PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possibly a total of 12 picks for this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time there was a deep draft, BB kept all his picks and did not make any trades that year. I could easily see that happening again this year.

But, Bill doesn't like big holes in the draft.

He wont like the 70 pick gap from end of 2nd to end of 4th.

He'll find a way of getting a 3rd from somewhere.

Here's some triva I'll bet someone here can answer -

Who did the Pats lose in 1999 that allowed them to use the copensatory pick on Brady in the 6th Round?

Here were the FA losses from that year

Scott Zolak
Todd Collins
Mark Wheeler
Devin Wyman
Dave Wohlabaugh
Tom Tupa

Anyone have a guess who's responsible for the 6th round compensation?

Last edited:
Todd Collins

LOL.

Excellent point. At one time I think Kiper was a scout for the Baltimore Colt, but flamed out because he did not understand how players fit specific scheme.

But as for Vollmer,a lot of draft "experts" missed the boat on that one. But the NFL teams were on it and rumor was that the Pats overdrafted Vollmer because another team was set to take him.

I had the Patriots taking Vollmer in my mock draft, but only in the fifth as well. I knew he would be on their board because Houston's OLine plays almost the exact same zone blocking scheme as ours, but I had the Patriots taking him in the fifth round as well,in part because of the back surgery, which is always scary.

Interesting point on Kiper, I didn't know that.

I like the NFL network Mike Mayock the best. He's played in the NFL before.

Kiper FTW!: YouTube - JaMarcus Russell NFL Draft

But, Bill doesn't like big holes in the draft.

He wont like the 70 pick gap from end of 2nd to end of 4th.

He'll find a way of getting a 3rd from somewhere.

I think you are right. As the three 2nd rounders are bunched so closely together, I could see Bill thinking of trading one of these for a 3rd rounder this year plus 2nd rounder next year.

You would have to think that other teams knowing Pats have three 2nd rounders will be 'lighting up' Pats phone overnight (after first round) because a) Bill loves to wheel and deal & B) ususally teams more willing to deal a pick when they have multiple picks in the same round , C) very good quality of this years 2nd round will have teams very interested in one of our three picks

I would be very surprised if Pats make all three 2nd rounders. Just based on BB's past history - trading out and/or into following year. (Yes, I know NEP took four 2nd rounders last year). I don't see it this year - the 'bounty' Bill will fetch for a 2nd rounder will be skyhigh this year.

I wonder what the NFL's official line was for reducing the draft to seven rounds.
More teams. Roughly the same number of playes get drafted every year, but there are now 32 teams picking.

Everyone talks about Troy Brown being drafted in the 8th round, but he was the 199th or 200th player taken. He'd be drafted in round 6 today.

Excellent point. At one time I think Kiper was a scout for the Baltimore Colt, but flamed out because he did not understand how players fit specific scheme.

But as for Vollmer,a lot of draft "experts" missed the boat on that one. But the NFL teams were on it and rumor was that the Pats overdrafted Vollmer because another team was set to take him.

I had the Patriots taking Vollmer in my mock draft, but only in the fifth as well. I knew he would be on their board because Houston's OLine plays almost the exact same zone blocking scheme as ours, but I had the Patriots taking him in the fifth round as well,in part because of the back surgery, which is always scary.

Mel Kiper is a bit of a lunatic, but he makes way more money than any scouting director with his TV, newsletters and web site info. Nobody had Vollmer picked as high as BB drafted him - that was pure genius. Logan Mankins also came out of nowhere relatively. BB is really good at finding guys from non-power conferences who are just good football players - or in the case of Stephen Neal - good wrestlers. Fit is so important in the NFL, especially with the Pats who have very complex offensive and defensive schemes. A lot of talented guys washed out because they couldn't learn the playbook. That's hard to figure. The Redskins run a base everything and get great athletes and suck because they are easy to scheme against. This year will be different, of course.

Nobody had Vollmer picked as high as BB drafted him - that was pure genius.

Rick Gosselin had him at #76 on his top 100, but your larger point is still valid.

I think you are right. As the three 2nd rounders are bunched so closely together, I could see Bill thinking of trading one of these for a 3rd rounder this year plus 2nd rounder next year.

You would have to think that other teams knowing Pats have three 2nd rounders will be 'lighting up' Pats phone overnight (after first round) because a) Bill loves to wheel and deal & B) ususally teams more willing to deal a pick when they have multiple picks in the same round , C) very good quality of this years 2nd round will have teams very interested in one of our three picks

I would be very surprised if Pats make all three 2nd rounders. Just based on BB's past history - trading out and/or into following year. (Yes, I know NEP took four 2nd rounders last year). I don't see it this year - the 'bounty' Bill will fetch for a 2nd rounder will be skyhigh this year.

How about BB trading one of the 2's for a #1 next year, giving us 3 number 1's next year.

This is the year to use All of our picks This Year. Not next year.

If Bill does trade one of the 2nd-rounders, I hope it's for an early 3rd & a 5th...This Year.

If Bill does trade one of the 2nd-rounders, I hope it's for an early 3rd & a 5th...This Year.
I couldn't agree more. The apparent depth of this draft combined with the amount of holes we need to fill makes this an imperative.

Another thing to consider is the possibility (let's hope not) of a lockout/strike in 2011. If that worst scenario were to happen, then teams that load up with young players in 2010 will have an advantage once play resumes over those that instead replenished their roster with older veteran free agents this offseason.

I couldn't agree more. The apparent depth of this draft combined with the amount of holes we need to fill makes this an imperative.

2010-11 is the first year I can recall when being conservative makes sense for NE. They have a solid team that got younger for the most part in 2009. A couple of impact veterans could fill the most pressing needs.

I think that a younger (25-28 years-old) workhorse back like Corey Dillon is a necessity to pair with Maroney will keep defenses honest and the #2s are excellent trade material to do that. A Randy Moss-like deal for a top-flight affordable defensive lineman or LB is also a team-changer that could be done with either 2010 or 2011 draft picks before or after the draft.

The CBA is a real issue and Bob & Jonathan Kraft/BB are long-term guys. It may be that the Pats trade this year's #1 to fill a gap and avoid paying a 2010 rookie premium. From what I've seen, even late 1st rounders are too expensive for the crapshoot that teams take to see if elite college guys work out. The cap on rookie salaries like the NBA's will alter the game immensely and make drafting a long-term strategic activity rather than the cap-killer it is now.

Stockpiling for 2011 and letting the chips fall where they may with some solid trades and 2nd rounders may be the wise choice. The Pats are competitive with Miami and the Jets right now with more draft/trade flexibility than either one.

Last edited:
More teams. Roughly the same number of playes get drafted every year, but there are now 32 teams picking.

Everyone talks about Troy Brown being drafted in the 8th round, but he was the 199th or 200th player taken. He'd be drafted in round 6 today.

The draft still technically contains 8 full round of picks. The "extra" 32 are given as compensatory picks. If not enough teams qualify for comp. picks, then picks are awarded at the end of round 7 to the worst teams until the 256 number is reached (minus any forfeited picks for supplemental draft selections).

The CBA is a real issue and Bob & Jonathan Kraft/BB are long-term guys. It may be that the Pats trade this year's #1 to fill a gap and avoid paying a 2010 rookie premium. From what I've seen, even late 1st rounders are too expensive for the crapshoot that teams take to see if elite college guys work out. The cap on rookie salaries like the NBA's will alter the game immensely and make drafting a long-term strategic activity rather than the cap-killer it is now.

Stockpiling for 2011 and letting the chips fall where they may with some solid trades and 2nd rounders may be the wise choice. The Pats are competitive with Miami and the Jets right now with more draft/trade flexibility than either one.
To me the place for teams to avoid with first round draft picks based on the high cost of rookie salaries is only at the very top of the draft. After the first ten or so picks it drops quite a bit, to make the risk/reward factor worth it. The sweet spot is probably about in the area of pick #12 - #24.

If you take a look at last year's numbers for first round picks you can see what I am referring to. It would be more apparent if this was in a graph, but this list of rookie contracts shows there is big difference once you get outside the top ten. Where the Pats are drafting from will be in the vicinty of $3 million per year.

Signing status of 2009 NFL Draft first-round picks

I would also like to see Bill try to trade his 6th & one of his tradeable 7ths for a 5th-rounder this year. It would help fill the gaps in the middle (3-5) rounds, wherein all we have is one 4th-rounder.

Damn the Burgess & Alex Smith trades.

I think that a younger (25-28 years-old) workhorse back like Corey Dillon is a necessity

Anyone who thinks picking up a guy who can be compared to a future hall of famer is a necessity, is going to be sorely disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back