PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikey said:
I thought our D was awful in the second half.

Bollinger was throwing like an All-Pro against our secondary, just like Matt Schaub and Kelly Holcomb.

You got to be kidding me. What you saw is that when we go vanilla, we give up yards but that is it. We were up 28-7, no worries. And really, if BB wanted to shut down Vinny, it is easy enough. Up to that point, the Jets had ~50 yards of total offense.

If Teddy comes back, we will roll into the playoffs.

Also, Monty looked pretty good last night as well.

I thought he (beisel) looked better then he did at any other point in the year.

BelichickFan said:
It's the only Patriots win I remember watching where I honestly believe if we'd played it 100 times the Patriots would have won all 100.

If BB wanted to our offense could have put up 50+ on them last night.

Review of last night

Offense:

Very vanilla game plan. It was obvious the Pats wanted to work on running the ball and they did. I saw a couple of things. First the Pats OL got a decent push at the snap of the ball, but they did not sustain the blocks so the Jets LBs cleaned up Dillon almost all night near the LOS. Kazcur had no trouble blowing Vilma/Abraham off the line, but he didn't keep hiis feet moving so they went right around him. I think defensive lineman have figured Neal out because he got shedded a couple of times and it was embarrassing. Gorin got lazy on a couple of plays and that can not happen in the playoffs.
Watson can not block very well. If you add Graham's blocking to this line, we should be able to run the ball for at least another half yard per rush attempt. Several times Dillon cut back toward the end of the line only to find Watson shed like a rag doll and Jet defenders waiting for him.

Wide receivers. The routes lack substance. We ran two basic patterns and that was it. Now it may have been by design or just a ploy by BB, but we lack the originality we had previously with all the multiple route variations.

Defense

In the first half the played a semi vanilla defense and had great success. After the long drive to start the third quarter, they played vanilla prevent defense.
Beisel still is not filling the gaps timely. I saw two 5 yard runs by the Jets that should have been 2 yard runs, if Beisel fills at the snap of the ball.
Seymour - what a beast. In the first half they turned him lose and he was pushing the pocket and taking up two and three blockers.

If Bruschi can not come back for the playoffs, I think we should go 4-3 on first and second down.

Hobbs boned up a couple of plays, but he played very aggressively. He continues to improve.

mgcolby said:
I thought he (beisel) looked better then he did at any other point in the year.

I agree. I mean obviously you saw some more runs up the middle, moreso than you would had Bruschi been in there. But Biesel attacked the ball carrier alot better last night imo.

I think the game plan for last night was to just get as many snaps in for the OL and running game as possible. The loss of Koppen, Light, and Kazur for some games, as well as Faulk, Dillon and Pass, has made getting those guys in sync on that line even more important as we come up to the playoffs.
I wouldn't be a worried about the later part of the game as we seemed to go mostly zone, probably to keep injury to a minimum, and that gave the Jets some wiggle room.

Running Game

YPC matters less than total carries because more commitment to running game means you can afford to run the clock and take short gains. They just had a big study on it at ESPN and found that YPC is a big myth. Carries is what really matters.

Which makes sense when you think about it. More carries = more wear on the defense and more possession time which leads to longer runs when it's time to kill the clock.

BruschiOnTap said:
YPC matters less than total carries because more commitment to running game means you can afford to run the clock and take short gains. They just had a big study on it at ESPN and found that YPC is a big myth. Carries is what really matters.

Which makes sense when you think about it. More carries = more wear on the defense and more possession time which leads to longer runs when it's time to kill the clock.

There is even more to it than that.
ANY team, if they knew they could win a game by running on every single play would do it.
That also leads to any team would also run on the highest percentage of plays they could.
There is no reason to throw if you can run at will. And even if you cant run at will, you run as much as you can, because the more you run, the better you will pass.

So the number of carries really are an indication of success running, measured by being in down and distance where you CAN run (and of course staying on the field).

Many carries by definition says you played well that day because you were able to run it a lot, whether by success, score or a combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes