Possible BIG change to IR rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to PFT, they're considering:

Adding an injured reserve exemption so that if a player was on the roster through the first regular season weekend, that player can be placed on injured reserve and designated for return, and then can return to practice six weeks later and play in a game eight weeks later, rather than having all players on injured reserve out for the season.

I wholeheartedly approve.

NFL weighs changes on overtime, defenseless players, trade deadline | ProFootballTalk

I love it, they should have done this years ago.

Love it. Still a stiff enough length of time that teams won't abuse it for roster shuffling purposes, but prevents players from losing an entire season if they get hurt early on.

I like the trade deadline move back by two weeks.

I have been arguing for this for a long time. The 8 week requirement and first game requirement fullly covers the "Stacking problem" for good teams, trying to hide players rather than expose them to other teams and aiding them in their careers.

There should be another proviso too. If an IRed player is healthy, and able to return, but has not completed the 8 weeks term, he can return but only for the "Second Season", the Playoffs.

Last edited:
I like the concussion exemption and changing the OT (more football is always better).

The too many men on the field is a good start i still think they need to make it a time revert in the last 2 minutes of the half and game

I have to wonder if some of these rule changes (i.e. pushing back the trade deadline) are paving the way for an 18 game season...

-Jamman

Apparently there's someone with a brain lurking around the NFL offices.

Goodell was distracted by the Saints punishment.

Very sensible. This is how baseball does it. Taking effective practices from other major leagues means getting beyond Not Invented Here. Good for them.

Very sensible. This is how baseball does it.

One of the few good things that that insipid sport has had to offer.

-Jamman

I love it, they should have done this years ago.

I have never understood why they don't have a system like baseball, where you can go on a disabled list for a while. I know baseball is played every day so it couldn't be the exact same, but why not have a one month and two month DL, plus an IR for season-ending injuries? Use your practice squad as your "minor league" system...maybe allow them to expand their practice squad by a couple of players (that would make the NFLPA happy). It would allow teams more flexibility in dealing with injuries, etc. Maybe have a limit to the number of guys you could have on the one-month DL so that once you reach it, you are forced to make some choices...move a guy from the one-month to the two-month DL, or whatever. It would make for interesting strategy, and it would mean that a guy that gets seriously hurt in week 2 could be allowed to play again that season if he's able.

Seems like a no-brainer type system and I don't know why it's never been implemented before.

I have to wonder if some of these rule changes (i.e. pushing back the trade deadline) are paving the way for an 18 game season...

-Jamman

maybe but last season there was a lot of talk after a few teams lost their QBs for the season. The Texans were a really good example. They had no options and teams that had QBs to trade were unable to because the deadline passed. One team cut a QB instead of being able to trade him for draft picks because of their QB log jam.

Out of all the recent rule changes, this would be one of the best ones. But as someone said before, all these rule changes looks like something to ease the change to the 18 game season, and I'm not too convinced about that.

Anyway, I hope this IR modification finally passes.

all for this stuff, unless it means an 18 game season

I presume all of this will be voted on this weekend.

Last edited:
I presume all of this will be voted on this weekend.

And hopefully they all get voted yay. I'm quite pleased by the proposals.

-Jamman

I will admit that for some time now I was hesitant for the NFL to adopt a baseball-type injured reserve rule. To me the NFL already had a de facto in-season IR: the seven (formerly eight) player difference between the number of players on the game day roster and the full roster; teams simply worked that as they deemed best throughout the season without the formality of placing a player on in-season IR.

I am perfectly fine with this proposal, because it is for a long enough period of time (six weeks to return to practice, eight weeks to return to play) that for the most part it will prevent teams from stashing players on their roster that they wouldn't be able to do with the old rules.

The one proposal I am kind of questioning is the one-game roster exemption for players inactive with a concussion. I'm totally onboard with the player safety issue, but since there is that seven-player cushion between the 53-man roster and the game-day roster, why is this necessary?

As mentioned earlier, I like moving the trade deadline further back as well; week six was way too early, though they could still stand to move it further up than week eight.

The first proposal listed about giving replay reviews to the official in the booth rather than the referee on the field is a good one too; why waste time waiting for the ref to first explain things to the coaches, then jog over to the replay machine?

The one proposal I am kind of questioning is the one-game roster exemption for players inactive with a concussion. I'm totally onboard with the player safety issue, but since there is that seven-player cushion between the 53-man roster and the game-day roster, why is this necessary?

I think they want to highlight concussions are a serious affair and deserve an exemption. In addition, I guess it might help to make sure teams don't bring back players with concussions too quickly.

-Jamman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back