter.

He's more athletically gifted than Edelman but he doesn't have the same fight in him.

I'll repost this from the game thread since it fits better here. People might disagree and that is fine cause we all didn't get to see everyone on every play with only 1 watch through.

Rapid reaction for bottom roster guys

Whos Hot

McCuller - LB/FB/TE
Beauh - LB
Vellano - DT

Whos Not

Wendell - C
Devey - G
Chung - S
Anderson - LB
Boyce - WR

Mixed Bag

Lafell - WR
Worthy - DT* (first game in about a year though)
White - RB

I didn't see anybody play so horrendously in this game that they immediately get cut. I'm basing that comment based on this being the third thread in a series, i.e., they played their way off the roster in this game.

That being said, the first set of cuts comes on Tuesday, which is prior to preseason game four. Here is my guess on which players will (or should) be released 8/26 in order to get the roster down to 75 players:

WR Wilson Van Hooser
WR Derrick Johnson
OL Jon Halapio
LB James Morris
LB Deontae Skinner
LB Cameron Gordon
DT Eathyn Manumaleuna
DT L.T. Tuipulotu
S Shamiel Gary
S Jemea Thomas

That's ten players, the next five get a bit tougher to decide on:

WR Jeremy Gallon
DT Joe Vellano
DB Dax Swanson
CB Travis Hawkins
OL Jordan Devey

edit: the current roster is at 87 players, not 90, so rather than 15 cuts there only needs to be 12 on Tuesday. I would spare Gallon, an OL (Devey or Halapio), and either a LB (Morris) or DB (Swanson or Hawkins).

Morris and Gallon are interesting choices, IMO, @jmt. I'm not sure BB wants to expose them to the extra days of availability.

Morris and Gallon are interesting choices, IMO, @jmt. I'm not sure BB wants to expose them to the extra days of availability.
True, I don't disagree with that line of thinking.

I found the exercise of getting down to 75 players to be more difficult than I thought it would be.

Agreed. Hilapio too.

Whos Not

Wendell - C
Devey - G
Chung - S
Anderson - LB
Boyce - WR

Mixed Bag

Lafell - WR
Worthy - DT* (first game in about a year though)
White - RB
Regardless of this, Lafell and Anderson are somewhat proven, and proven commodities in the league respectively, so they're going nowhere. Not to mention there's no one behind them with near the talent.

True, I don't disagree with that line of thinking.

I found the exercise of getting down to 75 players to be more difficult than I thought it would be.

I hear you. Those two and Worthy are going to be interesting decisions, IMO, due to their limited playing/practicing time.

My Final 53 looks like this..

QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Garoppolo
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Develin, White, Bolden
WR (7) Edelman, Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, LaFell, Slater, Tyms*
TE (2) Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui
C (2) Wendell, Stork
G (3) Mankins, Connolly, Kline
T (5) Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Devey, Fleming
DE (4) Jones, Ninkovich, Buchanan, Moore
DT (6) Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Easley, Vellano
ILB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Beauharnais
OLB(2) Collins, Fleming
CB (6) Revis, Dennard, Browner*, Arrington, Ryan, Butler
SS (3) Harmon, Wilson, Ebner
FS (1) McCourty
ST (3) Gostkowski, Allen, Aiken

Total players: 55
Created with Pats Picker: http://patspicker.patsfans.com

Keeping extra at some positions for safety because of injuries and keeping the likes of Moore and Fleming (LB) because Belichick always seems to like to carry a couple developmental projects on the 53

My cuts after this game to get from 87 to 75 are..
DB Jamea Thomas
LB James Morris
DB Shamiel Gary
DL Eathyn Manumaleuna
DL Will Smith
WR Wilson Van Hooser
DB Daxton Swanson
OL Braxston Cave
LB Deontae Skinner
RB Tyler Gaffney
LB Cameron Gordon
OL Chris Martin
I believe Gaffney, Gordon and Martin are injured so they'll prolly go on some reserve list or something.

Edit: My first time I posted my cuts i cut too many DL. Keep Bequette and Tuipulotu till next cut down and cut Skinner and Gary this cut.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back