PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post game thoughts and other tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Its very hard to try and evaluate anything from a game were only back ups played and there was clearly no game planing. But I'll take a brief shot anyway:

1. In general, I think it bodes well for the defensive depth that the Pats played so well on that side of the ball, including 2 series against the Giants #1's. I especially liked the fact that in a half time interview BB stated the need to play better in the run game, and, voila, after the break the Pats DID play much better in the run game.

2. After 2 full years, we finally saw life from Jake Bequette. I thought he played very will this game, with several tackles including a sack and one tackle for a loss on a run. He set the edge well and it could be that he's a better fit as 3-4 OLB than he was as a 4-3 DE. But here's the problem for Bequette. Although he's playing much better this TC, I really like Zack Moore. For a kid who played at at a division 2 school. (think Bentley, and AIC), he has shown me more potential upside than Jake. If the choice winds up between the 2 of them, I think Moore needs to be a the guy who stays.

That being said, I would not be surprised to see Bequette get picked up if cut, with Dallas being a likely landing spot.

3. I'm very sad to say that there hasn't been a SINGLE run made by Robert White that would lead me to believe his an NFL quality RB. I doubt he has a single yd after contact this preseason. Yes he made a nice catch coming out of the backfield, but we have a bunch of other guys who can do that, and also add to more to ST's. I will be very disappointed in BB if White gets a roster spot. Why? Because it will mean that he got that spot only because he was a late 4th round pick. I'd like to think that one of BB's best qualities is that he's very comfortable admitting personnel mistakes and moving on. Personally I thought both Gray and Finch showed a LOT more than White. In a roster so tight and so many decent players fighting for a spot, giving one to Robert White just because he's a draft pick, would be a waste.

4. It was really good to see Darius Flemming hold up in the run game, by and large. He has KPL speed, and I think is going to be an asset in coverage and ST's. He is definitely one of those guys who deserves a roster spot. He's never going to make it to the PS.

5. Now to the OL - While its very hard to evaluate the OL in a game like this, I thought the OL did well in pass protection, especially in the first half. Not so much in the run game. Kline did get beat on a rush late in the game, but he did well the other 70 odd plays he was in. I think too much weight is put on single plays (both plus and minus) in these games.

The most important positive about this game was that a lot of young guys got a LOT of snaps and BB has enough film on them to make sound judgements on who gets roster spots.

6. Since who starts on the OL will be the most talked about topic the next 10 days, my guess is BB goes with the Vets and it will be Solder, Connolly, Wendelll, Cannon, and Volmer. The other 4 slots is anyone's guess.

7. I guess a Garapolo comment is mandatory, so here's mine. I thought his rawness was exposed more this game. But the qualities that will make him a fine NFL QB in a few years were still there to be seen. He showed poise under pressure, leadership, that awesome quick release, and very good instincts. Thus far you'd have to believe that he's one of the better rookie QB drafted this year, BUT, I don''t think he's ready to step into a game against a good defense who have game planned him. Malllet is still needed.

On the plus side, one play stands out. On his TD pass, the quality I thought was exposed was his vision/imagination. Because when he put the ball in the air, Dobson was not only covered well by the DB, the defender had a step on him. It was AFTER the ball was in the air, that Dobson blew by the defender and made that great catch. It takes both courage and vision to be able to see that result, because when he made the decision to put the ball up, Dobson would have looked completely covered.

8. Dobson's performance was also a highlight of the night. Very impressive given how long he's been out and how far he has to go. Very promising for the future.

9. Add me to those surprised to see Tim Wright on the field last night. I was very encouraged to see how quickly he fit in and still be productive he was. I'm beginning to think my original prediction of 30 catches, most of which would come after September, was too conservative.

Still I would pump the breaks on him being a key part of the offense. I see his main contribution being (at least this year) giving Josh more options formation wise, and as another big man threat on the GL. Remember in my receiver utopia, I want them all to be just effective JAG's with only Gronk being first among equals. ;)

11. Speaking about pumping the breaks. Just like I thought all the hype that came with the Browner signing was over done in the beginning, I think the recent backlash negativity on him is equally over done. He's NEVER been a shutdown CB. Christ, he's 6'4, 220 and 30 years old, why would anyone be surprised to see a 4.3 WR get behind him. :eek:

Browner has a SPECIFIC skill set that makes him invaluable IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. Almost every WR can beat him deep. Brawner's forte is to get hands on the receiver to delay that inevitability for as long as possible and play excellent trail technique with his size and arm length making it very difficult to loft it over his head. Also the loft needed to get it successfully over his head brings the S more into play.

Great passes are going to beat him, just like every other DB. But any mistakes, like slight underthrows, he's gong to eat up. I think I said in my first post about the Browner signing, that his contribution to this team is going to be as a plug and play match up player in the various weekly defenses. There will be some weeks where he'll be a key contributor. There will be other weeks where the match ups are less favorable and he'll play a lesser role.

12. Count me among the loyal minions who can't wait to see how the OL and safety carousel end up playing out. Its getting to the point where its almost like a kid who can't wait for christmas to see what's in those boxes under the tree. 10 days and counting until we get to see what's in those boxes. Buckle up boys (and girls) It's for real now.

Agree with your assessment of JAG's performance. My concern is that he may not have an NFL arm. Have yet to see him gun the ball cross field like Brady does so well. He reminds me a bit of the only recent Jets QB who could play the position but had a popgun arm even before his injuries.

Agree with your assessment of JAG's performance. My concern is that he may not have an NFL arm. Have yet to see him gun the ball cross field like Brady does so well. He reminds me a bit of the only recent Jets QB who could play the position but had a popgun arm even before his injuries.

What shocked me more than anything else was the revelation that his college team, the final two years he was playing QB, didn't even have an offensive playbook. He spent some 99% of his snaps from the shotgun, and the offense was basically playing streetball. And they won.

I think that that, more than anything else, is why he has such an instinctive read on things and maybe what attracted New England to him in the first place. He's a Belichick kind of guy, a football player first, and QB 2nd. I like that.

You think his arm is around Pennington's? I recall watching him play and on every pass wondering how the hell a defender couldn't knock it away. Constant floaters. With Garopollo, I haven't thought that at all. He doesn't seem to have a top-shelf arm but I don't think it's weak either. I'd say it's average so, of course, his accuracy will have to be elite if he's going to become a good NFL QB.

I don't agree about James White being a cut. He sticks for his receiving and pass-protection abilities alone, though I agree that he has not impressed as a runner. But the Pats' O suffered greatly when Shane Vereen was out last season, and they badly need another RB with receiving skills. White deserves some time to develop.

patfanken wrote:

9. Add me to those surprised to see Tim Wright on the field last night. I was very encouraged to see how quickly he fit in and still be productive he was. I'm beginning to think my original prediction of 30 catches, most of which would come after September, was too conservative.

I also was surprised, but pleasantly so. You don't come into a program as a rookie UDFA TE and catch 54 balls, even in an underwhelming team like Tampa Bay was last year, without having some good abilities to learn quickly and get open.

He was likely in on only 3-4 packages that he was prepped for the past couple days, basically just listening for his part of the play call. But still, I liked what I saw. He's not as big a frame as many tight ends, more of a hybrid WR/TE like the Prisoner was. It's gonna be right interesting to see how he is used here.

Multiples times, Reiss has called the RB corp a strength of the team and this makes no sense. Belichick traded for Blount last year and he became the teams go-to-back during the stretch run....but now all of a sudden, the RBs BB had no faith in a year ago have become a strength?? Yes....Vereen....he is a strength...but also prone to dings if not worse....the rest of this group....question mark after question mark. I have to believe the Pats RB solution is not yet on the roster

I agree with your thoughts on Bequette. To add to it, his game last night was encouraging, if you're seeing it in a preseason game in a kid's first camp. Waiting until the last game of your third camp to show real signs of life might just be too little too late.

Multiples times, Reiss has called the RB corp a strength of the team and this makes no sense. Belichick traded for Blount last year and he became the teams go-to-back during the stretch run....but now all of a sudden, the RBs BB had no faith in a year ago have become a strength?? Yes....Vereen....he is a strength...but also prone to dings if not worse....the rest of this group....question mark after question mark. I have to believe the Pats RB solution is not yet on the roster

To be fair, what did he give up for Blount? A track star who had questionable football interest and a 7th round pick? I think he had more faith in Ridley at the time of the trade, but over the season Ridley's ball security was disappointing and Blount was better than expected.

Its very hard to try and evaluate anything from a game were only back ups played and there was clearly no game planing. But I'll take a brief shot anyway:

1. In general, I think it bodes well for the defensive depth that the Pats played so well on that side of the ball, including 2 series against the Giants #1's. I especially liked the fact that in a half time interview BB stated the need to play better in the run game, and, voila, after the break the Pats DID play much better in the run game.

2. After 2 full years, we finally saw life from Jake Bequette. I thought he played very will this game, with several tackles including a sack and one tackle for a loss on a run. He set the edge well and it could be that he's a better fit as 3-4 OLB than he was as a 4-3 DE. But here's the problem for Bequette. Although he's playing much better this TC, I really like Zack Moore. For a kid who played at at a division 2 school. (think Bentley, and AIC), he has shown me more potential upside than Jake. If the choice winds up between the 2 of them, I think Moore needs to be a the guy who stays.
How do you show potential upside?
BTW, both Moore and Bequette could make the team, there is certainly room.

3. I'm very sad to say that there hasn't been a SINGLE run made by Robert White that would lead me to believe his an NFL quality RB. I doubt he has a single yd after contact this preseason. Yes he made a nice catch coming out of the backfield, but we have a bunch of other guys who can do that, and also add to more to ST's. I will be very disappointed in BB if White gets a roster spot. Why? Because it will mean that he got that spot only because he was a late 4th round pick. I'd like to think that one of BB's best qualities is that he's very comfortable admitting personnel mistakes and moving on. Personally I thought both Gray and Finch showed a LOT more than White. In a roster so tight and so many decent players fighting for a spot, giving one to Robert White just because he's a draft pick, would be a waste.
This makes me very happy that we drafted James White instead of his slow, weak brother Robert.

Sorry, just having fun

The other thing to consider is that the 53-man roster is actually a 55-man roster for the first 4 weeks of the season, since two players are suspended for the first four games.

With that in mind, besides the core players, Coach is probably also looking at those first 4 games and slightly tailoring the roster accordingly.

Add to that someone who just MIGHT be more helpful could be released/waived/traded, and the whole final 53-man roster projection is still a lot like herding cats. ;)

James White is simply not a runner that can do much between the tackles. That's a shame because I had high hopes for his versatility coming into the season but if he can't crack 3 YPC consistently against scrubs, I doubt he can do it against the real deal. The good news is that he looks effective out of the backfield in the passing game. No doubt the Patriots can find some use for him there.

How do you show potential upside?
BTW, both Moore and Bequette could make the team, there is certainly room.

This makes me very happy that we drafted James White instead of his slow, weak brother Robert.

Sorry, just having fun

I agree about both Moore and Bequette making the team. I think Moore makes it due to his position versatility. He played every spot on the DL last night except 3-4 NT and 4-3 1 tech. Bequette played well standing up. I hate to say it, but what if Michael Buchanan was somehow the odd man out? I feel crazy for saying that.

James White is simply not a runner that can do much between the tackles. That's a shame because I had high hopes for his versatility coming into the season but if he can't crack 3 YPC consistently against scrubs, I doubt he can do it against the real deal. The good news is that he looks effective out of the backfield in the passing game. No doubt the Patriots can find some use for him there.
I agree. I kept waiting and waiting to see something from White but that never came. I'm not there for practices but in games, White hasn't shown much at all.

And I see Reiss has gone back on his "hunch" that Ridley would be cut due to how little White did this preseason.

I agree. I kept waiting and waiting to see something from White but that never came. I'm not there for practices but in games, White hasn't shown much at all.

And I see Reiss has gone back on his "hunch" that Ridley would be cut due to how little White did this preseason.
A RB running against scrubs behind scrub blockers is hard to evaluate, and I would argue most likely is negatively affected by the scrub vs scrub issue.

While not yet up to speed in the running game White has obvious skill in the passing game which outta warrant keeping him around. Especially so considering Vereen is an UFA after the season.

Not sure about the viability of keeping Bequette around but I am positively stoked about Moore and can't wait to see him turn into this years version of Collins.

A RB running against scrubs behind scrub blockers is hard to evaluate, and I would argue most likely is negatively affected by the scrub vs scrub issue.
I agree but Gray looked good for a few games running behind scrubs. White didn't pop a single time. Not once.

Which is why White's abilities in the passing game, catching and blocking, are very important for him. They potentially buy him some time to show what he can do when all the chips are down, and he can still contribute in some packages and backup Vereen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots