PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible Draft Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meghay

Rookie
Reaction score
Just sitting around bored because there is no football today. Assuming the following happens after we win next weekend.

Randy Moss resigns
Dante Stallworth leaves to free agency
Asante Samuel leaves to free agency
Junior Seau retires
Troy Brown retires

I am not going to try and predict who we may go after in free agency because I don't know enough about who is available. These picks do not include any trades. I used a couple of different websites to track the possible availability of the the players at the spots the Patriots draft.

First Round --- Vernon Gholston LB/DE Ohio State. I am not in love with this pick, but I don't believe there are any corners or other players worth the 7th pick in the draft. Gholston is insurance if Colvin does not comeback and also gives them youth on the outside.

Second Round --- Justin King CB Penn State. An excellent athlete. He has been a very productive player at Penn State for a number of years. He is also very good against the run.

Third Round --- Xavier Adibi LB Virginia Tech. The youth movement continues at linebacker. Worst case scenario, you have another outstanding special teams player.

Third Round --- DJ Hall WR Alabama. Very productive in the SEC. He can also return punts. Don't underestimate the Saban connection.

Fourth Round --- Craig Steltz S LSU. Another excellent player from the SEC. He was recruited by Saban and was the most consistent defensive player on LSUs defense this year.

Fifth Round --- Erik Ainge QB Tennessee. I like Matt Cassell, but I don't think he is the answer if something happened.

Sixth Round --- John Sullivan OL Notre Dame. Practice squad player.

Seventh Round --- Jonathan Zenon CB LSU. Practice squad player.

Dude did you see the sb today(1/26/08)....Sedric Ellis looks like a beast....I know Dorsey is up there also.....Saying that one one these player is going to fall to us....If not I like Trevor Law....All DT I know,but its the safest pick....What the hell do I know?????:D BB&SP has never pick LBer early....Is Cassel a FA?????

Just sitting around bored because there is no football today. Assuming the following happens after we win next weekend.

Randy Moss resigns
Dante Stallworth leaves to free agency
Asante Samuel leaves to free agency
Junior Seau retires
Troy Brown retires

I am not going to try and predict who we may go after in free agency because I don't know enough about who is available. These picks do not include any trades. I used a couple of different websites to track the possible availability of the the players at the spots the Patriots draft.

First Round --- Vernon Gholston LB/DE Ohio State. I am not in love with this pick, but I don't believe there are any corners or other players worth the 7th pick in the draft. Gholston is insurance if Colvin does not comeback and also gives them youth on the outside.

Second Round --- Justin King CB Penn State. An excellent athlete. He has been a very productive player at Penn State for a number of years. He is also very good against the run.

Third Round --- Xavier Adibi LB Virginia Tech. The youth movement continues at linebacker. Worst case scenario, you have another outstanding special teams player.

Third Round --- DJ Hall WR Alabama. Very productive in the SEC. He can also return punts. Don't underestimate the Saban connection.

Fourth Round --- Craig Steltz S LSU. Another excellent player from the SEC. He was recruited by Saban and was the most consistent defensive player on LSUs defense this year.

Fifth Round --- Erik Ainge QB Tennessee. I like Matt Cassell, but I don't think he is the answer if something happened.

What website has Zenon listed as a seventh rounder?

1st—Keith Rivers—LB—USC or Dan Connor—LB—PSU (add versatility and depth to LB core that could lose 2 starters)

2nd—Chris Johnson—RB—ECU or Steve Slatton—RB—WVU (Faulk’s career will be done soon, will push Maroney)

3rd—Justin King—CB—PSU or Charles Godfrey—CB—IOWA (need a CB, although I think one of Samuel/Gay will stay)

3rd—Red Bryant—DT—TEXASAM or Ahtyba Rubin—DT—IOWA ST(could use some more depth behind Wilfork)

4th— Owen Schmitt—FB--WVU or Craig Stevens—TE—CAL (we could use a blocker at FB or TE if Brady leaves)

5th— Jordy Nelson—WR--KST or Paul Hubbard—WR—WIS (could lose Gaffney, Washington, Stallworth and Chad Jackson hasn’t shown much)

6th—Brian Witherspoon—CB—STIL or Jonathan Zenon—CB—LSU (special teams, depth, Witherspoon is the fastest guy in the draft possibly)

7th—Ricky Santos—QB--UNH or Matt Flynn—QB--LSU (guys to give Cassel and Guitz a run at a roster spot)

None of this really matters though cause of there will certainly be some trades made

1st—Keith Rivers—LB—USC or Dan Connor—LB—PSU (add versatility and depth to LB core that could lose 2 starters)

I don't think Rivers is a great fit for us. The pats LBs are all 260+ which you need bigger guys if you're running a 3-4. Rivers at 220 reminds me of Cato June type player who is built for the Cover-2. Connor seems like a D-bag to me :D

I don't think Rivers is a great fit for us. The pats LBs are all 260+ which you need bigger guys if you're running a 3-4. Rivers at 220 reminds me of Cato June type player who is built for the Cover-2. Connor seems like a D-bag to me :D

Try this: Rivers 237 @ SB weigh in and considering hes only going to be a rookie, he'll only get bigger

Bruschi is only around 240-245
Seau: 250
Vrabel: 261
Colvin: 250
Thomas 270: but hes a freak..4.5 speed @ 270 :\

consider all these guys have been in league a long time..did the NFL nutrition and workouts. I can see Rivers being 245 easily

Try this: Rivers 237 @ SB weigh in and considering hes only going to be a rookie, he'll only get bigger

Bruschi is only around 240-245
Seau: 250
Vrabel: 261
Colvin: 250
Thomas 270: but hes a freak..4.5 speed @ 270 :\

consider all these guys have been in league a long time..did the NFL nutrition and workouts. I can see Rivers being 245 easily

Give or take 10 lbs :) Yea, if he could get to 245 he would remind me a lot of Willis last year.

I am not sure if BB and Saban have renewed or even tightened up their friendship any since Saban departed the Dolphins, but I do know that DJ Hall spent his entire season trying to get out of Saban's doghouse. If he had a hard time with Saban, I can not imagine him lasting more than 30 seconds with BB.

GREAT JOB!! What impressed me about your draft is that the picks were realistic. No big reaches, not being greedy and 2nd rd guy in 5th,lol. The 2 things that stick out to me is that there is a VIRGINIA TECH guy(Mike Vick is teaching a hoodlum class to every VT recruit)and I agree with Hall not being a good fit with BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down