Welcome to PatsFans.com

Polls - do Americans actually think ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +302 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I just saw a somewhat poll on Cap and Tax on Rasmussen but as he's discredited here I thought I'd look at Gallup and it makes no sense.

There is this question :

""What if a cap and trade program significantly lowered greenhouse gases but raised your monthly electrical bill by 25 dollars a month? In that case would you support or oppose it?"

The support for this was -10% (54-44 against).

But then there is this question :

""What if it raised the price of things you buy? In that case do you think the federal government should or should not regulate the release of greenhouse gases?""

The support for this was +62% (80-18 for).

So . . . when the specifics of Cap & Trade and costing $25 a month are mentioned people are against it. But when the generics of "regulate greenhouse gases" and "raise the price of things you buy" are mentioned, people can't grasp what that is and are overwhelmingly for it ???

Non partisan, non pro/con issue intended here - how can these polls possibly be from the same group ? I think it's literally the same group of people answering but even if they're from different samples, with a +/- 3.5% MoE . . . I just don't get it.

http://www.pollingreport.com/enviro.htm
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

To answer the question, nowadays 90% do NOT think, except with their stomachs and genitals.

Thank you, churches, education establishment, TV, magazines, and most other cultural "spokespersons".

//
  3. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's all in the phraseology of the questions; like they first ask the question using a hard number ($25) and specifically cite your electric bill as the target. Electricity prices get messed with enough plus it's a basic utility,it's a necessity.

Then they re-phrase the question into a very general,abstract one. They went from 25.00 to "raise prices", and they changed Electric Bill to "things you buy". The phrase "things you buy" is broad and therefore far less threatening, and it implies having a choice. Maybe it's things like clothing that will go up,buying clothes is something people have more control over and is a less painful place to control one's consumption. Most people are probably only moderately aware that electricity is actually something they "buy",in the strictest terms anyway.

That poll is a great illustration of just how easy it is to get whatever poll results you want simply by constructing and phrasing your questions a certain way. If anyone watches Lou Dobbs (whom I like), his poll questions are a perfect example of that.

It's scary how easily people's minds and thought processes can be manipulated. I'm not sure that indicates stupidity necessarily, but it's indeed a scary place that we're at. I'd call us "brainwashed" rather than stupid.

Good post B, it's hopefully an eye-opener to everybody.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Gerald Celente calls it Obamageddon. While he acknowledges everything that's going on began a long time ago,he argues that Obama's actions are absolutely unprecedented not just because of their nature but also because of the rapidity of them. He also happens to be non-political,calling himself a "political atheist". Here's Gerald 'Doom but he's rarely been wrong over the years' Celente's take: Gerald Celente on the Cap and Trade Scam

The Decline of Thinking
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I think cap and trade could turn out to be usefull ... time will tell.

I just don't see how it's going to work in terms of new technology.

Solar and wind are okay for rural uses but they cannot solve the big problem.

We're sitting on tons and tons of coal ... more unemployed now.
    Less dependancy on foreign oil (dried up oil according to PC) will be good.

In other words I would like cap and trade whole lot better if we were building more nuke plants.
    But we're not ... so how exactly will it change anything except our bill going up for like everything?
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +302 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Yeah, I was STUNNED, though, that putting the small number of $25 vs. the generic statement of "raised the price of things you buy" had such a dramatic effect. Do people really think that "raising the price of things you buy" would be by such a small amount that it would cost less than $25 a month ? Crazy.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

That's exactly how people think in this idiocracy. And it applies to all types and subjects of questions. And what's worse, they went ahead and answered the vaguely phrased question probably without even thinking about the actual number.

This is worrisome, to me. More than the wars, Obama, Wall Street suits.. azzholes of all kinds. This points to a grim future for this country.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +302 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's almost like they disassociate themselves from "higher prices" figuring it will be someone else paying them - or "the rich" - but SHOCK no way can you add $25 to MY BILL.
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Obama may be asking the Iranians for advice soon.
    When it comes to increase in energy prices we all pay ... except for perhaps the Amish.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No. I don't think that's it. It the difference between words and numbers. The brain is basically mathematic in its basic function and so it attaches more "meaning" to numbers generally. That's why politicians never say how long some project to take until it works or is proven. Even though that number is prolly known by "experts", a politician never gives it, at least not since Kennedy.
  11. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think it would also be key to know whether these two questions were asked together or if they were separate polls of different people. I think there would be a drastic difference if the second question was asked independently rather than as a follow-up to the first. There's not much information from the link about this, but note the second question is actually listed before the first question there, with several other questions inbetween. I'm guessing the two weren't asked together.
  12. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Short answer: nope.
  13. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Nope. Most Americans don't. Esp. when the typical braindead American watches hours and hours of TV.

Did you know that the human brain evinces less activity watching TV than when the person is sleeping? Amazing.
  14. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That would address the brain-dead,brainwashed issue but it would furthur enhance the issue of phraseology and how much a mere change of words or expression can completely alter the respondent's perception of impact.

But you're right; how creepy would it be if it was the exact same group of people responding to both questions, especially if there was a narrow timeframe between the questions, say just a 2-3 question span. Whoa.

People are losing the ability to not only think but reason. Scary stuff imo. The environment is the least of our problems.