Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pope Calls Health Care An ‘Inalienable Right’

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Urges World Governments To Provide Universal Coverage

Pope Benedict XVI and other Catholic church leaders said it is the “moral responsibility of nations to guarantee access to health care for all of their citizens, regardless of social and economic status or their ability to pay.”

“The care of man, his transcendent dignity and his inalienable rights” are issues that should concern Christians, the pope said.

ThinkProgress Pope Calls Health Care An ‘Inalienable Right,’ Urges World Governments To Provide Universal Coverage
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +197 / 3 / -10

Don't think this would be feasible or "the right thing to do" until we get control of the exploding population. The last thing we want is to implement something that would result in a skyrocketing world population.

Limit population growth first and then worry about keeping people healthy. In the meantime, at least the current situation provides for balanced population growth.

Also, no country is going to support funding health care for other countries. So if a country can afford a universal HC plan, then they have that right. But if it can't, then they're out of luck.

Very few citizens in any advanced country want to pay MORE taxes and something like the pope's idea means a lot of new taxes.

Holy one...sometimes I think you'd like to see us pay whatever it takes in taxes to make the world right in your eyes. You'd prolly be ok with us paying 50-60% of our income to create your Utopia.

Guess what HD? There are supposed to be wrongs & inequalities happening. There always has been and there always will be. We don't live in a rainbow commune buddy.

Everything has to be practical. Besides, who'd want to live in a world where "everyone gets the same"?
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Easy for him to say. He is not a health care provider.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The pope is wrong again. Still waiting for this fking azzhole to get something right.

But then again, everything he says is meaningless, so....
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +363 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

In all fairness, he wasn't asking them to. He asked that each individual nation "take care of it's own."

And far be it from us to ever strive to change the status quo.

Really? Who says and how boring!!

Well,certainly not anyone with insecurities, that's for sure. How would they ever prove how good they were by how much they had if not by being able to compare themselves (favorably, of course) to someone who possessed less?

[​IMG]
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +197 / 3 / -10

Prove how good they are? WTF?? I just don't believe people want things GIVEN to them and I know others don't want to have to PAY for the stuff they are given...so they can take it.

Everyone has to contribute, not just "some"...that's the bottom line MrsP

So you think it's ok to be "Impractical"....with who's money MrsP?
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

+1

tencharactors
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +363 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

What about those who cannot contribute? The mentally ill, the physically ill? Not everyone can or will contribute the same amounts but that does not mean they are not contributing equally. If someone is working as hard as they can and as often as they can to the best of their ability, it shouldn't matter that they are making less money and you therefore consider them somehow less entitled to things like health care and education.

I think it's "ok" to spend money on heath care for everyone, yes. And no, I don't think it's "impractical" to want to do so. I'd rather have my tax dollars going to health care for all Americans than going to fight wars or build a bridge to nowhere in Alaska.

Because I pay tax dollars, too, PR, I have just as much of a right as you do to say where I'd like them to go. It's not just "your" money that you're always ranting about - it's "mine," too.
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Well, somebody better tell the world's religions - both by what they practice...

[​IMG]

...and what they preach...

[​IMG]

Of course, it's often the case that front-line religious leaders tend quite compassionately to their flocks, while their hierarchies make decisions that can be characterized as cynical and self serving -- and I say this without regard to denomination.

Still, it is not unusual to hear from the Pope on the subject of healing the sick. I believe officially holy mother church is in favor of that.

By the way, PR, you should sit down some time and add up the actual FICA you've paid. You might also want to add up what you stand to receive from Social Security. And if you weren't a hypocrite, you could send SSA a check for the difference - or stop with this bullcrap about how everybody needs to give to you, but you don't need to be on the hook for anybody else.

PFnV
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Its funny that people hide behind God when its convienient for them.

God wants me to not abort a fetus, but he also wants me to kill muslims

The Bible says that marriage is between a man and a woman. The pope said so...

we are a christian nation...Our money says "In God we trust"

Oh, the Pope says we should adopt universal care in america? Well...hes full of $#!T.
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +197 / 3 / -10

If the money taken out of my check since the day I started working went into my own investments, I gurarantee (as in, I know for a fact) you I'd have enough to retire on comfortably.

To give you an example, when I was 25, I bought a life insurance policy that cost $30/month. that policy would have paid me $100K on my 65th birthday had I not become a drunk. So that's $360/yr x 40 = $14,400 in contributions = $100K!!:D

I know I'll have paid in well over 10 times that amount by the time I retire. Since the stock markets are worth more than 10 times what they were back then, I'd guess my SS contributions would be worth almost $2MM.

If I continue to make the same as I'm making today, I'll have contributed about $170K to Soc Sec by age 65. What, did you think we wouldn't assume interest upon the money we pay?

Now, who needs to cut a check & who's talking BS PFinVA?:rolleyes:
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +600 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Time for the water and wine trick instead of the pope a dope.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pretty funny how you just cast aside your irrational hatred of religion when a religious leader happens to espouse your political viewpoint. Pretty low morals you got there, buddy!

Promise me you'll be just as eager to quote the Pope next time he speaks out on abortion, k thx bye. :rocker:
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

If the pope or any other religious CEO, mythology peddlar, or snake oil salesman told me the world revolved around the sun, I would be compelled to check a book to see if it were true. If this pervert protector said I was my mother's son, I would check my birth certificate and her drivers license. This guy is a lying piece of crap who occasionally says something true but represents an organization that is so criminally heinous on multiple levels that nothing he says should matter. Even Ted Bundy and Osama Bin Ladin could tell the truth.
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow. Comparing the Pope to Osama bin Laden. Nice to know your priorities are in order. :rolleyes:

All that anger, hatred, and intolerance is going to swallow you up someday, son. In fact, seems to me like it already has.
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

I did not ask what woulda shoulda coulda happened if you hadn't got drunk. I am not responsible for making you not drink, and nobody has to make up the fiscal difference between sober and drunk behavior, right?

And I didn't ask you for what woulda shoulda coulda happened were all your behavior the best possible choices without regard to poor choices you might also have made.

For that matter, I could guarantee you that had I put my life savings on the Pats to outright beat the Rams in SB XXXVI, I would have had more money. I did not take that risk. I could guarantee you that had I not bought a home in 2005 I would have more money. I did take that risk.

You are not responsible for giving me money for messing up these choices. I am not responsible for giving you the best rate of return you could have realized in a given period.

Now then - what I asked you to do is write down what you have contributed to social security.

Since you're so freely posting here a bunch of rubbish numbers assuming growth at a high rate of compound interest by assessing every high-growth assumptions ex post facto, why don't you tell us what you have contributed thus far, to age 51, and what you are scheduled to collect once you hit your social security retirement age?

PFnV
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +197 / 3 / -10

Good morning handsome!!

For you to make a statement that assumes, "you'll get more out of the system than you put in" is idiotic at best. That's because that's the whole idea behind "putting money away for retirement" and idea behind "the trust fund".

Money HAS to make money over time PFinVA. And the money I've given to soc sec that is held in the trust fund has increased considerably in value just as the treasuries have increased in value over the past 40 years.

So, if I've contributed $80K thus far, JUST LIKE THE LIFE INSURANCE POLICY I described, it is worth much, much more today. Soc Sec can be compared to a pension fund except it's not invested in as risky vehicles.

If you and I had a $1,000 US treasury bond that matured today, we both know it was probably purchased for about $600 5 or 10 years ago. That's the way the system works PFinVA.

Finally, we are supposed to take out more than we put in!! And the only way to determine how much we should truly be able to take out, would be to look at contributions quarterly and historically match them up to the value/cost of treasuries historically going back to the first contribution.

So, your question is ill conceived and irrelevant. It's the same as someone trying to tell you "You can't take out more than you put into your 401k!"

EVERYONE IS SUPPOSED TO TAKE OUT MORE THAN THEY PUT IN!

C'mon man!
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What "hatred" are you talking about? What part of my post can you refute or is your religious armor so dense that you can't see the realities of the global child rape conspiracy perpetrated by the Unholy Roman Catholic Church? Even churchgoers can't debunk any of my claims.

...And you're not even close to being able to call me "son". Nothing the church can do will ever "swallow me up" (strange choice of terms) as they couldn't be further away from my life as they are now. What puzzles me is why anyone would consider as fact anything that oozes from the gob of this fraud.
  19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

[​IMG]
  20. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

bold: as a matter of fact, yes.