PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positions that are high priorities for high picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was refering to your 2nd point that I said OL was more important. ;) I haven't seen many fan mocks that address OL prior to day 3 and I think that's a big mistake. Matt Light is pretty much toast IMO. I would love to see Vollmer moved to LT and have a top prospect take over at either RG or RT. This would solidify the pass protection which has been average at best and should greatly improve the run game everyone seems to be so worried about.

:confused:

Matt Light was the team's best offensive tackle last season, just as he's been the team's best tackle from just about his first season as a Patriot.

This team drafting a running back in the first two rounds would be a sign that the stupid decisions of last year might not be over. There is almost no need at all for a running back and, if the need is there next year, there will be two first round picks which can be looked at to fill the position. This team desperately needs help at DE and OLB, and ILB, OG, TE and CB are also much bigger concerns than the running back position.
Yeah I totally agree, PATRIOTSFANINPA I want what your on :)

TE. Because you Bill wants to draft one in the 1st. Really, really bad. :D

RB is not a need this year like many people seem to think. They have 5 decent-good backs signed for this season already. It isnt even necessary for all of them to contribute, you really only need 3 of the 5 to be true impact guys, and all of them IMO have the skills to do that. Next off season would be the time to think about a RB, all of their contracts will be up so it is a good time to reevaluate the position and see what kind of direction the team wants to go.

Going to have to disagree with you and Deus.

BJGE is a JAG. Barely serviceable.

Morris and Taylor can't stay healthy.

That leaves Maroney and Faulk. Prudent course of action is to draft a RB and cut either Morris, Taylor, or BJGE.

I see RB as a greater need than either CB or OG. And I know I see ILB as less of a need than Deus does.

Last edited:

That leaves Maroney and Faulk. Prudent course of action is to draft a RB and cut either Morris, Taylor, or BJGE.

I see RB as a greater need than either CB or OG. And I know I see ILB as less of a need than Deus does.

I would rank the needs as:

OLB
TE
DE
RB
CB
OG/C
WR
P
QB

We got McKenzie and Tate we need to give them a chance. Although because you need more WR than ILB, I would say it wouldn't hurt to take a developmental prospect in the 6th/7th.

Last edited:
I was refering to your 2nd point that I said OL was more important. ;) I haven't seen many fan mocks that address OL prior to day 3 and I think that's a big mistake. Matt Light is pretty much toast IMO. I would love to see Vollmer moved to LT and have a top prospect take over at either RG or RT. This would solidify the pass protection which has been average at best and should greatly improve the run game everyone seems to be so worried about.

Yeah I dont know what you're talking about. Light isnt done, he played well last year. I do believe that Vollmer might be a little better than Light, but why not have Light stay at LT (where hes played his whole career) and have Vollmer play RT. The OL was not that bad at all last season considering all the injuries they went through. I am not worried about the running game, it isnt the main focus of our offense and we have 5 guys that can contribute to it.

I agree BJGE is a JAG. I see his role just as it was last year, which wasnt much at all. Morris and Taylor I think you can count on them to give you what they gave the team last year, which I think was pretty positive. Maybe they are injury prone, but you would think at least one of them would be healthy every week. Maroney I think will have his biggest season as a pro, hes playing in his contract year and I think he has something to prove to not only the Patriots but the league as well. Faulk will continue to do his thing, I think this is his last year but you can definitely count on him to do what hes always done.

How is RB a greater need than a CB or OG? You have 5 guys signed and capable of playing the position. You cannot say that about those other positions.

How is RB a greater need than a CB or OG? You have 5 guys signed and capable of playing the position. You cannot say that about those other positions.

You're right. Perhaps I should amend my original position. I think it all depends on how they feel about the younger, unproven guys they have the positions. Basically if they feel Wheatley, Ohrnberger, and Connolly can play their spots at an adequate level, then my original ranking stands.

If not, then I could see some shuffling. I can also see these positions addressed via FA (moreso than I see RB being addressed via FA).

Wow, I'm surprised that people aren't putting 3-4 DE/DT as the foremost position in this draft. Perhaps we've all forgotten, but the Patriots clearly consider their defensive line to the most important part of the team (outside of QB), as evidenced by the following:

Drafting Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork in the first round.

Making both Seymour and Wilfork the highest paid players in the NFL at their position.

Let's remember, Seymour was traded last year well after the draft, and it was too late to find a replacement. That doesn't mean the Patriots don't think that position isn't absolutely vital and probably the major reason for disappointment last year. Last year was the first time they've played a season without a stellar front three in how long?

I expect the Patriots to be very aggressive if there's anyone out there they really like at that position. I think they could even trade up into the top 15 if they have their eye on someone.

List of positional priorities, based on the team's weaknesses and Belichick's habits:

3-4 DT- #1 priority is replacing Seymour

OG- It is not a sure thing that Mankins will be re-signed, and Neal almost retired.

TE- Belichick's favorite position is currently thin and uninspiring.

RB- Getting a solid running game would improve the offense much more than another good receiver; it would also give us the balance we haven't had since 2004

Positions that we are unlikely to draft in the early rounds, but would draft in later rounds:

OLB/DE- Expect this to happen only in the mid to late rounds. For whatever reason, Belichick does not like to use high picks here. I think he wants players with experience, ala Willie McGinest, Roosevelt Colvin, and Mike Vrabel, but he is willing to gamble with a later pick.

OT- Let's remember that our right tackle position needs upgrading, unless Light wants to rotate over. I wouldn't be shocked to see us use a pick here.

CB- It took the Patriots a first round tradeback, and then first picking a safety, before drafting Butler last year- and Butler was someone who Belichick really liked. Again, this is more likely to be a later round pick.

S- I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats add depth with a late round pick or two; they clearly value this position very highly

LB- Both ILB and OLB (not necessarily a rushbacker at OLB) can always use depth; Mayo's injury last year reminded us that we are vulnerable without him

Positions I expect the Patriots to ignore, unless there is a great undervalued player:

WR- Now, before you throw your hands up in protest, let's remember the Patriots usually do the opposite of the obvious solution. I think Belichick wants guys like Edelman and Tate to develop, and sees more need for experienced veterans. I think the Holt signing answered the question of drafting a WR. The only way I see WR getting drafted is if also returns kickoffs and punts. If Dez Bryant ends up on the Patriots, I'll be 100% shocked. No interest in Boldin or Marshall, definitely no interest in Bryant.

QB- Only way the Pats draft a QB is if they envision Tim Tebow playing fullback, or it's past the fifth round and they are just bored and want people to start panicking

K/P- Too many concerns right now to worry about a punter; there are always some on the FA market

CB is a top need IMO.

Hoping Wheatley, Butler and Wilhite suddenly get it, is a recipe for disaster.

And hoping a rookie who has never played in the NFL gets it isn't?

Yeah, actually you can say exactly that about both those positions.

Yeah, actually you can say exactly that about both those positions.

Actually no. For corners we have Wilhite, Bodden, Butler, Wheatley and Arrington. Only Bodden you can really count on to contribute and maybe Butler. Not really comparable to the RBs.For OGs we have Mankins, Neal, Connolly and Wendell. Neal and Mankins are the only guys you can count on. Definitely not comparable to the RBs.

And hoping a rookie who has never played in the NFL gets it isn't?

In one of the best drafts in years? Yes.

Besides, isnt that what NE was hoping for when they drafted Wheatley to challenge Hobbs and Butler to challenge Wilhite?

The best teams in the league pass the ball well: Minn, AZ, NO, Indy, SD. NO flat out embarrassed the Pats and NE couldnt hold the lead (again) vs Indy as Manning carved the secondary up like cake.

Quite frankly, I have no faith in Wheatley and Wilhite needs to wear a target for a uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back