PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Porter says Taylor could be on way to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Take it for what it's worth because it's coming from the mouth of Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter, but in a video interview posted inside this story on the website of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Porter implored the Miami brass to sign free agent Jason Taylor before he goes to the Patriots.

Porter told Omar Kelly of the Sun-Sentinel today that he's spoken to Taylor and that the NFL's active career sacks leader would love to return to the Dolphins, where he spent the first 11 seasons of his career.

Porter said he hopes the Dolphins make the move, but then hinted that if they don't Taylor was headed to New England.

"I'm just watching SportsCenter every day to watch for it to come across the ticker," said Porter of the Dolphins signing Taylor. "I mean Jason really doesn't want to go anywhere from me talking to him, but if it doesn't happen he would have to. Hopefully, we can get him in before he makes that trip out to New England because you really don't want to have to play against him twice a year.

"We know what he can do as a player. I've played against him forever. It's always going to be up top [that] those guys are going to make those decisions, and it's kind of tough to comment on that when you have no control. I don't want to be the one lobbying for something that I feel like puts them in a tough position. I don't want to do that because they like me and I like them. ...But at the same time we need Jason. If we can get him go ahead and get him."

Porter: Taylor could be on way to Patriots - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Last edited:
Gasper: Joey Porter, Jason Taylor could be on way to Pats

Take it for what it's worth because it's coming from the mouth of Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter, but in a video interview posted inside this story on the website of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Porter implored the Miami brass to sign free agent Jason Taylor before he goes to the Patriots.

edit: Porter says Taylor could be on the way not both of them of course. Bad title.

Last edited:
Re: Porter: Taylor could be on way to Patriots

A couple of independent reports suggest the Dolphins aren't real interested in him. I have little doubt he wants to go back to Miami but it doesn't seem to be mutual.

Re: Gasper: Joey Porter, Jason Taylor could be on way to Pats

Using a comma in your thread title is a little deceptive, my friend.

edit: Porter says Taylor could be on the way not both of them of course. Bad title.
Edit your thread and hit the "Go Advanced" button then you can edit your Thread Title.

Interesting development.

I'm surprised Reese posted this comment. It's just an offhand

remark by Jerry Porter signifying nothing.

Last edited:

Porter told Omar Kelly of the Sun-Sentinel today that he's spoken to Taylor and that the NFL's active career sacks leader would love to return to the Dolphins, where he spent the first 11 seasons of his career.

Porter said he hopes the Dolphins make the move, but then hinted that if they don't Taylor was headed to New England.

"I'm just watching SportsCenter every day to watch for it to come across the ticker," said Porter of the Dolphins signing Taylor. "I mean Jason really doesn't want to go anywhere from me talking to him, but if it doesn't happen he would have to. Hopefully, we can get him in before he makes that trip out to New England because you really don't want to have to play against him twice a year.

"We know what he can do as a player. I've played against him forever. It's always going to be up top [that] those guys are going to make those decisions, and it's kind of tough to comment on that when you have no control. I don't want to be the one lobbying for something that I feel like puts them in a tough position. I don't want to do that because they like me and I like them. ...But at the same time we need Jason. If we can get him go ahead and get him."

I'd like to see JT here to see what he can bring, but, honestly, this whole thing seems to have a stink to it that I'm not comfortable with. Too much time gone by, too many mixed messages. I hope it happens, but I'm increasingly pessimistic.

I'd like to see JT here to see what he can bring, but, honestly, this whole thing seems to have a stink to it that I'm not comfortable with. Too much time gone by, too many mixed messages. I hope it happens, but I'm increasingly pessimistic.

Jason Taylor probably wants very much to return to the Dolphins to be

near his kids but it takes two to tango. Unfortunately for Jason, the

Dolphins may not want him.

See, I get the vibe from that that Taylor wants to return to the Fish and the ball is in their court. Basically, Porter is making it sound like Pats are his second option.

Jason Taylor probably wants very much to return to the Dolphins to be

near his kids but it takes two to tango. Unfortunately for Jason, the

Dolphins may not want him.

Exactly. Even Dolphins cognescenti (sic) like Wide Receiver a.k.a. Aqua4Evah don't want him :)

Another year of the old and slow defense criticisms, coming up.

The conversation probably went like this:

JP: "Hey Jason, it's good to see you. Why don't you come back and be a Dolphin and put that jackass Porter wanna be Crowder dude in his place?"

JT: "No thanks. Not with Parcellulite still there."

JP: "C'mon man, deep down you really wanna be a Dolphin again, right?"

JT: "Yeah, I suppose."

JP: "Cool! Can I quote you on that?"

JT: "Whatever. I gotta catch a flight to New England."

If BB wants him it's fine with me. Fine if he doesn't, too. All we know so far is Kraft wants him...and Brady would rather play with him than against him. Jason is just using NE and Miami against each other to see who offers him the most love. That's really a turn off for me. If he really wanted a damn ring he'd be more motivated and less conflicted. I think he wants to be wanted. And if he really had that much left Tuna would probably want him back at a reasonable rate to help guard against year 2 slippage. Either he's nowhere near reasonable or Tuna thinks he's done or he's remains a personality Tuna doesn't need in that newly team oriented locker room.

Gee, I can't wait to give a 34 year old linebacker who was on IR for most of last year, 8 million dollars over 2 years so he can play 20 games for us and rack up 10 sacks.

:rolleyes:

either we get Peppers somehow or we draft some young guys and give Crable his shot outside. I'm not into this JT thing. He seems to have lost his work ethic and is getting old. Let the Dolphins spend too much on him.

Gee, I can't wait to give a 34 year old linebacker who was on IR for most of last year, 8 million dollars over 2 years so he can play 20 games for us and rack up 10 sacks.

:rolleyes:

either we get Peppers somehow or we draft some young guys and give Crable his shot outside. I'm not into this JT thing. He seems to have lost his work ethic and is getting old. Let the Dolphins spend too much on him.

i dont want Taylor or Peppers...too much money and we have the draft pick to get young at the LB position.

You want to depend on a rookie for our biggest, glaring hole?
Don't be melodramatic. We have LBs to start and backup now. A rookie would not be depended on, but would be used according to his ability and need.

A rookie could either start from day one, like Mayo did last year,
fill in early on and play significant minutes, like Guyton did last year,
be an useful injury replacement late in the year, like Redd did last year,
be stashed away for next year like Ruud and Crable did last year.

Given how our rookies were used and managed last year, I can't believe you are finding fault. Not that Taylor wouldn't be useful, but we don't need him or Peppers, and the money they would get (especially Peppers) would not be spent elsewhere where the effect would be greater. Like our defensive backfield, our actual greatest need.

I'm surprised Reese posted this comment. It's just an offhand

remark by Jerry Porter signifying nothing.

Any other time, I'm sure Reiss would pass on it, but with the tumble-weeds rolling around just before the big draft weekend anything Patriot related is newsworthy. Especially for most of us "junkies" looking for a fix!:D

i dont want Taylor or Peppers...too much money and we have the draft pick to get young at the LB position.

The closer the draft gets and with the # of picks they have, I'm beginning to feel this way too. I'll also change my opinion pretty quickly if they pull off a trade for Peppers, but after the nice little swap of picks last year and The selection of Mayo I'll be happy with any type of defensive pick that BB makes in the first 2 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes