PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positive spin on Rodney's situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
After digesting the news for some time, it seems to me that there are several advantages to what happened. I know I haven't been the first to mention some of these, but let's begin:

1. There's the argument that Rodney couldn't hold up to a full season of banging heads and shoulders anyway. We need this warrior for the later stretch of the season. He'll be back highly motivated and healthy. He laid down some big hits in the preseason, and it doesn't hurt that he gets some extra time to heal from his past injuries. In a way, he gets to work his way back in a more measured way. This has to prove a physical benefit to him.

2. Extra Roster spot. It seems that we're facing some unpleasant decisions today (as are other teams.) It never hurts to get the chance to carry an extra guy for a few games.

3. Extra playing time for others down the depth chart. Meriweather will get more playing time. Sanders certainly will. And we should be able to get good looks at Mel Mitchell and Willie Andrews (assuming they both make the squad.) We need to prepare our depth for a long season where we will hopefully be going deeeeep into the playoffs. :D

4. The early games are hard to guage anyway. I'm not sure that the "strong" teams will be as strong early in the season. Every team has to work their way into season rhythms. View these four games as a chance to hold out a valuable player to protect him from injury, just as coaches do during the preseason.

5. We've been without Rodney for much of the last couple years. Where's the change? How will this team skip a beat? We've got the horses back their folks; I think we can play some of our depth for the first few games.

edited for spelling.

Last edited:
hope you're right.

One more positive spin.

When Rodney comes back week 5, he'll have even more to prove. Never mind the quuestions about his health and age, the haters will be calling him a cheater and claiming that his dirty image has been justified.

If the team is willing to forgive Rodney, and my gut says they will, he could motivated than ever to prove himeself.

It's not positive that we'll be missing the leader of our secondary against the Chargers and Bengals. Those two games could end up being very important in the race for HFA.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Meriweather does playing in Harrison's stead.

It's not positive that we'll be missing the leader of our secondary against the Chargers and Bengals. Those two games could end up being very important in the race for HFA.

QFT. the team has learned to play without rodney as needed the past two seasons, sometimes good sometimes bad...BUT it can't be argued that the Pats stand a better chance in two big games without rodney than with him :(. I do agree that this may help him last longer into the post season, unless of course he comes in immediately trying to "prove" too much and injures himself :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back