PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Obv. the Bruschi injury overshadows any positives and is the big takeaway from this game. Hopefully its nothing serious and he is back for the playoffs.

Outside of that, I thought it was a good effort by the D and that they O did enough when it counted, though certainly wasn't its sharpest performance.

If you think about it, in the first half, if the Brady doesn't throw that INT and they get at least a FG out of it, that's pretty much a near perfect half of football that the Pats put together, on both sides of the ball.

Then the long 9+ min drive in the 2nd half was the backbreaker, a real championship drive. The game was pretty much over at that point, and the somewhat lackadaisacal play of the Pats from then on indicated to me that they were just waiting for the game to end.

No real positives to take from the game IMO, but no real glaring negatives either. A very commonplace perfunctory win, but really that was all that was necessary.

I would have liked to see the ground game look better, though I was happy with the commitment to it.

Brady was good enough considering the conditions.

And the D was its normal smothering self, except for the one garbage TD drive they gave up. (I'm not even couting the Vinnie drive as the backups were in).

I'd say a solid B. You're not going to dominate for a full 60 mins with even the backups as they did vs. Tampa, so you can't really complain.

There was the one botched hand-off, however as the game went on it looked like a little better timing in the running game.

If we get Bruschi back, I think we'll be fine. As long as Artrell Hawkins can limit the big play, which I believe he can do, we can compete with Indy. Asante was playing solid ball before he got hit too, which is a positive. Hobbs has a good game. You cant bang on brady, that TD takes 7 points off the board. We stopped blitzing towards the end of the game and just dropped into a zone coverage, which proved good for the Jets.

Overall a decent game in the eyes of a true pats fan. Of course, I wouldnt be surprised if the media hypes up on the fact that we let the Jets score 21 points. We shut them out in the first half, which is a very good thing.

Just keep your fingers crossed for Bruschi.

Box_O_Rocks said:
There was the one botched hand-off, however as the game went on it looked like a little better timing in the running game.

Like I said, it wasn't sexy, but the running game had teeth, very Antoine Smith, so to speak.

Just checked stat line: 50 carries for 150 yds. 3.0ypc. Yuck. But when you run the ball 50 times, you usually win. Still, 3ypc is unacceptable, they will have to get that up a full yard to do some damage come playoff time.

Last edited:
Considering the Jets overloaded against the run, They did pretty well.

Let the media hype the Jets, this was a live practice scrimmage for the most part.

tombonneau said:
Like I said, it wasn't sexy, but the running game had teeth, very Antoine Smith, so to speak.

Just checked stat line: 50 carries for 150 yds. 3.0ypc. Yuck. But when you run the ball 50 times, you usually win. Still, 3ypc is unacceptable, they will have to get that up a full yard to do some damage come playoff time.
That's why I call this a practice scrimmage, their practicing some things they want to do better. Emmitt Smith is saying that very thing on Total Access as I type.

skri65 said:
Overall a decent game in the eyes of a true pats fan. Of course, I wouldnt be surprised if the media hypes up on the fact that we let the Jets score 21 points. We shut them out in the first half, which is a very good thing.

Exactly. Looking at the game play stats, its 28-7 with 5 min to go in the 3rd after that big TD drive.

Like I said, if Brady doesn't throw that pick and they get at least a FG, its a 31-0 game with 20 min to play. That's not bad. :)

I thought our D was awful in the second half.

Bollinger was throwing like an All-Pro against our secondary, just like Matt Schaub and Kelly Holcomb.

NEM said:
Sometimes though, Josh McDaniel really pisses me off.
I saw Josh reading some notes handed too him on the sideline and shaking his head no...you were ignoring BB's game plan again weren't you?

mikey said:

Bollinger was throwing like an All-Pro against our secondary, just like Matt Schaub and Kelly Holcomb.

Thank you! I was saying this all night. The defense looked like **** in the second. Two reasons. As stated before, they played off alot and nomore blitzing. And we usually sent a 3 man rush. We gave them time and space, thus, they made some plays. Keep in mind though, we did lose our starting corner (nothing serious) and MLB before that.

They tried to attack Samuel, but before he went down he was having an excellent game. So imo it was due to Hawkins having to play CB (way to slow, thank GOD he is a safety) and less blitzing that really helped them out.

Sometimes though, Josh McDaniel really pisses me off.

Tell me about it. For god sake, it made no sense. I figured they ran so much to get the run game established. Yet in the end, they were passing? Why? why not just soften the D up and then run? The gameplan made no sense tonight

Box_O_Rocks said:
this was a live practice scrimmage for the most part.
Honestly..

I wouldn't worry much about the offensive gameplan. I think it was "Go out there and run the ball until I think you're running decently". We won't see a lot of runs on 3rd and 8 in the playoff games. It's kind of sad that the jesters are this bad but this was truly a nationally televised live practice/walkthrough.

BelichickFan said:
I wouldn't worry much about the offensive gameplan. I think it was "Go out there and run the ball until I think you're running decently". We won't see a lot of runs on 3rd and 8 in the playoff games. It's kind of sad that the jesters are this bad but this was truly a nationally televised live practice/walkthrough.

I agree, I think they went into this game with the plan to run a lot no matter what to get the timing and everything going to be sharp for the playoffs. Even when the jets stacked the box playing run they STILL ran it.

I also agree with NEM that in the end they were just trying to avoid injuries. With the game pretty much won, and samuel and bruschi gettin injured, they just wanted to finish the game with no more injuries. Really this game imo was just to work on things to get ready for the playoffs. Test some things out in actual game situations and get the rust off dillon et al.

Time of Posession for Patriots:43 (and a certain amount of seconds) minutes
Time of Posession for Jets: 16 (and a certain amount of seconds) minutes.

Even the Steelers who absolutely destroyed the browns 41-0 posessed the ball only 31 minutes.

We dominated last night.

GET WELL TEDDY!

Last edited:
mikey said:

Uuumm all pro? Drives of 107 yards in the first half and 162 in the second half INCLUDING penalties and 58 yards of garbage time prevent defense on Vinnies possession...so you can subtract that.

Bollinger threw for 100 yards...what game did you watch? 171 yards of offense generated by the jests. Besides the 58 yard drive at the end which the Pats pretty much gave them the Pats D dominated them.

If you think a QB that throws for 100 yards is an "all pro"...oh yeah subtract the 23 yards he lost after being sacked 4 times....gee can the Patriots do anything right?

NEM said:
Speaking of Excellent breaks on the ball. Ty Law made a fantastic break on Tom's ball there. He was clearly expecting that route....

pats-blue said:
Uuumm all pro? Drives of 107 yards in the first half and 162 in the second half INCLUDING penalties and 58 yards of garbage time prevent defense on Vinnies possession...so you can subtract that.

Bollinger threw for 100 yards...what game did you watch? 171 yards of offense generated by the jests. Besides the 58 yard drive at the end which the Pats pretty much gave them the Pats D dominated them.

If you think a QB that throws for 100 yards is an "all pro"...oh yeah subtract the 23 yards he lost after being sacked 4 times....gee can the Patriots do anything right?

Just another cliche driven post by Mikey.

I, too, am also unsure when the figures 11/19 100 yards for a WHOLE GAME, let alone a half, constitute all-pro performance.

I can only think that IN COMPARISON to the first half we were slightly more lax against the pass - which is not saying much bearing in mind how dominant we were.

NM

I am glad that I wasn't the only one who thought they were practicing. Hell they were practicing their 2 minute drill as if they didn't have any time outs. This game could have very easily been a massive blowout.

mgcolby said:
This game could have very easily been a massive blowout.
It's the only Patriots win I remember watching where I honestly believe if we'd played it 100 times the Patriots would have won all 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back