PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible Consequence for Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This topic was being discussed on the ESPN Pats fans board and felt that it would be a good topic here since there are several people with much greater knowledge of the CBA.

There is a reserve list called : Reserve/Did Not Report

What is the consequence if they were to put Branch onto this list?
I know that, previously, the Pats used it on Wilbert Brown and he was ruled ineligible for the year and the Pats didn't have to pay him.

Does anyone know if Brown accrued a year? If not, then could the Patriots do this to Deion, thereby preventing him from being eligible for the year, preventing him from accruing a year and then still owing the Patriots a year on his current contract?

Wilbert Brown did spend the entire 2004 season on that list before being released after the Super Bowl. I'm not sure if he got an accrued season for that.

Here are a few important dates regarding the Branch situation:

http://atlantafalcons.com/team/impDates.jsp

AUGUST

8: Deadline for players under contract to report to earn a season of free agency credit.

12-16: Clubs have until five days prior to their game on the second preseason weekend to provide written notice to certain unsigned players and the NFLPA of their intent to place them on the Exempt List if they fail to report no later than one day prior to that weekends game. Any player who fails to report prior to the deadline will be ineligible to play or receive compensation for at least three games (preseason or regular season) from the time that he reports.

SEPTEMBER

3: Claims on players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12 noon, New York time.

7: After 4 p.m., New York time, any new or altered incentives renegotiated in a pre-existing contract for the 2006 season automatically will be deemed "Likely to be Earned" for 2006.

26: Priority on multiple waiver claims is now based on the current season's standing.

OCTOBER

17: All trading ends at 4 p.m., New York time.

18: Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons are subject to the waiver system for the remainder of the regular season and postseason.

NOVEMBER

6: Deadline at 4 p.m., New York time, for an increase in a player's 2006 Salary to be counted as Salary for the current year. Any notice of an increase in a player's 2006 Salary received by the NFLMC after this deadline will be treated as a Signing Bonus.

DECEMBER

1: Deadline for reinstatement by 4 p.m., New York time, of players in Reserve List categories of Retired, Did Not Report, and Exclusive Rights, and of players who were placed on Reserve/Left Squad in a previous season.

29: Deadline for waiver requests in 2006, except for "special waiver requests" which have a 10-day claiming period, with termination or assignment delayed until after the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, Pats1.

So, Branch has to file for re-instatement.

What I also find interesting is the August 8th date, though I am not sure what it means. Do you have any idea?

What is the difference between an accrued season and a season of Free Agency credit?

DaBruinz said:
Thanks for the information, Pats1.

So, Branch has to file for re-instatement.

What I also find interesting is the August 8th date, though I am not sure what it means. Do you have any idea?

What is the difference between an accrued season and a season of Free Agency credit?

Not sure, really. I don't see anything about week 10 on that list, so I'm really unsure about all this.

Someone will have to explain the last six games thing about Branch getting credit for the season because their is nothing listed on that NFLPA link about that date. Instead you find this tidbit-

August 8, Tuesday

If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he may not be traded to any other club in 2006.
Also, deadline for players under contract to report in order to earn a season of free agency credit.

So what does that say about Branch's status?

From what Kraft clearly implied Branch has to report Friday, or there will be severe repercussions. Kraft was very gracious in his comments toward Branch, saying he was very hopeful that Branch would return. However when Kraft says that he is implying Branch, and perhaps his agent, are going to face severe repercussions if he doesn't report.

Mike Reiss mentioned recovering part of Branch's signing bonus, and also the fines they might try to recover before he was allowed to play. Also Branch would be on a Reserve status for the Bills game and thus his salary would not be guaranteed.

As Branch say it's a business and the Pat's would be glad to explain how that business works if he doesn't report.

http://atlantafalcons.com/team/impDates.jsp

AUGUST

8: Deadline for players under contract to report to earn a season of free agency credit.
I believe this is for players with less than 3 years accrued credit toward free agency. This would not apply to Branch.

[CBA on NFLPA.com site]
ARTICLE XVIII Top
VETERANS WITH LESS THAN THREE
ACCRUED SEASONS
Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation:
(a) ......
(b) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, for any League Year during the term of this Agreement beginning with the 1993 League Year, a player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty days prior to the first regular season game of that season,

Last edited:
HI i am new here, not as an observer but as a poster.

My question as references Branch and the reserve/left off list.....is this not what BB did with Terry Glenn?

If this in fact is what we did with Glenn then some one may remember the the exact ramifications of that move for him.

Also if i remember correctly putting Terry Glenn on that list did not at all hurt our ability to trade him after the season.

RAWKY said:
HI i am new here, not as an observer but as a poster.

My question as references Branch and the reserve/left off list.....is this not what BB did with Terry Glenn?

If this in fact is what we did with Glenn then some one may remember the the exact ramifications of that move for him.

Also if i remember correctly putting Terry Glenn on that list did not at all hurt our ability to trade him after the season.

No, this isn't what happened to Glenn because he did play for the Pats that season.

What about the letter that was sent to Glenn about reporting?? I know that Glenn I guess won his case because the team did not send it right away...and I hoped BS like this was gone with him....NOT good footsteps DB...

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
No, this isn't what happened to Glenn because he did play for the Pats that season.

He barely played in '01. Out the 1st 4 games with league suspension. Played week 5 and played well with 100+ yards and a TD. Did not play the next 7 weeks. Played week 13 and 14, with less than 100 yards total. Did not play the rest of the year, including post season. I thought he was injured and Bill PUPed him after week 14. I can not remember why he did not play in the middle of the year, whether injury or Bill's dog house.

Pat the Pats Fan said:
I can not remember why he did not play in the middle of the year, whether injury or Bill's dog house.

Glenn was out with an "injury" (hammy if I recall). In the middle of that was his infamous TV interview. He was asked if his hammy would feel better with a contract extension to which he replied, "you do the math".

Shortly thereafter, Belichick reamed him out for talking on the cellphone during practice (he was relegated to the stationary bikes). He did it again and Belichick suspended him for the remainder of the season.

hwc said:
Glenn was out with an "injury" (hammy if I recall). In the middle of that was his infamous TV interview. He was asked if his hammy would feel better with a contract extension to which he replied, "you do the math".

Shortly thereafter, Belichick reamed him out for talking on the cellphone during practice (he was relegated to the stationary bikes). He did it again and Belichick suspended him for the remainder of the season.

Thanks for the history refresher....Sounds like the hammy was one of Bill's making...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes