PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post- Draft 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next court order is expected next week, perhaps even on Monday. Until then, no free agency, and no talking to players.

hey i got a lil lost during the draft...will there be free agency monday or is that not happening?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that once free agency starts, our roster will balloon to 80 for training camp. There are a lot of free agents and UDFAs and recently cut players picked up from other teams that are not even being factored in. Minicamps and TC will tell us a lot about who will stick. Even preseason will tell us even more. But just for the sake of the exercise here we go:

Offense (25)

QB 3 - Brady, Hoyer, Mallett
RB 4 - BJGE, Woodhead, Vereen, Ridley
WR 5 - Branch, Welker, Tate, Edelman, Price
TE 4 - Gronkowski, Crumpler, Hernandez, Smith
OT 4 - Solder, Vollmer, Kaczur, Levoir
OG 4 - Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, Orhnberger
C 1 - Koppen

Defense (25)

DL 7 - Wilfork, Warren, Stroud, Brace, Deaderick, Wright, Love
ILB 4 - Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher
OLB 4 - Cunningham, Ninkovich, TBC, Moore
S 4 - Chung, Meriweather, Sanders, Page
CB 6 - McCourty, Bodden, Dowling, Arrington, Butler, Wilhite

ST (3)

K - Gostkowski
P - Mesko
LS - Katula

Last edited:
Since when does he fool around when it comes to football?

Two words: Drop kick.

:eat3:

But seriously, your point makes sense even so. BB had just better pay Light a lot of guaranteed money if he wants to keep him, because otherwise it would make sense for Light to think his prospects for keeping his job over time might be better on a team that didn't just draft its LT of the future.

Belichick has said many times that Light is not a guard.

I don't recall that, although I could have missed it easily.

I do recall him saying Light is not a right tackle.

Offense (25)

WR 5 - Branch, Welker, Tate, Edelman, Price
TE 4 - Gronkowski, Crumpler, Hernandez, Smith
OT 4 - Solder, Vollmer, Kaczur, Levoir
OG 4 - Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, Orhnberger
C 1 - Koppen

Defense (25)

DL 7 - Wilfork, Warren, Stroud, Brace, Deaderick, Wright, Love
ILB 4 - Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher
OLB 4 - Cunningham, Ninkovich, TBC, Moore
S 4 - Chung, Meriweather, Sanders, Page
CB 6 - McCourty, Bodden, Dowling, Arrington, Butler, Wilhite

ST (3)

K - Gostkowski
P - Mesko
LS - Katula

Who is on the punting unit?

That's a serious question. If you can answer that, we can assume kickoffs are covered as well. But you'll have to scrape quite a bit to come up with an answer.

Last edited:
Who is on the punting unit?

That's a serious question. If you can answer that, we can assume kickoffs are covered as well. But you'll have to scrape quite a bit to come up with an answer.

I have S. Brown over G. Willhite. 5 backup db's will all be playing special teams; Darling, Sanders, Arrington, Page or Barrett and S. Brown. G. Guyton and D. Fletcher. There's 7. S. Ridley 8th and Ninko the 9th guy. Hoping Cunningham beats him out as starter.

If all healthy, your 8 inactives would be Mallett, Backup G, Backup T, Lee Smith, T. Price, 7th DL(M. Pryor), D. Butler, E. Moore.

Beat you to it mgteich! Now, I'll have to go mow the grass...LOL

TE 3 - Crumpler, Gronkoski, A. Hernandez
WR 5 - Branch, Welker, Edelman, Price, Tate, UFA
OL 9 - Solder, Mankins, Koppen, Connelly, Vollmer
Levoir, Wendell, Ohrnberger, Ojinnaka(I think we'll sign)
DL 7 - Wilfork, Warren, Stroud, Brace, Deaderick, Pryor, Love
LB 8 - Mayo, Spikes, TBC, Ninkovich, Cunningham
Guyton, Fletcher, Moore
DB 10 - McCourty, Bodden, Darling, Meriweather, Chung, Sanders
Arrington, Butler, S. Brown, J. Page
P - Mesko
K - Gostkowski
LS - Katula

I'm not mathematically challenged. I only put 52 on there. I expect to sign a free-agent wr. Other changes I could see are J. Barrett over J. Page. I think we cut Willhite. Cut Kaczur when we re-up Ojinnaka. I can see Lee Smith rookie TE pushing for a spot too.
M. Cannon will start the year on PUP I'm sure. I didn't put Mike Wright in there either. Want to see him pass the physical. Then, he's on and K. Love is out. The other area of opportunity to sign a free-agent who can help is OLB. Not sure what to expect out of Eric Moore. Obviously, an area we can upgrade. Let's get a free-agent wr and olb and kick it off. We're in great shape cap wise.

Why would we cut Wilhite when he was drastically better than Butler last year? Also, why are we cutting Kaczur when hes drastically better than Ojinnaka?

I don't think Cannon has a snowball's chance in hell of making the roster this year. He goes on the Non-Football injuy list, and when he finishes his chemo, he goes straight to the weight room and film room. THere's no way they're holding a roster spot for a guy with cancer.

If he doesn't fool around, explain the trade with Philly?

Thats easy to explain.

an additional 4 (or whatever ) minutes was worth more than the difference in the picks.

Beat you to it mgteich! Now, I'll have to go mow the grass...LOL

TE 3 - Crumpler, Gronkoski, A. Hernandez
WR 5 - Branch, Welker, Edelman, Price, Tate, UFA
OL 9 - Solder, Mankins, Koppen, Connelly, Vollmer
Levoir, Wendell, Ohrnberger, Ojinnaka(I think we'll sign)
DL 7 - Wilfork, Warren, Stroud, Brace, Deaderick, Pryor, Love
LB 8 - Mayo, Spikes, TBC, Ninkovich, Cunningham
Guyton, Fletcher, Moore
DB 10 - McCourty, Bodden, Darling, Meriweather, Chung, Sanders
Arrington, Butler, S. Brown, J. Page
P - Mesko
K - Gostkowski
LS - Katula

I'm not mathematically challenged. I only put 52 on there. I expect to sign a free-agent wr. Other changes I could see are J. Barrett over J. Page. I think we cut Willhite. Cut Kaczur when we re-up Ojinnaka. I can see Lee Smith rookie TE pushing for a spot too.
M. Cannon will start the year on PUP I'm sure. I didn't put Mike Wright in there either. Want to see him pass the physical. Then, he's on and K. Love is out. The other area of opportunity to sign a free-agent who can help is OLB. Not sure what to expect out of Eric Moore. Obviously, an area we can upgrade. Let's get a free-agent wr and olb and kick it off. We're in great shape cap wise.

Great job. I'll go with Lee Smith instead of your 6th receiver, based on the formations BB seemed to prefer in 2010. But nice job.

Coaches fool around with player's position all the time at the Pro Bowl.

Belichick has said many times that Light is not a guard. Besides, Light will get a 3-4 deal as a starting LT from someone. I don't think that can be the patriots now. If we were willing to pay LT money for a LG, we'd pay it to Mankins.

So, yes Solder should be expected to start "before the season is over" or even at the start. In either case, we need a backup who knows the system and who dante can count on. If Kaczur is too expensive, then what is Light?

I think your analysis of Light is spot on. Prior to the draft Light did an interview with the Herald where he said this would be his last contract and that essentially he would go to the highest bidder. Can't see that being the Pats at this point. I think Solder is the week one starter but if he's not ready, Volmer slides to LT and RT is take your pick for a few weeks till Solder is ready ( Kaczur, Levoir, F/A, etc. )

Eric Moore will not be cut.

I agree Moore showed some promise last year when given an opportunity. I wouldn't be shocked if he earned a starting spot opposite Cunningham.

My crack at the 53:

QB: Brady, Hoyer, Mallett

RB: BJGE, Woodhead, Vereen, Ridley

WR: Branch, Welker, Tate, Elelman, Price, Slater

TE: Gronk, Hernandez, Crumpler

OT: Vollmer, Solder, LeVoir, Kaczur

C/G Koppen, Mankins, Cannon, Connolly

DL: Wilfolk, T Warren, Stroud, Brace, Wright, Deaderick, Love

ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher, White

OLB: Cunningham, Moore, Ninkovich, TBC

CB: McCourty, Bodden, Dowling, Arrington, Butler

S: Chung, Meriweather, Sanders, Page, Brown

ST, Gostkowski, Mesko, L Smith

caveats: Health of Kaczur, Cannon (could be on PUP/IR for a year), Wright recovery from concussion. Smith was supposed to be LS previously if he can do it frees up a roster spot.

I don't see a big need for FA signings. i would be happy starting the season with this roster. If we could sign Light instead of keeping Kaczur that would be great don't think we can though.

Guys for PS: Carter, Williams, some UDFA

I agree Moore showed some promise last year when given an opportunity. I wouldn't be shocked if he earned a starting spot opposite Cunningham.

I'd be surprised if he didn't. He got basically 50% of the snaps his first game on the roster, and then played 90% of the snaps the remaining 3. BB clearly like him, enough that Ninkovich and TBC's playing time went down quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots