PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible Patriots, 2015 NFL Draft – Carl Davis, DT Iowa

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Possible Patriots, 2015 NFL Draft – Carl Davis, DT Iowa

Steve Balestrieri

Davis, like Wilfork is a guy that may not show up large in the stat sheet but eats up space and clogs things in the middle allowing other players to make the play.

Continue reading...

There seems to be conflicting reports out there about him. The common theme seems to be that if he can improve his conditioning and technique, he'll be a good player, but never a great pass rusher. Comparing a 6'5" guy with Wilfork seems a little odd.

Very strong, very quick off the snap. Don't believe the NFL Network channel hype, it was Carl Davis that dominated the Senior bowl, not Danny Shelton. Of the Brown, Goldman, Phillips, Davis group, I think Davis is the best DT.

I am definitely a Carl Davis advocate. Let's get him round one.

Very strong, very quick off the snap. Don't believe the NFL Network channel hype, it was Carl Davis that dominated the Senior bowl, not Danny Shelton. Of the Brown, Goldman, Phillips, Davis group, I think Davis is the best DT.
I have a couple questions because the reports I'm reading are conflicting.

How bad are his conditioning issues?

How agile is he? I've read everything from "very agile for his size" to agility being listed under his weaknesses.

Are his "leverage" issues caused by bad technique or by fatigue?

I am definitely a Carl Davis advocate. Let's get him round one.
Hmm. Tough call. Good player but if Collins drops to the Pats in Rd 1, not sure I still want Davis.

I have a couple questions because the reports I'm reading are conflicting.

How bad are his conditioning issues?

How agile is he? I've read everything from "very agile for his size" to agility being listed under his weaknesses.

Are his "leverage" issues caused by bad technique or by fatigue?

1. there is a clear dichotomy between what he showed on tape and what he showed at the Senior Bowl. He certainly shows flashes of what he can do on tape but is far from consistent. Whether thats scheme, a bad attitude or conditioning issues I don't know. My suspicion is that he was used to two gap a lot at Iowa whereas at the \senior bowl he was allowed to do what he does best which is to get off the ball quickly and use his speed and strength to overpower opposing linemen.

2. Agile for a 320lb guy is relative. He doesn't excite me in space in the backfield but he's certainly agile enough to get skinny through a hole or slip past a lineman.

3. Interesting question. Again it could merely be that he was expected to two-gap but i think there might be a level of fatigue/laziness to it. That's only something the team will be able to determine in interviewing him, his coaches and teammates.

If you get the good Carl Davis, you will have a better Alan Branch, one that can get into the backfield. If you get the Carl Davis that you see on tape too often, then you get Alan Branch.

As for Davis........something says.....something screams 'NO' .... maybe its this:
However, sources said that Davis was awful in team interviews at the Senior Bowl. He came across as lazy and arrogant. Davis said he should only play 20-30 snaps a game and was unabashed about regularly taking himself out of games as a senior. He also gave excuses for poor practice effort because he said he didn't want to risk injury while going against enthusiastic scout-team linemen.

I would definitely say CB and DT are high on our list. I do like the mention that we are looking at WR Western Oregon's Tyrell Williams. Looking at the tape...he is a man among boys and he excels at the magical "three-cone drill " (6.55). BB favorite...drill :)

I've read the daft profiles on the DTs and the guy who jumped out at me was Michael Bennett. Any chance he drops?

And if AJ Cann drops, can we pass him up? Plug and play left guard, right there.

I would definitely say CB and DT are high on our list. I do like the mention that we are looking at WR Western Oregon's Tyrell Williams. Looking at the tape...he is a man among boys and he excels at the magical "three-cone drill " (6.55). BB favorite...drill :)

Just to put that into context..Here are some notable 3-cone times.

Edelman: 6.62
Welker: 7.06
Amendola: 6.81
Odell Beckham: 6.69
Aaron Dobson: 7.19

6.55 is insane!

Don't know what kind of a route-runner he is but he clearly has the physical tools.

Alan Branch is pretty good.

This guy looked good at the senior bowl but mostly on tape he's just a heavy legged slow guy. Great at taking up space, doesn't do that much more, IMO.

As long as we go DT with our 1st pick I'm good.

As for Davis........something says.....something screams 'NO' .... maybe its this:
"Enthusiastic scout-team linemen" coached by former Pats TE coach Brian Ferentz. If there are problems there, then I can't see any team getting better info than the Patriots. I won't try to speculate if the concerns are legitimate or not, but I trust that Belichick and company will be able to make the right decision.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back