PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possibilities in the second round

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Having three selections in the second round, I feel that it's this round that's more imperative for New England to have success (potential starters) than the first round. Because Belichick could trade out of the first round again unless someone unexpectedly falls who was rated high on their draft board. Some of these players could improve their stock where they could be selected in the first round. For now, I'll view them as second round options.

Offense

Jermaine Gresham TE (assuming he slides)
Demaryius Thomas WR
Eric Decker WR
Jordan Shipley WR
Ben Tate RB
Maurkice Pouncey C
Vladimir Ducasse OT
Mike Johnson OG

Defense

Sean Weatherspoon OLB
Eric Norwood OLB
Roddrick Muckelroy OLB
Daryl Washington ILB
D'Anthony Smith DT
Lamarr Houston DT/DE
Javier Arenas CB
Kyle Wilson CB
Trevard Lindley CB
Myron Rolle SS

Having three selections in the second round, I feel that it's this round that's more imperative for New England to have success (potential starters) than the first round. Because Belichick could trade out of the first round again unless someone unexpectedly falls who was rated high on their draft board. Some of these players could improve their stock where they could be selected in the first round. For now, I'll view them as second round options.

Offense

Demaryius Thomas WR
Eric Decker WR
Jordan Shipley WR
Ben Tate RB
Maurkice Pouncey C
Vladimir Ducasse OT
Mike Johnson OG

Defense

Sean Weatherspoon OLB
Eric Norwood OLB
Roddrick Muckelroy OLB
Daryl Washington ILB
D'Anthony Smith DT
Lamarr Houston DT/DE
Javier Arenas CB
Kyle Wilson CB
Trevard Lindley CB
Myron Rolle SS

I would add Golden Tate and Jahvid Best on offense, if they last long enough.

On defense I don't consider most of the guys you have listed 2nd round picks or options for the Pats. Except for possibly Eric Norwood, I would scrap your entire list. I would include:

Greg Hardy, DE/OLB
Austen Lane, DE/OLB
Jason Pierre-Paul, DE/OLB (if he slips)
Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB
Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB
Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB (if he slips)
Everson Griffen, DE/OLB (if he slips)
Brandon Spikes, ILB
Eric Norwood, LB
Corey Wootten, DE
Jared Odrick, DE
Arthur Jones, DE
Terrance Cody, DT (if he slips)
Kareem Jackson, CB
Brandon Ghee, CB

the most likely possibility is he trades 2 of the 3 :(
nice list though i find myself liking the Alabama players, i would love to draft guys like mike johnson and javier arenas on the team

gresham is all dependent on what we do before the draft i can easily see watson being resigned or filling the TE spot in FA

the most likely possibility is he trades 2 of the 3 :(
nice list though i find myself liking the Alabama players, i would love to draft guys like mike johnson and javier arenas on the team

gresham is all dependent on what we do before the draft i can easily see watson being resigned or filling the TE spot in FA

Thanks.

I think you can't assume who and who won't be there in the second round because some players rise and fall a number of times up to draft day. I believe Mayo was a player who'd improved his stock leading up to the draft.

Yeah, Alabama and Texas have some intriguing players coming out in the draft.

I believe that if Gresham is there for the Patriots in the first round, you've to select him. Because you do have Baker signed through next season and can afford to wait on Gresham. I don't think that Gresham will be like Buffalo selecting Willis McGahee in the twenties of the 2003 draft. Because Gresham will probably be healthy to play in 2010. Conversely, McGahee didn't play at all in 2003.

I'm beginning to think New England might want to consider selecting Johnson in the first round.

Mike Johnson/G/Alabama: Johnson was an imposing-looking figure Monday morning, measuring 6-feet, 5½-inches and 306 pounds during weigh-ins. The former Alabama starter played to his size during practice, dominating opponents. Johnson did not give up an inch against anyone he faced and was solid as both a run blocker and in pass protection.

Tim Tebow, LaGarrette Blount at Senior Bowl practice - NFL - SI.com

There is lot to be said for the drafting the BAG (best available guard) at 22 or even with a bit of a trade down.

As of now, Johnson is considered a serious reach in the 20's.

I strongly disagree that there is a lot to be said for drafting the best available guard at 22. The last time a guard went at 22 or earlier was 2001 when Steve Hutchinson went 17th to the Seahawks. In 2006, Davin Joseph went 23rd to the Buccaneers. In a draft that seems to be considered strong by most experts, taking a guard in the first round seems like quite a reach. Guard is not a high priority position in the NFL and most scouts/gm's believe you can find a guard in the later rounds. If you're convinced Iupati is the next Hutchinson, then you can take him at 22-27, but that's quite a high standard to live up to.

I strongly disagree that there is a lot to be said for drafting the best available guard at 22. The last time a guard went at 22 or earlier was 2001 when Steve Hutchinson went 17th to the Seahawks. In 2006, Davin Joseph went 23rd to the Buccaneers. In a draft that seems to be considered strong by most experts, taking a guard in the first round seems like quite a reach. Guard is not a high priority position in the NFL and most scouts/gm's believe you can find a guard in the later rounds. If you're convinced Iupati is the next Hutchinson, then you can take him at 22-27, but that's quite a high standard to live up to.

I tend to agree with this. Iupati might be worth taking at 22, but I suspect there would be better values available.

Offense

Demaryius Thomas WR
Eric Decker WR
Jordan Shipley WR
Ben Tate RB
Maurkice Pouncey C
Vladimir Ducasse OT
Mike Johnson OG

Defense

Sean Weatherspoon OLB
Eric Norwood OLB
Roddrick Muckelroy OLB
Daryl Washington ILB
D'Anthony Smith DT
Lamarr Houston DT/DE
Javier Arenas CB
Kyle Wilson CB
Trevard Lindley CB
Myron Rolle SS

YES (guys who can probably start very soon)

Decker
Shipley
Norwood
Kyle Wilson
Hughes - probably won't slip
Golden Tate (I may be upgrading him)
Spikes - won't slip
Graham - if he slips (or we don't take him at #22 anyway)
Iupati
Patrick Robinson
Mike Johnson
Matt Tennant

MAYBE

Ducasse - based on Senior Bowl reports, this guy's a project, not an instant starter
Pouncey - I need a closer look
Arenas - but we can probably do better
Lane - currently a 3rd rounder, but may move up
Pierre-Paul - need a closer look
Best - very concerned about his injury history
Sapp - not all that confident, personally
Kindle - probably won't slip
Griffen - probably won't slip
Wooten - not confident
Odrick - not confident in this one, either
Arthur Jones - need a closer look
Rolle - we'll see how he does with the Senior Bowl

There will probably be another dozen guys who jump up into the second round by draft day, maybe half of whom would be useful on our roster.

I think New England's first round pick should be reserved for tight end, outside linebacker and defensive end. Maybe, an offensive lineman if you're that bold or not confident that "your guy" will be there to select in the second round. Conversely, from what I'm reading, I'm not really salivating over who could be available at inside linebacker and running back. So you could hold off on those two positions in the second round. Perhaps, be patient and wait until the fourth round. Man, Patriots need a third round pick.

Other than an offensive lineman, on offense, I target a wide receiver.

The most intriguing thing about Javier Arenas is his big play potential on special teams. New England sure would welcome that with Welker out indefinitely and the uncertainty with Tate. Kyle Wilson is likely another one who can offer you versatility playing on special teams too. Because Belichick seems to like defensive backs who offer versatility, selecting Butler and Chung last year. Both were known to play some to a lot on special teams in school.

Saban says Arenas, a lightly recruited player signed by Alabama largely because of his return skills, could even hold down another NFL role: Part-time offensive player.

"You've got a guy who can play corner. He'll be a great nickel guy for you, which is where he was fantastic for us and be the kind of return player he is; and probably be a guy that you could use on offense a little bit, which is something we should have entertained more," Saban said. "He's got a lot of ability and can contribute to the team in a lot of ways."

Tide's Cody, Arenas looking to size up in the NFL - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back