PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-Interactive Draft Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
As the interactive draft seems to be winding down at this point, I thought I'd do an analysis on each team's picks. Feel free to criticize my opinions mercilessly. :D

Arizona: DB Williams, TE Byrd. If Williams plays free safety, this is a good pick. Byrd will be a good blocker but is not considered a great wide receiver. B
Atlanta: CB Youbouty. The Falcons made the most of what they had. B
Baltimore: OT Justice, OG Jean-Gilles. With bigger needs at other positions, especially defensive back, the Ravens still selected Jean-Gilles. Youbouty or Zemaitis would have been a better pick. C+
Buffalo: TE Davis, DT Wroten. Davis was a steal, but who is going to throw to him? Wroten has questionable character problems and tested positive during the drug testing. C
Carolina: DT Watson, RB Maroney. The Panthers made one of the biggest steals of the day when they selected Maroney, but they should have traded down in the 1st. B
Chicago: S Whitner, TE Klopfenstein. Though the Bears could still use another LB, they took two good players who should be able to contribute. A-
Cincinnati: TE Pope, FS Bullocks. The Bengals made a good pick with Pope, but they reached for Bullocks. B
Cleveland: DT Bunkley, WR Jennings. Better players were available at both picks. B-
Dallas: LB Greenway, DB Zemaitis. The Cowboys selected two good-value players at need positions who can immediately contribute. A
Denver: WR Holmes, WR Moss, DE Tapp. Though both Moss and Holmes are good players, they aren’t both necessary; Jason Allen would have been a better pick at 23. Tapp was a good value pick. B
Detroit: DB Huff, OT Colledge. For the first time this millennium, or at least it feels like, the Lions stayed away from WRs in the first round and selected two excellent players. A-
Green Bay: DE Williams, OG Joseph. The Packers selected two players that are top-ranked at their positions and fell considerably to reach them. A+
Houston: RB Bush, DE Kiwanuka. The Texans made the obvious pick at #1 and selected their future strong-side linebacker at #33. A-
Indianapolis: RB Williams. The Colts traded away a lot of picks for no apparent reason, though the Williams trade was beneficial. B-
Jacksonville: LB Carpenter, RB Addai. Two of the BPAs were selected, but I’m not really stunned by either of them. B
Kansas City: CB Cromartie, OT Scott. Both picks are likely developmental, but both appear to have great upside. A-
Miami: LB Wimbley. The Dolphins did the best they could with their first pick, selecting a pass-rushing LB who will help on the blitz. B
Minnesota: LB Sims, CB Marshall, RB White. Three excellent players were selected at good value. A
New England: LB Lawson, CB Jennings, LB MacIntosh. Though no WR was picked, three solid players were selected. B+
New Orleans: OT Ferguson, LB Howard. The Saints select another OT in the first two rounds and don’t take the best LB left at 34. B-
New York Giants: LB Ryans, OG Spencer. Two okay players were selected. C+
New York Jets: QB Young, C Mangold, OT Winston. The Young pick was a surprise, but the other two were good value. B+
Oakland: DT Ngata, QB Cutler. Best draft of the day. Period. A++
Philadelphia: DE Hali, TE Lewis. The Eagles select a local prospect to help out at DE even though they have Kearse and Howard. Lewis is a good value pick. B
Pittsburgh: FS Simpson, WR Hagan. Two “need” picks were made, but both players are good. B+
San Diego: WR Jackson, ILB Jackson. The trade up to nab the best WR available out from Denver’s grasp was a good move, and Jackson was an excellent value pick, especially with Edwards on the trade block. A
San Francisco: LB Hawk, OT McNeil. The 49ers got a huge steal at #6 with Hawk and will love having a big tackle like McNeil blocking for Alex Smith. A-
Seattle: CB Joseph, OG Matua. Both picks seem like reaches. C+
St. Louis: CB Hill, DT Harris. Both players will be able to contribute to one of the worst defenses in the league. A-
Tampa Bay: DB Allen, SS Bing. Why were two safeties selected in a row? B
Tennessee: QB Leinart, LB Hodge. The Titans got exactly which players they wanted at their two biggest need positions. A
Washington: OG Latui. With only one Day 1 pick, Washington better hope Latui performs. B

Last edited:
Nice summary so far of what has transpired in the draft and I would like to add as in anything thats new the bugs have to be worked out and I think we learned a lot from this experience and next year when we do thie draft we will set some ground rules for the participants because I know I enjoyed doing this but the long delays did take some of the excitement out of this years interactive mock and I know we have many knowledgeable and dedicated people here that it will be much better next time around.

Reminds me a lot of Ivy League grade inflation.

flutie2phelan said:
Reminds me a lot of Ivy League grade inflation.

Was it Lake Wobegon, where everybody's kids were above average?

Next year, we need to pick a weekend, and get firm commitments that everybody will check in to make their picks. If you're not around that weekend, tough break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back