PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible movement in negotiations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get ready for an * season.

yup...already had THAT nightmare...the Rats win in a shortened bastardization of a regular season...go 9-2 overall and start the gum flapping for ANOTHER 40 + years until the league breaks down again...:scream:

I have not met a single Redskins fan that is happy with Snyder, nor have I met a single Redskins fan that is enamored with the shiney, big name players. Every one of them is sick of the dog and pony show. They keep buying tickets because they love their team. I realize that by doing that they don't prove anything to management. But I do know their ticket sales are down, their 100,000+ waiting list is a joke. I signed up for it just to ask a question, I was on the list for two seasons before I was offered regular seats.

In addition I was at FedEx Saturday night and they removed a huge (50% or better) section of seats in the upper deck of an End Zone.

Go on down to the Redskins forums. They all say they hate Snyder, yet at the beginning of the season, the fans are rabid after singings like likes Albert Haynesworth and Donovan McNabb. The fans can talk all they want, but they keep buying the tickets and merchandise.

I agree, so you should recognize the facts.
Its not a matter of acknowledging your opinion, its a matter that your impression does not apply here, the facts are that the Redskins have a much larger, and more loyal fan base. Perhaps the bandwagon in SF clouds your perspective, but to compare the staunch fan bases of the Redskins and 49ers and pretend they are even close to the same thing is foolish.

OK Andy, you're right. The five time superbowl winning 49ers didn't have a huge fanbase. :rolleyes:

OK Andy, you're right. The five time superbowl winning 49ers didn't have a huge fanbase. :rolleyes:
I am sorry that you do not understand the dynamics of NFL fan bases, but apparently there is nothing I can do about that because your mind is closed.:bricks:

I am sorry that you do not understand the dynamics of NFL fan bases, but apparently there is nothing I can do about that because your mind is closed.:bricks:

Yep, my mind is closed because I simply won't believe that the 49ers didn't have a huge fan base. :rolleyes:

I don't like what Snyder does either, but I'm not blinded by that dislike the way some are.

lol 8 game schedule, colts will probably go 8-1 :D .

I don't think I could get excited about an 8 game season. I think they would have to go atleast 14 games to make it feel worthwhile...not to mention anything less (if a perfect season were to happen) wouldn't shut up the Dolphins (though they might have a case even if it is 14 games if camps and pre-season are cut short)

Let's just hope they all come to their senses and make it happen by early July.

I'lll still watch (if the season is short), but it certainly won't have the same zest and it'd feel more like a pre-season season with the eyes on development for the next year.

Get ready for an * season.

Personally - if we won a Super Bowl in a shortened season, there would be no asterisk for me, I wouldn't even think twice. A ring is a ring.

Go on down to the Redskins forums. They all say they hate Snyder, yet at the beginning of the season, the fans are rabid after singings like likes Albert Haynesworth and Donovan McNabb. The fans can talk all they want, but they keep buying the tickets and merchandise.

First, you just made the argument that the swigning of big names is irrelevant to fan interest. Whether Snyder signs Haynesworth or trade for McNabb "they keep buying the tickets and merchandise".

Second, you do realize that NFL merchandise like players jerseys are revenue shared with all the 32 teams? He makes extra money from merchandise bought through the Redskins' Pro Shop (just like every store who sells NFL merchandise), but every Haynesworth or McNabb jersey sold through NFL.com or any other venue not owned by Snyder has the profits divided equally between the 32 teams. Yes, he can make extra money from merchandise he sell at his owned venues for selling merchandise for marquee free agents he signs, but it is an extremely small fraction of what it cost to pay the guy to come to the team.

Third, the Redskins have tens of thousand of season ticket holders. Since they have the largest stadium, far more than any other team. You can't pick and choose the years you want to purchase these season tickets. If you don't buy them one year, you lose the season tickets. That means guys like Haynesworth and McNabb have zero impact on those tickets getting sold.

Fourth, fans might get excited about a big name free agent getting signed, but it rarely changes their habits towards the team. The most it does in most cases is for them to buy that player's jersey which as I pointed out doesn't really affect the bottom line.

Fifth, Snyder makes most of his revenue from things that are not affected by big name signings. His biggest piece of the revenue is from the TV contract which is negotiated on long term basis and divided equally among the 32 teams. He also makes a significant portion of his revenue of individual marketing and sponsorship deals (naming rights, etc.). Most of these deals (and all of the major deals) are also long term contracts and not affected by individual signings.

The fact of the matter is that Snyder makes a miniscule amount of money based on individual signings unless these signings propel the team into a consistent contender for a number of years. If adding Haynesworth and McNabb won him a Super Bowl or at least made them a consistent division winner, their additions would mean something to his bottomline. But both look to be gone by next season after two unproductive years from Haynesworth and one from McNabb.

Personally - if we won a Super Bowl in a shortened season, there would be no asterisk for me, I wouldn't even think twice. A ring is a ring.

Yeah, most people can't even remember that the the Redskins won in a shoterned season. People don't remember that Tippett won his DPOY award in a shortened season. People remember the achievement, not the details of the achievement.

Yeah, most people can't even remember that the the Redskins won in a shoterned season. People don't remember that Tippett won his DPOY award in a shortened season. People remember the achievement, not the details of the achievement.

Agreed 100%.

Besides, we've won the regular season twice in four years, and that got us nothing. It's the 3 or 4 games in January and February that matter most, and that'll still be a full postseason.

The title of this thread sounds scatological to me....

I don't go on their forums. I was talking about all the Skin fans that I work with and live around. I live and work in Northern VA, and again I haven't met any that are fist pumping at the beginning of the year, most are cynical. The reaction I saw most in reference to the McNabb signing was so what, without a line to protect him what good will he be. One of my favorite quotes was "You could put the 1984 version of Joe Montana back there and we would still lose, because he can't complete passes from his back."

And I think the fact that waiting list is not as long as they say, compounded with the removal of seats and the fact that he is pushing for a new stadium back inside DC shows that the fanbase is not buying the tickets like they had in the past. He clearly can't sell out 90,000 seats now.

JETS fans agree!

If a shortened season does go ahead I want the Superbowl winner to go through undefeated just to hang **** on Mercury Morris.

Yep, my mind is closed because I simply won't believe that the 49ers didn't have a huge fan base. :rolleyes:

I don't like what Snyder does either, but I'm not blinded by that dislike the way some are.
I could care less about Snyder, I have no agenda at all in the discussion, where it seems you are very defensive about a point you are trying to make.
There is a large difference between the Redskins and 49ers fan bases.
You are isolating the 1980-1995 period, but the Redskins were extremely successful in that period as well. The difference is the Redskins started that period with a much larger fan base. Its easy to see why. Their original footprint is a much larger area than the 49ers. The East Coast is made up of much more argent fans than the West Coast. The 49ers share their metropolitan area with the Raiders.
If you look at the facts instead of trying to pick some to support what helps your argument, its pretty clear.

First, you just made the argument that the swigning of big names is irrelevant to fan interest. Whether Snyder signs Haynesworth or trade for McNabb "they keep buying the tickets and merchandise".

Second, you do realize that NFL merchandise like players jerseys are revenue shared with all the 32 teams? He makes extra money from merchandise bought through the Redskins' Pro Shop (just like every store who sells NFL merchandise), but every Haynesworth or McNabb jersey sold through NFL.com or any other venue not owned by Snyder has the profits divided equally between the 32 teams. Yes, he can make extra money from merchandise he sell at his owned venues for selling merchandise for marquee free agents he signs, but it is an extremely small fraction of what it cost to pay the guy to come to the team.

Third, the Redskins have tens of thousand of season ticket holders. Since they have the largest stadium, far more than any other team. You can't pick and choose the years you want to purchase these season tickets. If you don't buy them one year, you lose the season tickets. That means guys like Haynesworth and McNabb have zero impact on those tickets getting sold.

Fourth, fans might get excited about a big name free agent getting signed, but it rarely changes their habits towards the team. The most it does in most cases is for them to buy that player's jersey which as I pointed out doesn't really affect the bottom line.

Fifth, Snyder makes most of his revenue from things that are not affected by big name signings. His biggest piece of the revenue is from the TV contract which is negotiated on long term basis and divided equally among the 32 teams. He also makes a significant portion of his revenue of individual marketing and sponsorship deals (naming rights, etc.). Most of these deals (and all of the major deals) are also long term contracts and not affected by individual signings.

The fact of the matter is that Snyder makes a miniscule amount of money based on individual signings unless these signings propel the team into a consistent contender for a number of years. If adding Haynesworth and McNabb won him a Super Bowl or at least made them a consistent division winner, their additions would mean something to his bottomline. But both look to be gone by next season after two unproductive years from Haynesworth and one from McNabb.
Ultimately the difference in revenues between teams come from the non shared revenues which mostly are made up of PSLs, luxury boxes, and corporate sponsorships, such as stadium naming rights.
How the fans feel about your team isn't a controlling factor in the ability to generate revenue, although the loyalty of your fan base certainly would contribute to the ablity to attract those dollars.
The most profitable franchises are the ones with the best stadium dynamics.

It's just the opposite for me, i wouldn't consider a SB win in an 8 game season meaningful in any way. They would have to play at least 14 for me to consider it a real season.

Does the scheduling of the Super Bowl determine the end of the season?

Most likely but I would rather see them do what they need to and reschedule it so they can play a full season than lose the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots