PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Position concern: Speed LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
In packages where we need at least two LBs who can run quickly and cover passes -- who are the LBs?

Mayo is one, the Victor Cruz TD and a lack of INTs notwithstanding. But who's the other? Recent answers might have included Guyton, White, Fletcher, or a variety of safeties and (other) ST-oriented LBs.

Is that the best we can do? Or will one of Fletcher/White/Tarpinian/Niko K/whoever look better in the role after more time with the team?

Since Guyton has played himself off the team (all of the requisite attributes do not a football player make), as of right now it's either Fletcher or Tarpinian. White and Kout were stopgaps, IMO, and nothing more.

Whether that's sufficient or not is another question entirely.

Last edited:
I personally felt for a long time that this was our number one problem on defense. People complain about the pass rush, but so many times I have seen pressure get there and then the qb just throw to whatever zone guyton called himself guarding. I sometimes feel i was the first person to absolutely hate guyton years ago and I am so happy bb finally sees it too. I honestly think our best coverage linebackers are spikes and ninko and in a way that is a huge problem considering they are not fast whatsoever.

Fletcher and White have decent speed and can fill a few roles but after them we have nothing. Koutivides is not the answer and tarpinian may be more fragile than ras-idowling. We have sucked at third down for a few seasons now and the switch to the 4-3 which needs coverage linebackers really opened up bb eyes to our coverage diffeciencies and i believe it will be addressed this season.

Dane Fletcher had terrific coverage on tight end Bear Pascoe and then Victor Cruz, which forced Manning to take a sack on a crucial third down before the end of the third quarter, leading to a field goal. For some reason, it was his only snap.
Patriots? offense a failure in Super Bowl - Page 4 - Boston.com

Fletcher is good in coverage, I dont know why he didnt play more in the SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill