PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible 3 first rounders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot Missile

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
If we are to franchise Samuel, does this mean we will get someone's first or 2nd round draft pick this coming draft? Or are they allowed to give up their next years? Does a franchise tag mean you get their teams first rounder?Or does the NFL decide your players worth?

If we are to franchise Samuel, does this mean we will get someone's first or 2nd round draft pick this coming draft? Or are they allowed to give up their next years? Does a franchise tag mean you get their teams first rounder?Or does the NFL decide your players worth?

The franchise tag has nothing to do with draft picks.

A team can place the franchise tag on one player starting February 8 and ending February 22. The franchise tag is just a one-year contract, without any bonus, at the average of the top 5 players' current year contract value, or 120% of the player's previous year's contract value, whichever is higher.

Last edited:
Not even if another team came into the scene and signed him even though he was franchised by us?

You're thinking of restricted free agency.

The franchise tag is a one-year contract, so no other team can sign the player.

Last edited:
Thanks. Wasn't sure on the rule.

Here's a quick overview of restricted free agency, from Miguel's page:

http://patscap.com/patsfreeagency.html

A Restricted Free Agent (RFA) is any player that has completed three accrued seasons and their contract has expired. A RFA must be tendered with an offer on or before the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period begins. The RFA can be tendered one of four offers. They are:

(1) Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at player's Original Draft Round but a second-round pick if the player was a first-round pick: This is a one year player contract at a salary of $850,000 (for 2007) or 110% of the players prior year's salary (whichever is greater). If another club signs said RFA, the team tendering the offer receives one draft pick equal to the round the RFA was selected in during the draft but in the case the player was a first round pick the pick will be a second round pick.

(2) Right of First Refusal and a second-round pick: This is a one year player contract at a salary of $1,300,000 (for 2007) or 110% of the players prior year's salary (whichever is greater). If another club signs said RFA, the team tendering the offer receives one second round draft pick.

(3) Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection: This is a one year player contract at a salary of $1,850,000 (for 2007) or 110% of the players prior year's salary (whichever is greater). If another club signs said RFA, the team tendering the offer receives one first round draft pick.

(4) Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection: This is a one year player contract at a salary of $2,350,000 (for 2007) or 110% of the players prior year's salary (whichever is greater). If another club signs said RFA, the team tendering the offer receives one first round draft pick and one third round draft selection. If no tender offer is made by the start of the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period, then the player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent.

However, the tender levels have changed this offseason:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

January 26, 2007
Restricted FAs

One new twist to free agency this year is with restricted free agents.

In past years, there have been three options for teams with their restricted free agents.

Teams could place a low tender on a RFA, which meant that if another team signed the player to an offer sheet, the original team could match it or receive a draft pick matching the round in which the player entered the league.

Teams could place a first-round tender on a RFA, which meant that if another team signed the player to an offer sheet, the original team could match it or receive a first-round draft pick.

Teams could place a high tender on a RFA, which meant that if another team signed the player to an offer sheet, the original team could match it or receive a first-round pick and a third-round pick. This year, as part of the new collective bargaining agreement, a second-round tender has been added. If a team places that tender on a RFA, the original team could match any offer or would receive a second-round pick in return.

The tender amounts are as follows:

Low tender -- $850,000
Second-round tender -- $1.3 million
First-round tender -- $1.85 million
First- and third-round tender -- $2.35 million

ANALYSIS: The Patriots have just a few restricted free agents, and the most notable is defensive back Randall Gay. Because Gay entered the league as an undrafted free agent, the Patriots would be rolling the dice by placing the low tender on him. That would mean that if another team signed Gay to an offer sheet -- and the Patriots didn't match -- the Patriots would not receive any draft-pick compensation. That is why it is likely Gay will receive the new second-round tender.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 08:40:57 AM

Last edited:
Actually I believe there are two versions of the tranchise tag, one is an exclusive franchise while the other allows other teams to sign him but at the cost of two #1 picks. I'm sure others here know this better than I do and can correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually I believe there are two versions of the tranchise tag, one is an exclusive franchise while the other allows other teams to sign him but at the cost of two #1 picks. I'm sure others here know this better than I do and can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, that does exist, but I can't remember any teams using it.

I thought you could franchise a player as many times as you want. I want to say Walter Jones had this happen to him and Charles Woodson. And even AV? Or is this a enw change to the CBA?

Please elaborate. Are you saying a franchise tag that guarantees a player to your team with no possibility of the player leaving?

please clarify.

I thought you could franchise a player as many times as you want. I want to say Walter Jones had this happen to him and Charles Woodson. And even AV? Or is this a enw change to the CBA?

You're correct. The fact that Clements couldn't be franchised again was part of their deal with him.

from Wikipedia for what it's worth:

The franchise tag is a National Football League designation that is used in order to retain an unrestricted free agent. There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the "current" year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
Usually designated for players of great skill or of high importance to the team, a franchise tag allows a team's managers the privilege of strategically retaining valuable free-agent players while seeking talent through the NFL draft or other acquisitions without exceeding the League's salary cap.

A team may only give one player a franchise tag each year. It is the team's choice whether it is exclusive or non-exclusive. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for two first-round draft picks.

You're correct. The fact that Clements couldn't be franchised again was part of their deal with him.

I thought the Bills stupid to do it. so the guy sits out. but now he's gonna walk for no compensation.

plus it sets a bad precedent

I need to go brush up on all the free agency stuff. It's been awhile.

You can trade a Franchised player for less than the price of two #1s.

Buffalo got a #1 for Peerless Price.
NE got a #3 and #4 for Tebucky Jones.
The Jest got a #1 for John Abraham last year.

They were all Franchised UFAs.

You bet your ass we could end up with three #1s if we choose this route. Or a different package - a #1 in 2008 would appeal to me a lot. Or a #3 this year and #2 next year. Pick your trade.

Don't get bogged down in the technicalities. Trading a Franchised UFA can be done and has been done.

perhaps we sign Graham and trade Watson for another late first rounder....well it's a long shot, but imagine four first rounders? that'd be nuts.

You can trade a Franchised player for less than the price of two #1s.

Buffalo got a #1 for Peerless Price.
NE got a #3 and #4 for Tebucky Jones.
The Jest got a #1 for John Abraham last year.

They were all Franchised UFAs.

You bet your ass we could end up with three #1s if we choose this route. Or a different package - a #1 in 2008 would appeal to me a lot. Or a #3 this year and #2 next year. Pick your trade.

Don't get bogged down in the technicalities. Trading a Franchised UFA can be done and has been done.

I guess at this point with extra salary cap room it would be shocking that the Pats let him walk for nothing. If anything drive up the price if the Jets make a run at him.

I think that's where the confusion comes in. People are using the exclusive tag, but then "trading" the negotiating rights. It's just like trading a player under contract -- they don't have the right to talk to that player, but you can sign that right over to them in exchange for a consideration.

You use the exclusive tag, and then say to the other team (doing my best Geico Lizard impression,)

"Listen luv, we've got him tagged, but why shouldn't we let him talk to you, you're like a brother to us. So what about a third and a fourth, and you have a nice little sit-down? Of course we'll sit with the kids."

I think that's how most of these deals get done, not the non-exclusive franchise tag option. Of course I'd love to hear from someone who really knows the history of these deals as corroboration.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey