Welcome to PatsFans.com

Post Your Saddam's Execution Thoughts

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Dec 30, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +874 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Post your thoughts.

As much as Saddam deserved to die I feel his execution was another huge mistake. It will be seen as America executing Saddam...these people are way ahead of us in the public relations area.

Life in prison would have been a better sentence in this case. No communication allowed to the public ... even through lawyers.
    Simply forgotten and left to rot in jail ... but not a Martyr.

That Saddam acknowledged Mohammed the messenger of God ... that was a farce and flies in the face of what Saddam always believed. I believed he said it and did all the actions he did to enhance his martyrdom.

many thousands of people will die forever due to this execution...people will discuss Saddam ... like Hitler and all brutal dictators until the end of time.

Rather sad how it turned out. Saddam could have stopped the violence. he could have called for national unity. he could have been used to aid the healing process. Now, a usefull person is dead and more than ever there is no turning back on a very, very tragic mistake.

I believe Saddam's execution was the 2nd worst mistake of the war. The 1st still is the disbanding of the police and military.
  2. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wish the world could see it over and over again.

They see enough beheadings

They see enough planes flying into towers

They see enough people jumping from the WTC

They see enough people being dragged through streets and hung from bridges

They see enough ladies underwear on heads

Let them and the world see justice for once.
  3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +874 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

The public seemed to get alot of satisfaction from hangings and
    executions in the old days. From everything I have read...it is the botched
    executions that caused them to go away. A very interesting debate.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +531 / 2 / -9

John Fonda Kerry, Uncle Teddy and Pant Suit Hillary all wanted "Saddam Gone"

He's gone, whos next?
    :bricks:
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ok, but Saddam had nothing to do with any of those...

anyhow, his trial in an Iraqi court was important... but I agree the region would be better served if he spent the rest of his life rotting in prison...

it is a shame, though, that Bush would never agree to meet with him... rumors that he plotted to kill Bush Sr. were just that, rumors... it's been completely debunked by the CIA and others...
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

He got what he deserved. It was the correct outcome. If the rest of the world and the middle east don't like it, so be it. The idea that a murderous dictator could be used to stop the violence is weird to say the least. The more Saddams that die the better.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +531 / 2 / -9

We should have had Little George Bush around in 1939.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +424 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

He didn't, the Iraqis did.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

:eat1: You're kidding, right? :rofl:
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -26

We have created a martyr, instead of just letting him rot in some far away prison where he could have died broken instead of someone making a political statement. There will be the atypical response that Iraq did it, but we as a nation are complicit, and we share the same responsibility as they do.
  11. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Those instances werent an effort to connect Saddam. It was more a slap at the media.
  12. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Is Saddam Obi-frackin Wan Kenobi now? "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can imagine"

Nothing but doom and gloom from our resident lefties. Not ONE time can they rejoice in some good news. Not ONCE. (Unless its a political victory for their side of course)

P.S Is Timothy McVeigh a martyr?
  13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +182 / 4 / -6

As I said in another thread, the images of Saddam's execution show just how barbaric the death penalty is. If his helps Iraq in any way, then it will be worthwhile. But, I think he had the support of close to 20% of the people, so his death might just make things worse in Iraq. Carrying out his execution at this time was simply a pathetic show of power by a largely emasculated Iraqi government. I think they should have waited until things got more stable.
  14. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um, that support was pretty much Baathists and Sunnis. THey cant get any angrier. They're pretty much doing all their dirty deeds as is.

Gloom Doom Gloom Doom Gloom Doom!!!
  15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +874 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Is it fair to say Iraq's moving on now with him dead is worth more than making him a martyr? I am not sure. What you post is how I feel also. Longterm him being a martyr will cause many more deaths than the short term results of making the Shia happy.

Should his death force the Shia to be more conciliatory with the Sunni then the short term advantage will be a good one. However, I don't believe the Shia are anymore trustworthy than the Sunni. Only the Kurds seem to be somewhat trustworthy at all.

Anyways ... I hate that we made him a martyr ... rotting in jail would have been much, much better and a cowards death would have been preferred IMO.
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -26

Time would have made him a less savory person and definitely not a martyr, and he may have just faded into obscurity.. consider ted kaczinski, Terry Nichols, the Atlanta bomber, Massoui(sp)... out of sight out of mind.. send him to guantanamo... let him bake in the Caribbean sun.
  17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +874 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Makes alot of sense .... then again the current leaders get no popularity for that which is why most that we are involved in is backwards many times. It will come back to haunt us as Arabs think in terms of 10 years , 20 - 50 -100 - 500 years and it's all the same.
  18. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Saddam didn't get a fair trial. The 'government' that had him in custody is not a legitimate one. When there is civil warring there is no such thing as a legitimate government; it has not consolidated power in the form of public support. Therefore, his trial was unfair/illegitimate/farcical, as was his being held in custody by said 'government.' When the US became involved, it became an international ordeal and he should have been sent to the Hague. Having the Iraq 'government' conduct business was a PR move by the US to give a thin veneer of legitimacy to its own actions and the new Parliamentary government.

Also, it's sick that in 2006/7 we are still killing people in the name of justice (by hanging no less!) At least give him a firing squad like he asked for...
  19. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

I believe capital punishment is, at times and in extreme circumstances, necessary for the greater good...

...but if the day ever comes when I view an execution, any execution, as good news I'll swallow a bunch of glass, because I will have failed as a f*****g human being.
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +424 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

The person I saw on TV about this said it was fair but borderline - however she also said that the evidence was abundant and overwhelming and any borderline unfairness was clearly outweighed by the evidence.

F*ck Saddam, he hung people by the thousands, pushed them off buildings, chemicaled them, this was better than he deserved.