PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positional importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB15

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This is more my personal train of thought when it comes to the importance of positions, I just wanted to know what you guys think about it. It is biased and flawed but its mine none the less :D

I personally feel that defense is twice as important compared to any given position on offence. The term Defense wins championships comes to mind when thinking this way. A defense makes a team, it is the backbone, heart and soul. I would take a number one defense over a number one offence any day of the week, ex Manning?s offence's of the past 3 years compared to our defense in the past three superbowls. Our Defense in the past was so automatic it made any offence cringe. 3 and out was a every series occurrence, not to mention turnovers where more and more constant. Any defense production leads to a positive for your offence. As to where to start when building a defense, its really depends on your scheme but I have always believed in stopping the run first. A top D-Line provides such a confidence for any defense, knowing that in the trenches you have the advantage makes like easier on the guys in the secondary leaving them to do what they do best. In the 3-4 a intelligent core of lb's is a must, which is exactly what we have now and personally I feel as if we have a top 4 group in the nfl, in vrabel,brushie,seau,and colvin, and as for the secondary...
Just so you know I am a DB at heart and Rodney is by far my favorite player ever, I live and die by these guys, but this secondary has struggled ever since Ty left and rightfully so. Lockdown corners are more than hard to come by in this league but with one on a team it can easily be a more important position more than an all star linebacker an all star running back or elite wr. At corner you have a position that can be exploited if the correct personal is not in place.

I understand the patriots defensive scheme and love the way they value players. I more than accept letting a top flight corner in Ty Law leave, with is value diminishing for his price tag, but I can not see how replacing him with guys like cobbs ( who I love as a player and will be a great corner in the future just not right now) and even Samuel. It is just such a step down from where that secondary was ... it really needs to be a addressed.

thats just part one of my rant, where I will really stir up controversy is in my comparison to the offence, let me know what you guys think.

hahha this should be good, I have a feeling im going to push a lot of buttons with this one.

Let me just come out and say that I never have liked offence and my opinion is very biased.

For a start, let me just say that I would take a top three offensive line over any top three quarterback in the league today. that?s right If I had to choose between the colts, patriots or broncos Oline compared to Manning, Brady or palmer Id take the trenches first. It is not that I dislike brady, in fact I love the guy and the way he plays but I feel as if the qb position is a little hyped up and the O line is very downplayed. Is it fair to say that Brady or Manning behind the raiders O line would look very normal indeed? of course the way the raiders play.. im just trying to open some eyes here. Look at Big Ben, he was brought in to not **** up.. not to win games, and he thrived.

Brady is a legend with what he can do to a game, he is a freak when it comes to understanding game planning and his ability to win.. you just cant teach that. I would want him as my qb over manning for his ability to compete at the highest level when it matters most. But I also believe that in team building the qb should be a focal point but not THE focal point of an offense. When you have a great oline, you have the opportunity to have a great quarterback, and at the same time you have the opportunity to have a great rb, see Edgerrin James. and then comes the wide receivers. To say the least I hate widerecivers who are seen as gods in the nfl today. stupid ***** like owens and chad are big mouth big contract guys who only handicap their team more than helping when it matters and only show up to play when it really doesn?t matter (especially Chad Johnson) I feel the wr position is extremely overrated and its even over saturated in the league today.
Its oblivious that Brady makes you better, and not every qb has that effect on players. I really feel as if widerecivers are meant to be seen and not heard.. see Brown,Rice,Ward. Receivers can make big plays but that window of opportunity comes maybe twice a game for a play longer than 20 yards. Wr's are very expandable in my mind and are the least valuable of all the offensive positions.

Overview: To build a team
I would take a top defense over a top offense
A top Dline comes first, then a top secondary with a shutdown corner, then the lbs
I would take a top O line over a top quarterback
The qb and rb positions are very close in importance... 60/40 for the quarterback
The wide receiver position is very expandable and should be scaled back in importance to leave cap space for other offensive positions.

his name is hobbs and not cobbs. bottom line is you need balance in all three facets of the game. seems to me the pats won a superbowl in 2004 with law injured. I don't think they need a shut down top tier, but it would help. They just need durable quality corners and safeties. Hopefully they will add one or two with some size to help with press coverage and matchups.

I think it's kind of obvious you need to win the line of scrimmage battles, otherwise skill positions lose their impact.

MrBigglesWorth said:
his name is hobbs and not cobbs. bottom line is you need balance in all three facets of the game. seems to me the pats won a superbowl in 2004 with law injured. I don't think they need a shut down top tier, but it would help. They just need durable quality corners and safeties. Hopefully they will add one or two with some size to help with press coverage and matchups.

I think it's kind of obvious you need to win the line of scrimmage battles, otherwise skill positions lose their impact.
hahah my bad on the spelling.

as for the O and Dlines being of the more importance it really isnt acknolage how vital they really are

Seems to me "what's more important" is bound to push buttons, because not only do people have their own ideas of what's most important, but you can minimize the importance of your weakness, and maximize the importance of your strength (which adds gameplanning/playcalling to the "positions," in a way... who has the best "force multipliers"?)

But sticking with positions examined in a vacuum, as much as I want to agree with Defense first, in the modern NFL the QB is the most important position, first last and always. Witness da bears this year.

You can win the big one by not making mistakes at QB, and managing the game. The 2000 Ravens proved that (not to mention the '02 Bucs.) But you can't win with a bad QB turning the ball over. Or a good one, for that matter.

Incompetence at QB will sink even the best defense, because it allows the opposing defense to score.

Similarly, everything else being competent or good, one great player changing the game by superb play, is more likely to be the QB than anybody else. In an outstanding game, a great linebacker may be THE crucial factor in 20 plays. A great DB may be THE crucial factor in 10 (the 10 that would have been catches by his guy, in the shutdown model -- the "invisible stat.") A great QB in a great performance is likely to log over 30 receptions, with at least 3 touchdowns directly attributable to his arm (or, up to six of them.) I don't think any other position has the possibility of affecting the game at the level of QB -- and I don't think it's any accident that the Pats considered a special QB one of the few places where "above market" pricing for the position to be appropriate.

All that said -- yeah, give me a dominant D and a competent QB any day. Thing is, that won't be the formula in NE at least for five years, and probably more like 10. So.... not an issue here ;) The only question is whether the D is going to be competent or dominant... in future years we might see that golden combination. Love our FO.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back