PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Combine Forum Mock Draft

Minnesota is on the clock. I assume we're going to finish this exercise after that pick, as there has been some fall-off in interest. 3 rounds would be a solid effort.

Minnesota is on the clock. I assume we're going to finish this exercise after that pick, as there has been some fall-off in interest. 3 rounds would be a solid effort.

In that case, the Minnesota Vikings select Justin Ellis.........and we're done.

In that case, the Minnesota Vikings select Justin Ellis.........and we're done.

Fitting that you should end it. It's your call, but your comments earlier today suggested that you thought this exercise was winding up.

Fitting that you should end it. It's your call, but your comments earlier today suggested that you thought this exercise was winding up.

Three rounds is about right. It's a nice little exercise. We should do another in April sometime.

Just that we both still had Seattle with their 3rd rounder and not the Vikings as Mayo pointed out.

Oh OK. Actually I think someone else had written out the order of the lower half but it's an easy mistake, one I'm sure I'd have made too.

So if this were real and we ended up with Shazier, Bitonio and Moncrief how would people feel? For me it's not bad but with a trade down in round one I'd be much happier with ASJ, Christian Jones, Bitonio and Moncrief as one example. I just can't shake the feeling that if that was our draft we didn't do enough to upgrade the team.

Oh OK. Actually I think someone else had written out the order of the lower half but it's an easy mistake, one I'm sure I'd have made too.

Ya I was just goofing around since that was about my 5th mistake on this exercise so I was glad somebody else shared one.

So if this were real and we ended up with Shazier, Bitonio and Moncrief how would people feel? For me it's not bad but with a trade down in round one I'd be much happier with ASJ, Christian Jones, Bitonio and Moncrief as one example. I just can't shake the feeling that if that was our draft we didn't do enough to upgrade the team.

I think that for many people - based on comments in this thread - the inability to trade back was frustrating, and a lot of picks that we wanted came off in the middle of rounds. I'm ok with it, but it's not the draft I wanted by any means. But then, the real draft never is, either.

I agree that we probably haven't upgraded the team in the immediate time frame but we've given Brady more protection and another weapon on offense and we've added some serious speed on defense which I think is the biggest need on defense. Those are three prospects I really like so whilst it might not be ideal, I still think it's very good. B or a B- grade for me.

I agree that we probably haven't upgraded the team in the immediate time frame but we've given Brady more protection and another weapon on offense and we've added some serious speed on defense which I think is the biggest need on defense. Those are three prospects I really like so whilst it might not be ideal, I still think it's very good. B or a B- grade for me.

I guess that's more what I meant. I like all the prospects and yet I still have this feeling when I look at it that we should be able to do more. Unless somebody really unexpected like Ebron falls to 29 I think the Pats are 100% trading down.

I guess that's more what I meant. I like all the prospects and yet I still have this feeling when I look at it that we should be able to do more. Unless somebody really unexpected like Ebron falls to 29 I think the Pats are 100% trading down.

Hate to nitpick but it's impossible to be 100% trading down because there's no guarantee of a suitable trading partner. And when the draft is this deep, it's even more unlikely that there'll be as many potential trade partners this year.

I take your point though.

Hate to nitpick but it's impossible to be 100% trading down because there's no guarantee of a suitable trading partner. And when the draft is this deep, it's even more unlikely that there'll be as many potential trade partners this year.

I take your point though.

100% is probably not accurate but given the depth I think they'll take a less than the draft value chart deal to do so.

Anyone feel differently about Ryan Shazier at 29 now that he reportedly ran a 4.36 40 at Ohio State's Pro Day today? 4.36 40, 6.91 3-cone, 4.21 SS, 42" VJ, 10'8" broad jump. Jamie Collins'-like explosiveness + Aqib Talib-like movement skills at 6'3" 237#. Think BB could figure out how to use a guy with that athleticism and skill set?

He'll be long gone by 29.

Anyone feel differently about Ryan Shazier at 29 now that he reportedly ran a 4.36 40 at Ohio State's Pro Day today? 4.36 40, 6.91 3-cone, 4.21 SS, 42" VJ, 10'8" broad jump. Jamie Collins'-like explosiveness + Aqib Talib-like movement skills at 6'3" 237#. Think BB could figure out how to use a guy with that athleticism and skill set?

I think he's only 6'1". Probably long gone though.

Kyle Fuller maybe.

That's pretty impressive!!! I saw where he re-injured his hamstring during the workout though, wonder if that would slide him down a little.

2014 Pro Days: Ryan Shazier re-injures hamstring - CBSSports.com

He's a great prospect and I voted for him but I just can't see BB drafting him in the first round.

First off I don't believe he ran a true 4.37. However the fact he was unofficially clocked at that means he was probably in the very low 4.4s which is lightning for a 240 pound LB.

I would love to get a guy like him at 29 but I am not getting my hopes up. He is probably a tad bit too small for BBs taste.

I think him Collins & Mayo be a great 4-3 base for your pass happy teams and he can likely stick with any TE so you could leave him on the field in dime and use him as your slot CB for teams like that.

First off I don't believe he ran a true 4.37. However the fact he was unofficially clocked at that means he was probably in the very low 4.4s which is lightning for a 240 pound LB.

Exactly. I don't much care if it's a true 4.37 - he's very, very fast for a LB. Patrick Willis fast, if not faster and more explosive.

I would love to get a guy like him at 29 but I am not getting my hopes up. He is probably a tad bit too small for BBs taste.

Patrick Willis was only 5# heavier coming out in 2007, FWIW.

I think him Collins & Mayo be a great 4-3 base for your pass happy teams and he can likely stick with any TE so you could leave him on the field in dime and use him as your slot CB for teams like that.

You could play a base 4-3 and go into nickel seamlessly, just dropping Shazier back as an extra safety. Or you could go into dime keeping Mayo and Shazier as the LBs and moving Collins up on the line as a pass rusher. Lots of flexibility.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back