PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: which best describes your feelings on the Moss trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's this guy I work with who owns 4 Ford Explorers. One from each year starting in 2008, including a brand new one this year. He makes pretty good money at work and has a side business that I'm guessing is pretty successful. He could easily have afforded 4 4Runners if he wanted to, or a couple of luxury cars. Keep in mind, he's not in construction or in the business where having a full size SUV is a necessity. So I asked him one day what the fascination was with Explorers or did he have a connection with a Ford dealership and was getting good prices. He simply said, "money's not the issue, Explorer's are just better value."

The guy you work with sounds like a bona fide moron.

I'm in wait-and-see mode, but my initial reaction is "ugh".

As well as BJGE has looked in the last two games, he's not Corey Dillon circa 2004. If the running game proves not good enough to keep teams honest, the passing game is going to miss Moss even as someone who just reliably draws double-teams. Teams are going to bracket Welker like crazy now and dare Brady to go to the TEs, Edleman and Tate. My wait-and-see attitude is there because I wouldn't be shocked if those guys and Brady step up, but I'm only cautiously optimistic at this point.

On the other hand, if this means more gameplans with Brady under center and play calls that try to keep the opponent guessing, I like it. The 2007 Pats fell in love with the spread and indeed it's effective against most of the league, but the playoff teams won't fear it. Plus, the Pats have run it so much the last few years that the good teams will have plenty of game film to dissect and find ways to stop it. Maybe no Moss means more diversity in the formations.

Regards,
Chris

Chris, I agree with this but there's something here that I really hate. (Your post was the first one to indicate it.)

Everyone says "well now maybe we'll have more diversity in plays." My problem is we could've had that AND Moss. I hate that people think if we have Moss we can't have diversity. The "Randy Ratio" didn't work, per say, and we never should try to be that team. You hit the dude once or twice a game for big yards and a TD or two and you're golden. I don't know why Tom forced the ball to him sometimes and missed him open others. (Perhaps he's human LOL) But I really hate that we look at this and say, well now the offense will be more diverse. If that's the case then it's an indemnification on the coaching of the offense NOT Randy. Randy was a stud and we should've done whatever it took to keep him, I think.

Now again, I still think we can win. I'm not a doom-and-gloom guy. (I tried that when Bledsoe went down and got proved REALLY wrong.) BUT I also don't think we're a better team without Moss. If we are, it means someone on the coaching staff is incompetent. THAT makes me more uncomfortable than anything else about this trade.

/end rant

I would not allow this type of shenanigan to happen in my Fantasy League.

WOW!! :rofl:

IF THAT statement doesn't PERFECTLY sum up what's wrong with the mentality of you cats who think this was a BAD move...NOTHING does!! :rofl:

Once, AGAIN:

WOW!! :rofl:

IF THAT statement doesn't PERFECTLY sum up what's wrong with the mentality of you cats who think this was a BAD move...NOTHING does!! :rofl:

Once, AGAIN:

*Sees you look up in the air and watch my post land behind you*

SMH

I felt sick at first, I just hated it;

Then I found out we only got a 3 and hated it more and was angry;

Then I heard about the crap he has been pulling, even at halftime in the locker room, and I have switched over to acceptance and hope.

It was a required move. You can't accept insubordination and lack of effort or the attitude spreads like wildfire.

Exactly how I feel. Well put. In addition to that I'm heartbroken and I'll miss Randy a lot. Like a girlfriend dumping me. It was a hell of a ride when he was here though :(

I'm totally happy with the move. I do trust the management, and I think they realized that Moss' presence was actually hurting the offense. He pouted for balls to be thrown his way, and this leads to second guessing and guilt trips for Brady whenever the play call is elsewhere.

One poster said that we could have had variety AND Moss, but I don't see how that's possible when Randy takes so many plays off. The team also needed more playing time for Edelman. The trade does hurt us depth-wise, but the locker room mood will improve as well.

I don't think Moss was playing very well, even after working so hard in camp. Opposing defenses have his weaknesses mapped out. He is a known quantity.

I really believe that the main reason BB traded Randy was that he was hurting the offense more than helping. It wasn't because he was becoming a locker room cancer. That was a secondary reason. The Pats have not packed it in at all. I think we just got better.

Did I expect more for him? Sure did. But the market is what people will pay, and even a desperate Vikings team would pay only a third rounder for a year's rental of Randy Moss. I'm sure they got what they could for him. He would likely have brought a third rounder as compensation pick had the team stuck with him till next year, but again, he was hurting the offense. Good mover, overall, I think.

he will look like Randy Moss, again with the vikings. but lets face it the pats were not useing him so it was a good trade IMO

Regardless of how things turn out this year Moss had to go.

He was trying to shoot his way out of town, and if he stayed he could

have done some real damage to this young team. JMT.

No one player is bigger than the team. There is no I in Team, but there is now an Idiot in Minnesota. Well actually 3 now if you count Favre & Childress.

We will all be fine.

I for one cannot wait to see Lord Favre throw a veritable blizzard of picks as he attempts to force the ball to Randy time and again regardless of coverage just to prove a point. Can't stand Favre, like Moss despite his fatal quirks.

I for one cannot wait to see Lord Favre throw a veritable blizzard of picks as he attempts to force the ball to Randy time and again regardless of coverage just to prove a point. Can't stand Favre, like Moss despite his fatal quirks.

It's going to be like Christmas come early watching Favre crash and burn.

Regardless of how things turn out this year Moss had to go.

He was trying to shoot his way out of town, and if he stayed he could

have done some real damage to this young team. JMT.

After reading all the posts, IMO, posters are not looking at this from Randy's point of view. Like him or not, you're a fool if you don't realize we had the privilege of watching the 2nd best receiver in the history of the game. The guy caught 50 touchdown passes in 3 1/4 seasons. The guy just caught #151. In the last yr of a 4 yr contract, the guy wanted to be extended to get security beyond a new CBA. ( Anyone who doesn't realize next yr will at least be abbreviated, is living in Wonderland.) To let his contract expire and sit out a season of no football, and go looking for a new deal at 35 yrs old is a 10 million dollar mistake at the least. Would you do that? If so, then that is why you are where you are. As the flat-chested hooker said, " If I had 'em, I'd know what to do with 'em." Randy Moss playing nice without a contract extension was not going to happen.

This team is young, exciting, and inexperienced. It has enough flaws that Moss being here was not going to make or break the season, and they'll probably be better off in the long run without him now. Cut the apron strings and coach 'em up. Hopefully, this will make an impression on Merriweather and other stage-struck performers.

Greetings,
Thanks for the great memories Randy, you were extremely exciting to watch when you where on the field. But if Bill and co felt this was the right move, then I am ok with it, not excited. I was also more convinced when Troy Brown, Rodney Harrison, and Tedy Bruschi gave their explanations on it.
Peace,
Celticboy04

Last edited:
3rd round picks have better value

We traded a 3rd and 5th round pick for Burgess who lasted just one year here in NE because he sucked.

We just traded a guy that defenses were forced to double team and made EVERYONE better just by being on the field for only a measely 3rd round pick PLUS we gave up a 7th rounder.

Does that even sound right?

Depressed to see him go. Not giving up on the season like chicken littles would, but I'm not feeling better about it today than I was Monday night.

Thread misnomer where's the damned poll?

I'm ssoooooooo damn tired of these 'shot his way out of town' comments. You would think that in the 4 games this season he burned down an orphanage, killed a pregnant woman during a DUI, and infected Belichick's daughter with AIDS.

This is my first post. The responses I've seen to this trade are what motivated me to join after lurking for awhile.

Many have said "we traded our best player..."
As far as I'm concerned, Moss wasn't even our best receiver (see Welker, Wes). He is a soft player, he is not reliable under pressure, he is not a team guy, he is aging, his production is in decline, and he has become a major distraction. Bill Simmons made the 'Rasheed Wallace' comparison in that he is great as long as the team is winning, but terrible under adversity. Actually, I think he got it close except that Sheed is a winner, and Moss is a LOSER.

Many have said "I'm going to miss watching him"...
Not me. The guy doesn't even bother with his assignments on running plays, and if he is not the primary target on passing plays he goes through the motions, jogging or he literally stops or walks. Pathetic, really... disgraceful, shameful, etc. Not Patriot football at all.

I love the people who say "we gave up a 3rd and a 5th for Burgess."
So because we made a huge blunder on Burgess, that means we now refuse to trade a stiff like Moss unless we can get more than we gave up for Burgess? BS. Teams know that Moss is a shrinking violet, a baby, weak minded, a potential distraction, etc.... AND he is in the last year of his contract, AND his skills are in decline, AND he is overrated as it is. I'm surprised we were able to get as much as we did for him. Great job BB.

This is a GREAT trade. Let's get the ball in Hernandez' hands more. Let's get the ball to Edelman more. Let's use Woodhead in the passing game. Gronkowski needs to have more touches. Let's see if those guys shamefully refuse to block or cry on the sidelines like Moss after they drop passes and don't get their name called again for awhile.

Good riddance, Moss. Have fun destroying your next team.
Great job, Pat.

WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back