Welcome to PatsFans.com

Poll: Which tight ends make the final 53?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Deus Irae, Aug 10, 2009.

?

Which tight ends make the final 53?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2009.
  1. Ben Watson

80.6%
  2. Alex Smith

93.9%
  3. Chris Baker

91.8%
  4. Dave Thomas

59.2%
  5. Tyson DeVree

5.1%
  6. A tight end not currently on the roster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. None of the above tight ends will make the cut

1.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,128 / 197 / -145

Disable Jersey

With the Hall Of Fame Game, the exhibition season has started. It's no longer just practices. With that, let's get some people on record, just for fun. Obviously, it's still early, so things can change, but lets pass some time.

Which tight ends do you think will make the final 53, who will be cut, and will any of them be traded?

2. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Watson because of his ability, Baker because of his blocking, Smith because the Pats just traded for him and Thomas because of his receiving ability. DeVree doesn't make it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,079 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

That's the same list I have. However, that's a lot of potential starting tight ends to keep. If anybody else (besides DeVree) is to not make the final 53, I would suspect that it's Thomas.

4. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Im going to go the risk that Ben Watson will be delt to Kc for a third and a fifth.. I think the only sure lock is Baker..

5. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,128 / 197 / -145

Disable Jersey

Interesting. K.C. could definitely use him. The "Replace Gonzalez" experiment is off to a very rocky start, with the expected replacement really struggling.

6. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think the Watson experiment is over unless they keep 4. They should lock him in a room with Maroney and keep the one that comes out alive. Smith, Baker, and Thomas maake the team as Thomas finally gets out of the doghouse.

7. West Philly Patriot

West Philly Patriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +206 / 5 / -7

#12 Jersey

I went with Watson, Baker and smith, I dont think they're keeping 4 with all the receivers/DB's we have that are also ST'ers. And to be honest im not as down on Watson as everyone else seems to be. From a pure talent standpoint I have him as the best TE on the roster with Alex Smith not far behind.

8. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 27 / -38

#15 Jersey

Bye-Bye Wendy's guy. Good luck in the CFL.

9. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -1

I voted for Watson, Baker & Thomas. Every year BB has lots of them in camp then goes with whomever he had last year and a vet (this is probably too much of a generalization, but this is what it feels like).

10. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Why is everyone so sold on Baker? I was never impressed with him with the Jets, and he caught zero TDs last year. Why on earth is he "the only lock??"

11. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

It is certainly an interesting battle.
    I think Alex Smith has looked good in camp so far and with the trade I figure he is a lock.
    Despite Watson's drop off the last year or so I still think he is a lock because he has the rapport with brady and his stats as a reciever are better than the others plus he seems to be getting better at blocking.
    Baker is probably the best blocker of the group and we have kind of missed that a little since Grahmbo left. Plus he has made some nice plays vs us with the Jets and the way players perform VS us has always stood out to BB (see Welker, Morris, and Lewis as examples).
    Thomas..if you asked me before camp I would have been stupid like most and held a grudge over his bonehead play and lack of performance but to be fair he was hurt and I have been moaning people over Slater and his one play. But anyway I have been really impressed with him throughout this camp.
    Devree has some really nice hands and he shows them off with plenty of nice catches in camp but I just don't see how he can beat out the other guys.

But really I don't think this question is easy to answer because I don't know if we wind up carrying 3 or 4....it is easy to say that we will carry 4 because we dont have a FB but than people want 5 running backs and I don't think we can keep 9 guys from these two positions so either the 4th TE goes or Lawfirm goes or maybe both go and we keep Edelman as the 5th WR and Aiken and Ventrone as STers. one thing is for sure there will be a bunch of tough decisions and TE will likely be one of them.

12. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Same here.

13. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I agree,We sent a former jet packing for home last year (Hobson) and this former Jet is going to be another a year later - Blocking TE will not save his job

Smith,Watson and Thomas are your 3 TEs on the opening roster..you heard it here first :cool:

14. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I don't question that Baker could potentially be sent home but I do question that blocking could save him...the other 3 would seem to have some similar skill sets and offering a different look could be more valueble but than again maybe BB is happy to keep using OL as blocking TEs. IMO this is one of the most wide open battles on the team as I could see all 4 or any of the 4 making it but I dont see Devree in that mix though he has looked good too.

15. PATRIOT64

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You have a better chance in selling your home for what you paid for it right now than DeVree making the roster,He had hopes as a #3 until Smith and Baker were signed,now its all but gone IMO.

Graham was a great blocker and he was clutch on many a third and long play that people don't give him credit for - I don't think from what I have seen from Baker as a Jet that shows he is going to be clutch when it counts,Blocking does help him here but he may need a helluva preseason to gain a spot

I think the team dumps DeVree after this weeks game and keeps the other 4 vying for position till the last minute 53 man cut

16. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,079 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

His blocking skills which would greatly help this offensive line protect a quarterback coming off of major knee surgery. He's the best blocking tight end on the team.

17. PATRIOT64

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Wasn't Kyle Brady signed for the exact same thing in 2007 for his superb blocking skills but less skills than an average receiving TE? - And what did he produce for the team?..that's right,nada and never was the blocker here he was expected to be.

I think Baker is a younger version of Kyle Brady...Oh by the way,what team did Kyle play for before?,the Jets - Ironic isn't it? :cool:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  18. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,079 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

I would have loved to see whether or not Brady takes less hits in Super Bowl XLII if Kyle Brady was in.

19. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 1 / -3

Patriots journal: Watson might be hearing footsteps

Patriots journal: Watson might be hearing footsteps by Shalise Manza Young of the Providence Journal

20. RabidPatsFan

RabidPatsFan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#51 Jersey

Didn't Kyle Brady play for the Jags before coming to the Pats?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.