Post game thoughts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
First I thought I'd compare what I hoped I would see to what actually happened

1. At least 4 pass plays that get the ball to Moroney in space.
Well they threw one pass to him and he ran about 30 yds with it. I would have liked to see him getting more involved in the passing game. Maybe next year.
2. I want to lose the coin toss and get the ball in the second half..
Well I got my wish and it almost backfired, but basically if Gotcha made the chip shot at the end of the half, the Pats would have been up 10 in the 2nd half before the Jags got the ball. Come next week I hope we lose the toss to the Colts
3. I want to see Moroney get 20+ carries in this game..
I got my wish and was rewarded beyond my hopes. I hope everyone now realizes that if the Pats braintrust decided to go into a game with a plan that featured the run, Maroney woiuld get his yards. I hope we can get off the bust crap and understand that a good deal of Moroney's lack of production early on in the season was due to his shoulder and the lack of opportunity

4. I'd like to see the ball thrown more to Gaffney and Stallworth more in the first half. That should loosen the tight coverage we should expect to see on Moss and Welker....and it wouldn't hurt to see a few more balls throw to Ben Watson either.
Given the fact Randy only had one reception, I think I got my wish here too. I'll comment more on this later on.

5. I doubt we can completely stuff the Jags running game for the entire game. IMO anything less than 130 yds on the ground will be good enough to cement a win. However I'd like to think that the Pats defensive scheme will be such that it will shut the run down for at least the first 2 Jags possessions. It will take at least that long for the Jags to breakdown what we are doing to stop the run, and then devise a solution for it, and then get that info down to the team..
With the Jags held to well under 100 yds (IIRC 48 for Taylore and about 30 for MJD) I think we did a great job against the run, better than I could hope for. Though the Jags passed the ball better than I thought those first 2 drives

6. I'm looking for an A game from our coverage teams. That means NEVER allowing the KO team to get the ball out beyond the 35 and having the majority of the returns inside the 25.
KO coverage was superb. Better than I hoped for. They had 6 KOs. 2 made to just outside the 30, and the rest were held inside the 25, IIRC The Punt game wasn't a factor for either team, since the Pats didn't stunt until the game was out of reach.

7. On defense as a whole, I expect them to only allow 2 TDs, any other trips to the red zone have to result in FGs or less..
Right on the money again (if I do say so myself ;) ). The Pats alowed 4 trips inside the red zon, and gave up 2 TDs and 2 FGs

8. No plays given up greater than 35 yds..
I think the Jags had 2 plays over 35, but not much more than that. No killer kicking game plays or long runs or passes

9. I can live with 1 turnover, 2 if we get at least 2 of their's.
Again better than expect since we wound up being +2

know that's not asking much. Personally I think we will roll this game comfortably, and my ony fear are injuries..
Not quite as comfortable as I would have liked or would have felt if we hadn't missed the FG, but I never really worried after we scored that first 2nd half TD. AND it looked to me, just on the surface that we survived the game without any significant injuries.

So I guess by and large, I got pretty much what I wanted out of this game. I hope I am as lucky in the next one. :D. Now on to some general comments.

1. We are going to hear a lot about question about our defense going into the next game, especially if/when we play the Colts. The stat that most of them WON'T mention is that the second half score was 17-6. That's not bad defense, in fact that's GREAT defense in the playoffs. Which could have been better if Rodney hadn't dropped an easy one in the endzone.

2. What is it about the Pats that brings out the best in so called average QBs. David Garrad would have won 9 out of 10 games with how he played last night. He made about 3 plays that were down right spectacular last night.

The first TD pass was one. I don't care if his knee was down or not, the effort was spectacular. The play were Northcut dropped the TD was another. It was a spectacular throw made under severe pressure while he was going down. I mean it was right on the money against tight coverage. The third one was the 2nd TD. That was made again with pressure right in his face and into a tight spot. If that pass is just a little underthrown then it would have been a pick six. A little overthrown and its out of bounds. Instead, under preasure, and off his back foot, the kid threw a perfect pass.

Outside of these plays he was very accurate most of the time with the rest of his passes. He looked very poised in the pocket and moved around very well buying more time more often than not. This is a kid who will be one of the better QBs in the league for the next few years (BTW the Kid's 30)

3. I thoiught the 2nd unsportsmanlike conduct call on Rodney was a bad one. The first one was marginable, but so was the one on Brady. They showed the replay of a face mask call against one of the DLmen early in the game, and I'm still waiting to see a hand on a face mask. AND I they missed a face mask against Welker, but over all, I thought the refs did a good job, and my complaints are rather nitpicking.

4. I wonder how many games Randy Moss has had more good blocks than catches. :D

5. Yeah Brady through a block on the double reverse, but lets be fair about it. It was HIS man who made the tackle, and probably saved a TD. Get ready for some humble pie TOMMY! especially when Welker sees who kept him out of the endzone :D

6. The Jags didn't stop the Pats ONCE. They didn't get a TD in the first half (the FG miss, because of the chop block call. Its tough to come back from 2nd and 26, though they got back 23 of them. The other time was due to the Welker drop. It was simply an AWESOME offensive display against a very good defense. I can't say enough about Brady's patience, and it should shut up any critics who thought he was going to Moss too often.

7. I'd like to be more critical of the secondary and the pass defense because some of those receivers looked WIDE open, but I'm not sure I can, because I don't know what the coverages were and how often the receiver was open because of the design of the defense. Suffice it to say, I'm sure there WERE several mistakes, but probably not as many as we would think just from looking at the TV feed.

I could guess that one of the key goals of the pass defense was to not allow the Jags to get big passing plays, and that's difficult when you are putting 8 in the box to stop the run. There will be a lot of room underneath and not a lot of safety help. I will tell you this that you will see a much tighter set of coverage schemes against the Colts

8. BTW- speaking of possible negatives, I had a glass of milk after the game and AThomas' picture was on the carton. I wonder if, even on the outside, he's still learning the position. I don't see him playing badly, its just I don't see him making the "big plays" that would justify the big salary. BTW- base on this game, its a good thing that Vrabel already was sent his tickets to Hawaii, since I don't remember hearing his name called much this game. The best LBs on the field THIS game were the Old guys

9. Stallworth Watson and Gaffney all showed up big for the Pats. Stallworth is a BEAST after he makes the catch. I surely would love to see him back next year, but I just don't see how the Pats can make it work capwise, unless he AND Moss make some pretty big concessions.

I'll be back to respond to this, and look forward to doing a post on why beating the Colts next week might be easier than what we had to do vs the Jags. (BTW- I truly believe that the Jags will win that division next year).

Last edited:
I know I sound like a broken record, Ken, but I would pay REAL money to read you.

Has anyone noticed that, were it not for two GLARINGLY WRONG facemask calls in the first half (the one against the Pats that turned into 1st and 10 at the 18 on the first Jag TD drive and the one NOT called on the 3rd down short Welker completion play before Ghost's missed FG), that the first half would have probably ended 21-7 Patriots?

edit: Yup, you had it right there in point #3. I should've known.

I know I sound like a broken record, Ken, but I would pay REAL money to read you.

Has anyone noticed that, were it not for two GLARINGLY WRONG facemask calls in the first half (the one against the Pats that turned into 1st and 10 at the 18 on the first Jag TD drive and the one NOT called on the 3rd down short Welker completion play before Ghost's missed FG), that the first half would have probably ended 21-7 Patriots?

Yeah those facemask calls were complete BS, the one called on the Pats, his hand was on the top of the guys helmet. Meanwhile Wes looks like the girl from the exorcist and nothing.

5. Yeah Brady through a block on the double reverse, but lets be fair about it. It was HIS man who made the tackle, and probably saved a TD. Get ready for some humble pie TOMMY! especially when Welker sees who kept him out of the endzone

Actually, I was more struck with what a great play it was for Welker to make sure he was tackled IN BOUNDS on that play. He went down at around 2:28 (2nd Quarter). This kept the clock running right into the two minute warning. Had he let himself get out of bounds, it would have stopped the clock for at least another play or two.

Why would this be significant? At that time, the Jags O had been moving methodically down the field on the Pats. Using up as much time on the Pats drive was for the best for Welker as even a FG would get us into the half with a 3 point lead and the ball at the beginning of the 2nd half. It would also get our D off the field and into the lockerroom for 2nd half adjustments (which they DID make, didn't they ;) ) without a chance for another Jag score.

OK, so the Ghost missed the FG, but the Jags had only something like 1 minute with the ball, instead of 2 minutes at the end ofthe half. Smart football player that Welker. He did the same thing on that last first down catch in the Colt game.

Great post as usual, Ken. Good thorough analysis. Of the many things I'll remember from this game, Maroney's performance is the one that has me most excited. On several plays designed to go up the middle, he saw congestion and bounced it to the outside with great success. Wow! That was fun watching Laurence run the way many knew he was capable. This game simply cements the fact that he is a RB on a passing team. When the game strategy calls for a short passing game mixed liberally with runs, he steps in and does his job. His blocking was great. I don't want to forget the O-line or Kevin Faulk either, as they were excellent in the running and passing games. What beasts!!!!

Your material should be "stickied" on a regular basis... Almost missed it in all the other posts.

As usual - excellent read.

2 additional thoughts...

1) S. Neal (and the entire OL) were beasts! Many pancakes...

2) R. Gay made himself A LOT of money last night. He was equal to or better than the other Pats corner.

First I thought I'd compare what I hoped I would see to what actually happened

Well they threw one pass to him and he ran about 30 yds with it. I would have liked to see him getting more involved in the passing game. Maybe next year.

Well I got my wish and it almost backfired, but basically if Gotcha made the chip shot at the end of the half, the Pats would have been up 10 in the 2nd half before the Jags got the ball. Come next week I hope we lose the toss to the Colts

I got my wish and was rewarded beyond my hopes. I hope everyone now realizes that if the Pats braintrust decided to go into a game with a plan that featured the run, Maroney woiuld get his yards. I hope we can get off the bust crap and understand that a good deal of Moroney's lack of production early on in the season was due to his shoulder and the lack of opportunity

Given the fact Randy only had one reception, I think I got my wish here too. I'll comment more on this later on.

With the Jags held to well under 100 yds (IIRC 48 for Taylore and about 30 for MJD) I think we did a great job against the run, better than I could hope for. Though the Jags passed the ball better than I thought those first 2 drives

KO coverage was superb. Better than I hoped for. They had 6 KOs. 2 made to just outside the 30, and the rest were held inside the 25, IIRC The Punt game wasn't a factor for either team, since the Pats didn't stunt until the game was out of reach.

Right on the money again (if I do say so myself ;) ). The Pats alowed 4 trips inside the red zon, and gave up 2 TDs and 2 FGs

I think the Jags had 2 plays over 35, but not much more than that. No killer kicking game plays or long runs or passes

Again better than expect since we wound up being +2

Not quite as comfortable as I would have liked or would have felt if we hadn't missed the FG, but I never really worried after we scored that first 2nd half TD. AND it looked to me, just on the surface that we survived the game without any significant injuries.

So I guess by and large, I got pretty much what I wanted out of this game. I hope I am as lucky in the next one. :D. Now on to some general comments.

1. We are going to hear a lot about question about our defense going into the next game, especially if/when we play the Colts. The stat that most of them WON'T mention is that the second half score was 17-6. That's not bad defense, in fact that's GREAT defense in the playoffs. Which could have been better if Rodney hadn't dropped an easy one in the endzone.

2. What is it about the Pats that brings out the best in so called average QBs. David Garrad would have won 9 out of 10 games with how he played last night. He made about 3 plays that were down right spectacular last night.

The first TD pass was one. I don't care if his knee was down or not, the effort was spectacular. The play were Northcut dropped the TD was another. It was a spectacular throw made under severe pressure while he was going down. I mean it was right on the money against tight coverage. The third one was the 2nd TD. That was made again with pressure right in his face and into a tight spot. If that pass is just a little underthrown then it would have been a pick six. A little overthrown and its out of bounds. Instead, under preasure, and off his back foot, the kid threw a perfect pass.

Outside of these plays he was very accurate most of the time with the rest of his passes. He looked very poised in the pocket and moved around very well buying more time more often than not. This is a kid who will be one of the better QBs in the league for the next few years (BTW the Kid's 30)

3. I thoiught the 2nd unsportsmanlike conduct call on Rodney was a bad one. The first one was marginable, but so was the one on Brady. They showed the replay of a face mask call against one of the DLmen early in the game, and I'm still waiting to see a hand on a face mask. AND I they missed a face mask against Welker, but over all, I thought the refs did a good job, and my complaints are rather nitpicking.

4. I wonder how many games Randy Moss has had more good blocks than catches. :D

5. Yeah Brady through a block on the double reverse, but lets be fair about it. It was HIS man who made the tackle, and probably saved a TD. Get ready for some humble pie TOMMY! especially when Welker sees who kept him out of the endzone :D

6. The Jags didn't stop the Pats ONCE. They didn't get a TD in the first half (the FG miss, because of the chop block call. Its tough to come back from 2nd and 26, though they got back 23 of them. The other time was due to the Welker drop. It was simply an AWESOME offensive display against a very good defense. I can't say enough about Brady's patience, and it should shut up any critics who thought he was going to Moss too often.

7. I'd like to be more critical of the secondary and the pass defense because some of those receivers looked WIDE open, but I'm not sure I can, because I don't know what the coverages were and how often the receiver was open because of the design of the defense. Suffice it to say, I'm sure there WERE several mistakes, but probably not as many as we would think just from looking at the TV feed.

I could guess that one of the key goals of the pass defense was to not allow the Jags to get big passing plays, and that's difficult when you are putting 8 in the box to stop the run. There will be a lot of room underneath and not a lot of safety help. I will tell you this that you will see a much tighter set of coverage schemes against the Colts

8. BTW- speaking of possible negatives, I had a glass of milk after the game and AThomas' picture was on the carton. I wonder if, even on the outside, he's still learning the position. I don't see him playing badly, its just I don't see him making the "big plays" that would justify the big salary. BTW- base on this game, its a good thing that Vrabel already was sent his tickets to Hawaii, since I don't remember hearing his name called much this game. The best LBs on the field THIS game were the Old guys

9. Stallworth Watson and Gaffney all showed up big for the Pats. Stallworth is a BEAST after he makes the catch. I surely would love to see him back next year, but I just don't see how the Pats can make it work capwise, unless he AND Moss make some pretty big concessions.

I'll be back to respond to this, and look forward to doing a post on why beating the Colts next week might be easier than what we had to do vs the Jags. (BTW- I truly believe that the Jags will win that division next year).

Being new to this board, That is the MOST insightful analysis I have ever read on a Message board. (and about 99% accurate)
I think the "throw from his knees" would NOT have been overturned. Not exactly clear if his leg was down as the ball came out.
As a whole, I was happy with the calls by the refs. (Brady gets an A for acting on the RTQ call) Welkers "necktie" was missed (but like you said, thats nitpicking)
The two things I would like to see the Pats do better is Tackle, and get more pressure on the QB (without the Blitz)
Next week should be interesting no matter who it is

Thanks for another excellent post, Patsfanken.

Good job as usual Ken!! One note on Vrabe's play....I thought he'd get Garrard a couple of times, but Garrard seemed to channel Brady with his moves in the pocket! I think Garrard is deceptively smooth moving (sort of like Randy) in that he's slippery with out appearing to move very fast.
Most of the first half and some of the 2nd, the D seemed to be content to just contain, and didn't really turn up the heat until later. Probably wanting to get the Jax O as tired as possible before really dialing it up!

2 additional thoughts...

1) S. Neal (and the entire OL) were beasts! Many pancakes...

2) R. Gay made himself A LOT of money last night. He was equal to or better than the other Pats corner.

#1 is a good point, but you left out Kyle Brady in that equation....as did I in my original post. Having those 2 back had more of a an effect on the running game than will be talked about.

Some other thoughts upon second reflection

1. I have to date (11,30am) I have only heard one media puke mention that the Pats held the best running attack in the AFC to 63 yds, yet every one of them questioned the Pats defense as their only weakness.

2. Our defensive plan for the Colts will be much different for the Colts. I'll take a shot at guessing at it in my Colts game post later in the week.

3. Speaking of the Colts, I'm real happy that they will have Marvin back. I don't want to hear any excuses from Polian.

4. "Wow, if the Jags can put up 20 against the Pats what will the Colts do" is the LATEST rant of Pats haters/whiners in the media. They ignore the fact the over the last 6 games of the season the Jags scored JUST AS MANY points as the Pats....Thats MORE, many more, than the Colts during the same period, IIRC.

5. I'm also tired about hearing how the Pats went out and got 3 :WRs because we lost a game we scored 34 points to the Colts in the AFCCG. Earth to the media....we lost that game because we ran out of DBs and LBs for the 2nd half of that game. IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE DEFENSE in that loss NOT the offense :rolleyes

6. The Pats had 5 personal fouls in this game - THAT has GOT to be a record.... and not a good one. Those penalties had a big effect on those Jag scoring drives.

7. The special teams performance will go unnoticed by most, but not ME...and I hope not you. It is one of the BIG match up advantages we will have next week....but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I thought both cornerbacks for the Patriots played lousy last night.

If memory serves, both Jag's touchdown's were on third downs, and in light of the pressure and throws, could well have been field goals as well. That would have been a 12 point effort by the D.

I game plan on defence appeared to be stop the run, no big pass plays, then blitz in the redzone as the field shortens. They really had trouble with our blitz packages, though Garrard did a good job of improvising.

Excellent analysis PFK.

I thought both cornerbacks for the Patriots played lousy last night.

Were you at the game? It's tough to evaluate DB play from a camera that's focused on the quarterback 90% of the time. I agree there seemed to be some mistakes on zone coverages. I'm not sure where to place the blame.

As was pointed out in another thread, the 6-point second half can be broken down into two parts:

1. Two JAX possessions on which they got FGs.
2. The period when JAX was pressing with a two-score deficit and the Pats destroyed them.

Good job by the bend-not-break crew, but perhaps not all that outstanding.

And yes -- Garrard made a bunch of great throws. But Manning can make those too.

Vrabel was flat-out decleated on one play where he rushed. I don't recall the last time I've seen that. On the other hand -- SOMEBODY was getting pressure on Garrard, and the runs didn't seem to go to Vrabel's side either. So I'm not too worried about him.

I'm also not too worried about the tackling. The other guys get paid too. The first hit didn't always bring a guy down, but it did almost always slow him down a lot.

Last edited:
Were you at the game? It's tough to evaluate DB play from a camera that's focused on the quarterback 90% of the time. I agree there seemed to be some mistakes on zone coverages. I'm not sure where to place the blame.
If the Patriots play the Colts in the AFC Championship that will need to be corrected. Also, the Patriots pass rush needs to be more consistent without blitzing the quarterback.

Fortunately, the Patriots offense will have an easier time with the Colts defense this time around since Dwight Freeney has been placed on injured reserve.

Obviously there will be limitations in judging the play of cornerbacks, but it looked liked Marcedes Lewis beat Gay on the big gains early in the game, and I noticed some other plays that seemed as if they were the fault of Gay. There was one long completion that looked like it was just a soft spot in the area between the zones of the RCB and S. The fourth down completion over Samuel may have been zone but to me (a noted amateur) it seemed like Samuel abandoned his coverage because Garrard was moving out of the pocket. The second of the two TDs was on Samuel as he slowed up and peaked into the backfield instead of sticking to his man (as noted by Simms and Nantz, though, that is a difficult route to defend deep in the red zone) and I also got the feeling the first TD pass was on Samuel but I have no physical evidence to support that feeling. I think the play of the corners was less than ideal and part of that was because Gay was forced into more time because of Hobbs's injury (who seemed to play much more late in the game).

Is it Reiss' blog that usually breaks down how many plays each player plays? I thought Merriweather played more than he ever has.

Although the Jags are getting lambasted in the media for not blitzing, I felt that they would have beaten any other team in the league with that performance.

Bring on the Colts.

I always look eagerly for Patfanken's thoughts after a game. Awesome stuff as usual! Thanks Ken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes