PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible motive behind the aggressive FA grabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's true that some of the Patriots' high draft picks haven't panned out as they hoped, what follows is that the Patriots should be less confident in their ability to predict what draft prospects will do, up or down. You assume that the inference is that they should be (negatively) confident and start to write off the draft. I'm happy to think that Belichick and Pioli are too smart to make the same mistake. (Nor do I think that they have been overconfident in their ability to predict players' future success from scouting. They do their best, but they make mistakes like everybody else -- and they know it!)

The answer to why the Patriots are making a splash in free agency is perfectly simple, I think -- because they can!

BB/SP do not make mistakes! Take it back!

:cool3:

BB/SP do not make mistakes! Take it back!

:cool3:

I feel a Chad Jackson thread coming on. Time to go and have a little lie down. ;)

Last edited:
We're doomed, Bill Belichick is adapting to the situation again. Just once he should do something the fans don't want. **grumble**

Let's not overrated the splashiness either.

The main changes to date are Thomas, Morris, and Brady in; TBC, Dillon, Graham, and JAGs out.

That's a non-trivial talent upgrade at this point in their careers, I THINK. But it's not overwhelming.

Welker and the hypothetical next LB(s) will tip the scales more.

What sets the Pats apart from other teams, and the Pats in other years, is that they are upgrading through FA at all. Most elite teams, Pats included, seem to be net FA losers most years.

Let's not overrated the splashiness either.

The main changes to date are Thomas, Morris, and Brady in; TBC, Dillon, Graham, and JAGs out.

That's a non-trivial talent upgrade at this point in their careers, I THINK. But it's not overwhelming.

Welker and the hypothetical next LB(s) will tip the scales more.

What sets the Pats apart from other teams, and the Pats in other years, is that they are upgrading through FA at all. Most elite teams, Pats included, seem to be net FA losers most years.

I feel like the offseason is ++ so far, not just "non-trivial" or even. Thomas is heads and shoulders ahead of Banta-Cain, Dillon's replacements are going to come from a little bit of Evans, a little bit of Morris, and a lot of Maroney. Brady is comparable to Graham as a blocker and won't need to replace the 21 catches and two TDs that Graham had (which could easily be done) because Dave Thomas is going to step it up. JAGs can be had later in free agency when they are relatively cheap. This offseason is shaping up really well.

Its hard to say but maybe some failures (so far guys like Chad Jackson and Marquise Hill) in the draft in the past several years made them think twice about hoping rookies can come in and instantly improve the team,Possibly not taking any chances of failing to stock the team with talented players,Although guys like CJ need another chance to redeem themselves within another year or two....

(as an explanation of all the fuss over Welker)

"I will never draft a WR in Day One again. I will never draft a WR in Day One again. I will never draft a WR in Day One again. I will never draft a WR in Day One again...."

----Bill Belichick, January 2007

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back