Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which team is the TRUE Champion of the NFL?

• Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Seattle Seahawks

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • New England Patriots

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • None of the Above - No Champion for 2006

Votes: 29 40.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Steelers? After all, no matter how ugly and poorly they played, ulitimately they did score more points than Seattle and legitimately beat good teams to make it to the Super Bowl

The Seahawks? They didn't play like Champions but then again every big play they had in the SB was called back by the refs - on MANY questionable calls.

Or perhaps the Patriots. If neither the Steelers nor the Seahawks deserve to be called "champions" after such poor performances in the SB, shouldn't the reigning Champions retain the title until another team proves themselves worthy of being called "champion"?

Or maybe its none of the above - that 2006 was the "Year without a Lombardi" - no team in the NFL is deserving of being called "Champion" this year.

we got pissed off when Steelers, Rams, and Raider fans did not recognize us as the true champion of 2001, so I think it would be hypocritical of us to not recognize the Steelers' tremendous playoff run.

Funny you should mention this. I was listening to the Herd on ESPN Radio today and the host said he wont acknowledge the Steelers Super Bowl "win", that it doesn't count and that it wont be mentioned on his show.

A caller then called up and said that means the Pats are going for a three-peat next year because they are still the reigning champs. :rocker:

brdmaverick said:
we got pissed off when Steelers, Rams, and Raider fans did not recognize us as the true champion of 2001, so I think it would be hypocritical of us to not recognize the Steelers' tremendous playoff run.

This is a nationwide thing. Neutral fans across the country are up in arms. This isn't just bitter fans from the team that got beat. Everybody is calling for reform.

brdmaverick said:

I was with the camp that said the Patriots did not deserve to win against Denver... that bad calls balance themselves out and that Champions rise above that - and that Denver deserved to win if only because the Patriots did not.

NEITHER team, IMO, deserved to win this game. The Steelers did not play like Champions in the Super Bowl and I suspect most of their fans have some inkling of this.

So I simply open it to discussion.

Frankly I love the fact that the current so-called Champions only have the ring by default - and thanks in large part to major errors by the Refs. My preference would be that we call the Steelers "Champions" but have an asterix next to their name, acknowledging that the Seahawks have a legitmate dispute.

Last edited:
I dont know, I know the Stillers won and it will be said that they are the champs, but Coward will be like Brian Billick one and done..

Shame on you FIVE numbnut homers that voted for the Patriots.
:rolleyes:

Edit: wow.. 8 now.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
I was with the camp that said the Patriots did not deserve to win against Denver... that bad calls balance themselves out and that Champions rise above that - and that Denver deserved to win if only because the Patriots did not.

NEITHER team, IMO, deserved to win this game. The Steelers did not play like Champions in the Super Bowl and I suspect most of their fans have some inkling of this.

So I simply open it to discussion.

Frankly I love the fact that the current so-called Champions only have the ring by default - and thanks in large part to major errors by the Refs. My preference would be that we call the Steelers "Champions" but have an asterix next to their name, acknowledging that the Seahawks have a legitmate dispute.

I think the super bowl was the straw that broke the fans back; the entire playoffs were officiated badly. The Steelers were on the worst end of the worst officiating in Indy. The entire Divisional round was a disgrace for the Refs. The patriots bad calls sucked but the two that stung the most immediately followed a turnover by us. Take away the turnover and you take away the bad call.

To say that the Steelers didn't earn this is not right. They had the hardest rode to a title in SB history. Hell there playoffs started with about 4-5 games left in the season. They played bad on Sunday but the Seahawks didn't play a whole lot better. They had the field position for the entire first quarter and couldn't get it done, the kicker missed 2 field goals and they couldn't pick up the first downs inside the 40. There punter couldn't get the ball to land inside the 20 and the one time he does the punt coverage is aloof. Then they let Parker run 75 yards to open the 2nd half, clock mismanagement, punting with 6 minutes left in the game, not being disciplined and staying with the coverage on a trick play that you should have expected at any point late in the game. Not to mention the killing drops by Stevenson. So, it wasn't just the bad calls that beat Seattle.

The offensive PI was bad but at the same time a lot of folks b!tch about the lack of Offensive PI (I know I do), it is the inconsistency that bothers me about that call. If you don't call it all year except for the most egregious then you shouldn't call a simple arm extension in the SB. The Big Ben TD is irrelevant; they would have had 4 and a 1/2 inch. The holding to me was the worst call and the worst non-calls all night, Pittsburgh got away with a lot of holding.

The game is over the Steelers had an amazing run and hopefully next year the Pats don't give the ball up 5 times in a playoff game and win the SB again. Sean sorry about the harsh words the other night. I had more then a few beers in me at the time and for whatever reason what you wrote struck me wrong. I shouldn't have been such a jerk.

Super Bowl Champions are always the team that plays the best from Dec. 1 until the Super Bowl. They are not always the best team of the year. This year Indy was the best regular season team, but lost it in December (due to several factors) and never recovered.

It's obviously the Seahawks, sure we got screwed on some calls, but there is no guarentee we would have beaten pittsburgh. So I have to go with the team that actually made it to the SB.

As much as I hate to say it, the Stealers got snow jobbed in the Colt game but managed to overcome it. We turned over the ball 5 times all on our own.

Last edited:
Steelers.

I would be pissed it I were Seattle, but no one knows that they would have won otherwise.

Let me add that I am embarrassed you put the Patriots in your poll.

I love the Pats, but to have a team that didn't even advance to the AFCC game as the SB champ is probably the most homerific thing I have ever seen, or atleast in a long time.

And I am even more shocked that people have voted that way!

The Pats did get hosed by the refs, but not a single one of the bad calls would have happened where it not for a previous screw up by the Pats. The Pats put the game in the officials hands.

You have to say the Steelers. They won the championship and it wasn't under the best circumstances, but they still did.

Now ask me whether being called a "champion" after playing so poorly in such a poorly officiated game even means all that much.

The Steelers didn't lose the Super Bowl. They also didn't go into Denver and commit 5 turnovers.

So, like it or not, they are the Champs until we take it back next year.

There are 21 people who are taking some sort of mind altering drug.

sarge said:
Let me add that I am embarrassed you put the Patriots in your poll.

I love the Pats, but to have a team that didn't even advance to the AFCC game as the SB champ is probably the most homerific thing I have ever seen, or atleast in a long time.

And I am even more shocked that people have voted that way!

I'm embarrassed that you're embarrassed and don't seem to understand the concept that it would be wrong to preclude people from expressing their views.

That opinion had been previously expressed by some in the discussion and including it as an option - on a Patsfans.com board - is common sense.

It belongs as evidenced by the fact that a few people chose it. I don't agree with it, any more than I agree the Seahawks should be crowned Champions.

Do you think its wrong to allow Seahawks fans the opportunity to express their views that they were robbed?

Let's not be oversensitive - its a Patsfans.com poll - not Gallup research. Geez.

it may have not been the greatest game but the Steelers won it so they are the champs of the NFL

JoeSixPat said:
The Steelers? After all, no matter how ugly and poorly they played, ulitimately they did score more points than Seattle

Unless official doesn't make PI call on Seattle TD that is equivalent of a cop writing a speeding ticket for doing 56 in a 55 MPH zone and official doesn't give Rothlisberger a TD for what he was so unsure of he had to wait until he walked up to Big Ben to signal TD. Then Seahwaks win by 17-14. Which is what should have been.

Last edited:
Obviously the Steelers are the Champions :( Not necessarily the best team, but certainly the Champions.

brdmaverick said:

Agree 100%. The win was tarnished but the Steelers really earned their way to the Superbowl. It's not thier fault that the refs did what they did.

The Steelers could have won on their own, but their lack of admitting the travesty we all saw cheapens them as fans, and their continuing to deny the obvious will put people against them.

Congratulations! More than half have decided that winning three playoff game by crushing the best in the game and winning the SB is not enough to be named the SB champs. I have a suggestion next year. Don't bother to watch the game, since it means so little to you. The Steeler ARE the 2006 champs and no amount of whining is going to change it. You guys sound like 2001 Raider fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back