PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: which best describes your feelings on the Moss trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post. The responses I've seen to this trade are what motivated me to join after lurking for awhile.

Many have said "we traded our best player..."
As far as I'm concerned, Moss wasn't even our best receiver (see Welker, Wes). He is a soft player, he is not reliable under pressure, he is not a team guy, he is aging, his production is in decline, and he has become a major distraction. Bill Simmons made the 'Rasheed Wallace' comparison in that he is great as long as the team is winning, but terrible under adversity. Actually, I think he got it close except that Sheed is a winner, and Moss is a LOSER.

Many have said "I'm going to miss watching him"...
Not me. The guy doesn't even bother with his assignments on running plays, and if he is not the primary target on passing plays he goes through the motions, jogging or he literally stops or walks. Pathetic, really... disgraceful, shameful, etc. Not Patriot football at all.

I love the people who say "we gave up a 3rd and a 5th for Burgess."
So because we made a huge blunder on Burgess, that means we now refuse to trade a stiff like Moss unless we can get more than we gave up for Burgess? BS. Teams know that Moss is a shrinking violet, a baby, weak minded, a potential distraction, etc.... AND he is in the last year of his contract, AND his skills are in decline, AND he is overrated as it is. I'm surprised we were able to get as much as we did for him. Great job BB.

This is a GREAT trade. Let's get the ball in Hernandez' hands more. Let's get the ball to Edelman more. Let's use Woodhead in the passing game. Gronkowski needs to have more touches. Let's see if those guys shamefully refuse to block or cry on the sidelines like Moss after they drop passes and don't get their name called again for awhile.

Good riddance, Moss. Have fun destroying your next team.
Great job, Pat.

WW
But how do you really feel?

:welcome:

Great first post, and I agree with you.

Chris, I agree with this but there's something here that I really hate. (Your post was the first one to indicate it.)

Everyone says "well now maybe we'll have more diversity in plays." My problem is we could've had that AND Moss. I hate that people think if we have Moss we can't have diversity. The "Randy Ratio" didn't work, per say, and we never should try to be that team. You hit the dude once or twice a game for big yards and a TD or two and you're golden. I don't know why Tom forced the ball to him sometimes and missed him open others. (Perhaps he's human LOL) But I really hate that we look at this and say, well now the offense will be more diverse. If that's the case then it's an indemnification on the coaching of the offense NOT Randy. Randy was a stud and we should've done whatever it took to keep him, I think.

Now again, I still think we can win. I'm not a doom-and-gloom guy. (I tried that when Bledsoe went down and got proved REALLY wrong.) BUT I also don't think we're a better team without Moss. If we are, it means someone on the coaching staff is incompetent. THAT makes me more uncomfortable than anything else about this trade.

/end rant
It *is* a critique of the coaching that I've made in tempered tones (unlike the "OMG...the coaching SUCKS!!!) many times last year and already a few times this year. With Moss and Welker at WR and Faulk coming out of the backfield, the spread was a very compelling offense that could light up most of the league. Because of this, I think the coaches fell in love with it to the point they were stubborn to get away from it even when they ran into the handful of teams who could stop it. Now without Moss (and to a lesser extent without Faulk), I think the personnel will force their hand into running a more balanced offense.

Of course it didn't have to be like this. I remember the games last year vs. Atlanta and Baltimore (win, not loss) the team played a balanced game on offense. I remember John Abraham being quoted after the game saying how the D had no idea what play the Pats were running next; Atlanta had clearly prepared for the spread and was caught completely offguard. There should have been more of that, particularly on the road, but ce la vie.

Regards,
Chris

I was very sad to see him go yesterday, but today I am fine. The game must go on. That's just the way it is.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back