PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

post combine Jasper Brinkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
wondering what everones thoughts are on him after the combine. He seems to have showed up about 20 pounds lighter and performed very well in the drills. Where does this put him in the draft? I have seen mocks and rankings that have him as a later 2nd day pick. Does this move him to the third or higher and do you think the Pats will be interested?

wondering what everones thoughts are on him after the combine. He seems to have showed up about 20 pounds lighter and performed very well in the drills. Where does this put him in the draft? I have seen mocks and rankings that have him as a later 2nd day pick. Does this move him to the third or higher and do you think the Pats will be interested?

I'd take the scouting reports of folks on this board - like BOR - who are not high on Brinkley as a Patriots fit.

And even beyond that, what I had liked about him when I watched was that he was a 270 LB guy who could run, sounded like AD-esque measurables to me, and a good fit for SILB...Now that he's done to 250, that aspect is diminished.

Last edited:
I think he's the best Ted Johnson replacement that's been available in the draft in the last few years. Depending on his X-Rays, MRIs, and interviews, I could see him as a 3rd round pick.

I think Andre Waters was a third rounder for the Chargers a few years ago coming off a serious knee injury. I think Brinkley's a better player.

I think he's the best Ted Johnson replacement that's been available in the draft in the last few years. Depending on his X-Rays, MRIs, and interviews, I could see him as a 3rd round pick.

I think Andre Waters was a third rounder for the Chargers a few years ago coming off a serious knee injury. I think Brinkley's a better player.

The Chargers have done nicely for themselves with the strategy of nabbing players devalued by recent injuries (Cromartie is another). This year Brinkley, Casillas, Coffman and Ingram might fit the bill.

the pats addressed speed with mayo and guyton last year........they need some future size in the middle........but I only see him as a 2-down guy, and only if he gets some of his pre injury spark back......I'd take a flyer on him in the 3rd or 4th round

the pats addressed speed with mayo and guyton last year........they need some future size in the middle........but I only see him as a 2-down guy, and only if he gets some of his pre injury spark back......I'd take a flyer on him in the 3rd or 4th round

I don't think there are many run-stuffers who are a) 3-Down linebackers, and b) can play inside in the 3-4. If there were, and maybe Aaron Curry is, they go in the first 10 picks. I don't know if there's been a run-stuffing linebacker created yet whom you'd want to leave in the nickel packages at the expense of a DB anyway.

I don't think there are many run-stuffers who are a) 3-Down linebackers, and b) can play inside in the 3-4. If there were, and maybe Aaron Curry is, they go in the first 10 picks. I don't know if there's been a run-stuffing linebacker created yet whom you'd want to leave in the nickel packages at the expense of a DB anyway.

I understand that, but what is still bigger than anything was whether he can get back to the level of physical play before he got hurt.......the 2008 version of this guy does not bode well for him in the NFL

Football constantly changes. Belichick has mentioned that strong Safeties are changing as well. They are becoming faster, smaller, and better in coverage.

Similarly, I think he would also agree that the TJ run-stuffer is evolving too. I think the TJ LB is going the way of the Dodo. And for the same reason. The people that they play against are getting faster. They are forcing the LBs to get faster, quicker, and better in coverage. It is also making them play the run slightly differently.

Despite not having a TJ run-stuffer the Patriots Defense did not do badly against the run, even playing two rookies. It wasn't great yet, yielding 4.1 yards per rush. The ILBs were 242 and 247 and 240.

Look at the league leading Steelers. They yielded only 2.5 yards per rush. Their ILBs were 239 and 240. Where are the TJ run-stuffers? Maybe they are all ALREADY virtually extinct?

I agree. Before the injury he was a legitimate 3 down 3-4 ILB. He could stuff the run with authority, cover and occasionally blitz. A real playmaker on defense.

I do agree that medical is beyond huge with this kid. I also know from first hand experience with blowing out a knee that year 2 is a leap over year 1 in the recovery process.

If the doctors give him a green light (no loose bodies in the knee, no fraying where they repaired or reattached the ligament) then I would not be upset to see BB use a 3rd or 4th on this kid provided he interviews well, can play ST and pass the BB film test.

...and pass the BB film test.
I recall a couple years back he didn't pass your test, I know he hasn't passed mine from my first impression to more recent ones.

He is, at worst, a 3rd round pick.
He will be well-suited for SILB next to Mayo, if we decide to choose him.

I was a little bit surprised that he ran as well as he did, and I still have concerns about his stiffness in coverage, but he played some GREAT football as a youngster in the SEC.

If he passes a physical, and we don't add some of the available FA LBs, I would be thrilled with Brinkley.

We have 2 2nds, 3rds and 2 4ths (If I am correct), so we may have a good chance of picking him up. People need to start looking for overlooked names, because we often take underrated players here who possess both experience and measurables.

Kareem Brown, for example, had 10 sacks at Miami in his final collegiate season.
Wheatley was very productive for Colorado, and Crable led the Big Ten (and possibly country?) in TFL's.

Last edited:
Kareem Brown, for example, had 10 sacks at Miami in his final collegiate season.
Wheatley was very productive for Colorado, and Crable led the Big Ten (and possibly country?) in TFL's.

This here's a fantastic point.

He is, at worst, a 3rd round pick.
He will be well-suited for SILB next to Mayo, if we decide to choose him.

I was a little bit surprised that he ran as well as he did, and I still have concerns about his stiffness in coverage, but he played some GREAT football as a youngster in the SEC.

If he passes a physical, and we don't add some of the available FA LBs, I would be thrilled with Brinkley.

We have 2 2nds, 3rds and 2 4ths (If I am correct), so we may have a good chance of picking him up. People need to start looking for overlooked names, because we often take underrated players here who possess both experience and measurables.

Not to mention a possible third in compensation for Samuel and whatever we get for Cassel.

Sure, he's been a legitimate Pats prospect for a while now. Have to believe in the healing process for all post-surgery prospects. There's always an opportunity for them to prove themselves, be it Combine, Pro Day, or private workout. Anytime a prospect has at least one productive season, it's wise to keep an eye on their progress. He's a worthy day two pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing