PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pooch punt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainefan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I logged on this morning hoping for a discussion of this very strange play.

My analysis wass that BB felt the Pat's D could stop the Jags' quickly and get the ball back in good field position--let's say the Jags' 45 at worst, with a first down, then go get a touch down.

So, I thought, he was trading a good shot at a field goal for another, and much iffier, shot at a touchdown. I heard that Adam thought the winds were against him, but we were also told there was no wind. It would have been a 46 yard field goal attempt, well within his range.

My wife, watching this, said "you take the points you know you can get," and I agree with her. It was an uncharacteristic gamble by BB. But maybe I've missed something here, maybe something else was on his mind.

Of course, Al Michaels and John Madden added no light at the time and in fact hardly commented on what happened, either to explain it or question it.

Anyone have any other thoughts on the pooch punt? I'm still perplexed.

Mainefan said:

My analysis wass that BB felt the Pat's D could stop the Jags' quickly and get the ball back in good field position--let's say the Jags' 45 at worst, with a first down, then go get a touch down.

So, I thought, he was trading a good shot at a field goal for another, and much iffier, shot at a touchdown. I heard that Adam thought the winds were against him, but we were also told there was no wind. It would have been a 46 yard field goal attempt, well within his range.

My wife, watching this, said "you take the points you know you can get," and I agree with her. It was an uncharacteristic gamble by BB. But maybe I've missed something here, maybe something else was on his mind.

Of course, Al Michaels and John Madden added no light at the time and in fact hardly commented on what happened, either to explain it or question it.

I was at the game and had the same reaction. There was no wind, but apparently the Pats felt they couldn't make the field goal for whatever reason. It was a very conservative play. Just a good thing they were able to down it at the 4 and not have it trickle into the end zone.

Mainefan said:

Great play call. The Pats last pooched in '03 - Brady. It's actually not all that strange of a play. It's a great way to catch the opposition off guard and gain an advantage via field position. I liked the call, the Pats were out of Vinatieri's range.

John Elway was a master at the pooch punt. Denver would fake going for it on 4th down, and Elway would bloop a short one downfield. Used to drive me nuts he was so good at it!

Mainefan said:
It would have been a 46 yard field goal attempt, well within his range.

My husband and I had the exact same conversation. All's well that ends well, I guess, but for the life of me I couldn't see why we didn't for for the three points.

Please God, make this the only "pooch punt" thread.

The field position they gained was worth more than the 3 points. It was a slick call because if they'd punted from a normal formation then we wouldn't have had so many guys there to prevent the touchback. Another wily move by ol' BB

It was pretty clear that in last night's conditions that they felt a 46 yard field goal was not within Adam's preferred range. The next time they got down there they went for it on 4th and long.

If we were 10 yards closer, would he have pooched it? No, certainly not. The field position was NOT worth more than 3 points.

bb judged that it was not automatic for Adam from 46 yesterday in that direction.

The Globe said during warm-ups it was just out of Adam's range. Must have been because the ball was as hard as a rock.

I figured too the ball must be hard as a rock and it wasn't an automatic three points. And if they missed, which they seemed to think was entirely possible, and face it, no one knows better than the coaches what Adam is comfortable doing on a particular night, the Jags would have pretty good field position. Luckily, the pooch punt did work according to plan, unfortunately, we were unable to capitalize on all that great field position. But in the end, it hardly mattered, did it?

Last edited:
Madden or Michaels mentioned that Vinatieri actually told Belichick that he wasn't comfortable hitting a FG that long from that end of the stadium. Apparantly that's the harder end to hit a fg from.

huskeralk said:
Madden or Michaels mentioned that Vinatieri actually told Belichick that he wasn't comfortable hitting a FG that long from that end of the stadium. Apparantly that's the harder end to hit a fg from.

Just adds to Belichick's genius and game prep that he even has his field goal kicker ready to carry out pooch punts. Adam also threw a TD pass to Troy Brown last year. How many times have you seen that?

Mainefan said:

My analysis wass that BB felt the Pat's D could stop the Jags' quickly and get the ball back in good field position--let's say the Jags' 45 at worst, with a first down, then go get a touch down...

That was the consensus in the game thread last night.

Not knowing the wind conditions I thought they were within range but if Adam V. and BB felt the best strategy was a pooch punt, I wasn't going to second guess them

Indeed, the play was executed very well!

Even though some at the game might have thought there was no wind, I do know that conditions in the stands and conditions on the field are VERY different

Indeed, they opted not to attempt the long field goal, not once but twice (when they went for it on 4th down) so I think its clear the wind WAS an issue

Additionally, it seemed to me that once they changed direction in the 3rd quarter, the wind, along with other strategic adjustments, turned the tables on the Jags and helped benefit them

LOL, I was just thinking of the Jags field goal attempts. The one that JUST squeaked through (I did think the look on Josh Scobee's face was priceless) and then they missed one. I just don't think BB and co. felt comfortable with the long field goals last night and it's just good we did not end up needing them.

JoeSixPat said:
Even though some at the game might have thought there was no wind, I do know that conditions in the stands and conditions on the field are VERY different

Indeed, they opted not to attempt the long field goal, not once but twice (when they went for it on 4th down) so I think its clear the wind WAS an issue

There really was no wind on the field. The flags on both goalposts did not move at all the entire night.

It was the cold conditions that made the football hard as a rock that was the issue.

at the game we were all wondering as well, would have to say that Adam gave BB his range at each end before the game and that was on the fringe because of the cold, there wasnt much wind to speak of at all in the game.

The pooch punt worked perfectly and is another one of those little things throughout the game that seperates the Pats from the rest.

[".... unfortunately, we were unable to capitalize on all that great field position. But in the end, it hardly mattered, did it?[/QUOTE]

We did not score on the subsequent possession but maintained the field position until we did score one the third or fourth possession. Meanwhile the Jags couldn't open their Offense and neded to waste a down or two getting a few ards of workimng room, before punting it back several times until Dwight brought one back...

Bella*chick said:
I figured too the ball must be hard as a rock and it wasn't an automatic three points. And if they missed, which they seemed to think was entirely possible, and face it, no one knows better than the coaches what Adam is comfortable doing on a particular night, the Jags would have pretty good field position. Luckily, the pooch punt did work according to plan, unfortunately, we were unable to capitalize on all that great field position. But in the end, it hardly mattered, did it?
I offer the obligatory contrary view: we capitalized by giving the Jags a long field, you tend to play more conservatively when deep in your own territory to prevent a turnover, which made it easier for the D to stop them and force a punt. The offense may not have punched anything in right away, but the defense was working with a field position advantage and it paid off in the long run. Recall the drive the Jags had to score their FG, they had to go the length of the field and the D just wore them down. :cool:

AzPatsFan said:
We did not score on the subsequent possession but maintained the field position until we did score one the third or fourth possession. Meanwhile the Jags couldn't open their Offense and neded to waste a down or two getting a few ards of workimng room, before punting it back several times until Dwight brought one back...
Is this twisted minds think alike? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back