PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positives today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I've been fairly critical of the coaching staff this year.

What ?

Rey Maualuga had yet another great game today, adding a sack today to his 12 tackles in his first 2 NFL games and to what is going to be a HOF career and you are one of the ones who try to defend BB passing on this guy not once, but twice. How does BB miss the boat on a guy like this ?

What are your thoughts on the Galloway signing ? The Deltha O'Neal signing ? The Tank Williams signing ? The Detriot CB cut during camp last season (the big FA CB signing)..........

Trading a 3rd and 4th round pick for Burgess ?

Trading a 5th for a cut Alex Smith ?

All good BB moves Jack right ? KoolAid for all....................

Last edited:
I like both Bodden and Wilhite. You have no basis for your criticism of Bodden; please cite two plays where he was beaten/torched this season. Be specific; these nebulous criticisms mean nothing.

You seem to be great at pointing out the lack of "basis" in people's arguments. Ok though here it goes.

3rd quarter 3rd and 13 sanchez to keller, 1st down. couldve been prevented, had bodden not MISSED the tackle.

fast forward to the 4th: 2nd and long. screen play to stuckey - bodden over pursuits and stuckeys gets the first down.

while he hasn't been "torched" yet, stay tuned...this guy is not good.

What ?

Rey Maualuga had yet another great game today, adding a sack today to his 12 tackles in his first 2 NFL games and to what is going to be a HOF career and you are one of the ones who try to defend BB passing on this guy not once, but twice. How does BB miss the boat on a guy like this ?

Apparently you think football players are fungible commodities. They're not. Once you realize this fact, I'm sure you'll understand why the Patriots passed on Maualuga.

HOF career? After two games? Let me ask you a question: Did you watch the games, or are you just looking at the stat lines?

Nobody died.

Maroney and Taylor can run if the line opens holes for them

Maroney can return kicks

There are 14 games left to fix the problems

That's pretty much it.

What are your thoughts on the Galloway signing ? The Deltha O'Neal signing ? The Tank Williams signing ?

Apparently you expect BB and the FO to be infallible. Reasonable people think differently.

Jury is still out on Galloway.

Deltha O'Neal was a terrible signing.

Tank is what it is. He didn't pan out; no harm done.

WHAT???????????????? These two are my bads from the game. Wilhite made one play, the one you alluded to - but that's expected from a corner. Staying "stride for stride" on one play does not make a good day im afraid.

as for bodden - the undoubtedly worst tackler on this team - Whenever a player doesn't last in detroit his career is over. I know players have come to NE to revive their careers before, but Bodden is NOT good

Bodden is a very good tackler and the best cb on the team,so far.You're deluded by those slip screens the jets* ran against bodden.Because he's not in press coverage,that screen puts a blocker right on bodden,ten yards deep.The jets* timing on this play was excellent and because of the defense called,we were unable to get a man on the receiver.

Good call and execution by the Jets*...........vanilla D,by the pats.

Nobody died.

Maroney and Taylor can run if the line opens holes for them

Maroney can return kicks

There are 14 games left to fix the problems

That's pretty much it.

Oh you're so pessimistic these days, Deus.

Apparently you think football players are fungible commodities. They're not. Once you realize this fact, I'm sure you'll understand why the Patriots passed on Maualuga.

HOF career? After two games? Let me ask you a question: Did you watch the games, or are you just looking at the stat lines?

Rey Maualuga (right now) is twice the LB that Gary Guyton is and his upside is off the charts............Admit it, BB MISSED THE DAMN BOAT ON MAUALUGA, UNACCEPTABLE !!!!!!

Oh you're so pessimistic these days, Deus.

Not at all. Pessimism and optimism are about looking forward. I expect this team to make the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl.

There's a difference between being pessimistic about the future and trying to be objective when analyzing the past.

But since Nunn is not better and Edelman was drafted, that's not how it is. What is your point?

If Nunn was better he'd be on the team? I agree with the statement, but he's not better. Ask Belichick

Heck, not only was Nunn not drafted—and, remember, he entered the 2008 draft—nobody wanted him as an UDFA last year.

No, no, no. I've watched Bodden for years now. He had one decent year in clev. that's all he has to show with his 8-or so year career. and by decent i mean he had a team leading 6 int's...something along those lines. He underperformed in clev for years and failed out of detroit of all places last year.

No, sir, he has been bad for more than 2 games.

And you're certainly not the only Wilhite admirer- i seem to be in the minority here. It'll be something to watch for in the future so we can settle. I know he's capable, just don't think he's performed up to standards today

I really don't know how much football you watch and how closely, but the fact of the matter is corners miss tackles quite often. Even the great Champ Bailey, if you really watch him closely, misses them a bit. This is because they are often making up a lot of ground to get to the line of scrimmage to make stops or having to make open-field tackles on running backs that escape the first and second levels of a defense. The guys in the trenches are supposed to make those kinds of plays, not your CB. Bodden has excelled in this area by CB standards.

Also, I never said that the Jets were afraid of Bodden. They simply didn't attack him much because the coverage was there. Name more than one play of more than 10 or 15 yards that happened with the receiver he covered. Also, if you can, tell me what he's done in a Patriot uniform that's been so abysmal. Better yet, tell me what he's done so far that's worse than we saw out of O'Neal and Hobbs.

I'm certainly not calling the man a "shut-down" corner. I'm simply saying that I think his play has been more than just adequate and believe that he's one of the bright spots on defense thus far. I'm entitled to that opinion, as you are entitled to yours, my good sir.

Watching the Steelers & Mangina lose made me feel a little better.

I really don't know how much football you watch and how closely, but the fact of the matter is corners miss tackles quite often. Even the great Champ Bailey, if you really watch him closely, misses them a bit. This is because they are often making up a lot of ground to get to the line of scrimmage to make stops or having to make open-field tackles on running backs that escape the first and second levels of a defense. The guys in the trenches are supposed to make those kinds of plays, not your CB. Bodden has excelled in this area by CB standards.

Also, I never said that the Jets were afraid of Bodden. They simply didn't attack him much because the coverage was there. Name more than one play of more than 10 or 15 yards that happened with the receiver he covered. Also, if you can, tell me what he's done in a Patriot uniform that's been so abysmal. Better yet, tell me what he's done so far that's worse than we saw out of O'Neal and Hobbs.

I'm certainly not calling the man a "shut-down" corner. I'm simply saying that I think his play has been more than just adequate and believe that he's one of the bright spots on defense thus far. I'm entitled to that opinion, as you are entitled to yours, my good sir.

Good post indeed. And I completely understand your opinion. Really, we aren't that far apart on the spectrum here. I understand the notion that your corners aren't supposed to be the best tacklers. But in terms of the Jets not throwing to Bodden - it may not have been because they are "afraid". But there were few times when Sanchez had to check down because Bodden's side of the field was covered. It seemed the NYJ got their first option each time in the passing game, and Sanchez had plenty of time. That first option was just not against Bodden.

As for the slip screens, I get that Bodden is 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. But not being a good open-field tackler is something that has defined bodden IMO. Champ Bailey is a good open field tackler. And a great shut-down corner. Not sure the two should even be compared.

Believe me, anything is better than the ONeal/Hobbs combo. I'm just not satisfied yet with the Bodden/Wilhite combo. Upgrade, maybe - but the answer? absolutely not. I'm not ready to praise them yet.

Watching the Steelers & Mangina lose made me feel a little better.

Also, I never had the hatred for Mangini. Just sympathy now.

Always kinda partial to the guy

Edelman was a huge positive.
Taylor again ran well when given the chance.
Defense made 2 stops in the last 10 minutes when we needed the ball back and for a completely rebuilt defense looked good overall.

no i like edelman, dont get me wrong, and he actually didnt play badly. i think he will be a very good player for our team (hes not welker though and people expecting him to be because hes white are ridiculous)

but when it came down to it he was off on route timing in this game and he could have been better use in the red zone (though this was a function of **** play calling too).

i also think nunn is better than edelman but edelman made the team because he was a draft pick and nunn was a free agent

It's not because he's white and you'd have to be beyond dense to think that... It's because he's a virtual clone of Welker and Welker got cut as a rookie so obviously Welker wasn't Welker either as a rookie...

Last edited:
Positives:

1. The Jets will believe their self-hype. They have a fine defense and some terrific players, but a lot of room to develop before they are legitimate SB contenders.

2. Everyone will write off the Pats and we can quietly go back and work on addressing the problems. This team does nicely in the underdog role. Even in 2003-2004 we managed to fly under the radar a bit behind Indy's hyped offense and Pittsburgh's 15-1 team.

3. Lots of humble pie for everyone.

The weather was great here in New England today.
Other than the Patriots game my yard is looking much better.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back