Welcome to PatsFans.com

Poll: Tea Party backers wealthier, educated

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

NYT poll: Tea partiers wealthier, more educated - The New York Times- msnbc.com

NEW YORK - Tea party supporters are wealthier and more well-educated than the general public, tend to be Republican, white, male, and married, and their strong opposition to the Obama administration is more rooted in political ideology than anxiety about their personal economic situation, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

The 18 percent of Americans who identify themselves as Tea Party supporters look like Republicans in many ways, but they hold more conservative views on a range of issues and tend to be older than Republicans generally. They are also more likely than Republicans as a whole to describe themselves as “very conservative” and President Obama as “very liberal.” .

In some ways, Tea Party supporters look like the general public. For instance, despite their allusions to Revolutionary War-era tax protesters, most describe the amount they paid in taxes this year as “fair.” Most send their children to public schools, do not think Sarah Palin is qualified to be president, and, despite their push for smaller government, think that Social Security and Medicare are worth the cost. They are actually more likely than the general public to have returned their census forms, despite some conservative leaders urging a boycott.

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,043 / 15 / -8

A bunch of overeducated ivory tower naive privileged limosine conservatives. Knew it. I can just see these bastahds sitting around purposefully misspelling signs...

:D

But seriously, folks: that's very interesting, from my point of view. It seems to gainsay a lot of the things we've come to expect from the teabaggers themselves. Their supporters, who we know are more likely to be racist than non-supporters, are also better-off than the general public, and - surprisingly - better educated, according to this poll.

There's also this:

This poll also focuses on 18 percent describing themselves as supporters, far fewer than the poll next door, which uses a Likert scale going from very supportive to very against. These seem to be self-identified supporters.

It's interesting that these supporters of teabaggers seem not to want a third party, and to be overwhelmingly Republican. They seem to like the fact that the teabaggers are angry and showing it... but as to their own taxes? Meh. It's fair.

It pretty much mirrors a lot of my everyday experience: the really hard-core conservative Republicans think the teabaggers are peachy. They're sympathetic. But they also think they're kinda funny - but in a good way. Bumblingly pulling the GOP to the right, back toward its base. The whole "cut every tax, dismantle affirmative action, overturn Roe v Wade, Guns n God n stuff" agenda.

But seriously, it is surprising that this 18% group is relatively affluent and well educated. It puts a whole new gloss on the chasm between the actual actors in this political drama, and the conservative establishment using it to purge the GOP of its moderate members.

PFnV

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  3. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes please!

4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,043 / 15 / -8

I agree. A narrow regional Republican party -- even better, complemented by an even harder-right third-party -- would be good for the country, electorally speaking.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

Liberals hate wealthy educated people (they can't control them)

Taught In Liberal Circles:
    If you don't like somebody, if somebody disagree's with your moonbattiness, label them RACISTS.

It ain't working this time..........

6. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, it would be good for the Left -- no one else.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think that was his point.

Anyways, I don't see any viable right-wing party-or left-wing one for that matter. The Republicrats (or Democans or whatever you want to call the corporate party in perpetual control of the US government) would not permit any outlyers to crash their gig. They stay in power by pretending to "embrace" these temporary movements, whether it be the Greens, Tea Party, feminists, minorities, gays, Darwinists, Creationists...you name it. But the minute anyone starts to organize and try to squeeze into the "debate", they are met with a big smackdown in the form of overwhelming force backed by cash and the co-opted media.

This is not about clarifying differences of opinion and coming to a consensus or some sort of compromise like normal people do in their normal everyday activities. This is all about furthering the imaginary divide that currently (supposedly) splits the People of America. The deeper the perceived chasm, the harder it is for us to act together and regain control of our country, our wealth, our rights, and our natural resources from Wall Street and their henchmen in the media and on 5th Ave. They will continue to rip us apart with the false message that they are good and deserving of the same rights and freedoms as individuals by using their courts and bastardizing our Constitution to work for them.

Tea Party will soon be joining the other hopefuls on the ash heap of beetch-slapped upstarts like the Reform Party and the Greens. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't...sorry to say.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

Your right, they probably will not last but at least they have pointed out to the American People that not all Americans are "Weeping Slobbering Fawners" for the Great One, President Jug Ears or that Tribe Of Closed Door Scumbags In Congress, they have publicly exercised their "Freedom" and made themselves heard just as many, many Left Wing Demonstrating Marchers have done before them.

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It seems to me that there is a lot of gloating (not so much in this thread, but certainly in others) on the left about the Tea Party moving the Republicans to the right, with the implied message that the further-right-leaning candidates will be easier to defeat in the general election because voters prefer moderates. I just don't understand that mentality... I guess it just reinforces how short their memory is because about 18 months ago an ultra-liberal Democrat ran and beat a moderate Republican in the Presidential election.

10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,043 / 15 / -8

Actually, I don't think Dean even ran, and frankly, he's only "far left" by American standards.

I know you're not talking about Obama... unless of course you're in fantasyland. Liberals - and not crazy wacky tofu eating ones, just run of the mill liberals - are already a bit annoyed that Obama is obsessed with compromise, despite the tendency of the disloyal opposition to not only vote as a bloc against the president, but even to vote in a bloc against their own positions, when Obama accepts them.

But that's the hallmark of the Right right now; they frame the debate in massively distorted terms, then refuse to compromise, and complain that the other guy's a commie.

Cold war's over guys. That's why you're looking at 18%.

As to the question of a yet more rightist republican party succeeding, as I say, I congratulate you and the GOP/Teabagger upper echelons on discovering this magic formula, and encourage you to embrace it full-bore in November.

Wistah's point about the corporatist actual political parties is well taken, but I think uses a broad brush to paint over the mechanics within the narrow spectrum the US permits.

To wit, parties and movements like the Teabaggers can be important. The Reform Party got the debt on the map. The Greens sort of came along after the fact in the US, but in Europe pushed environmentalism into a sort of 2.0 stage, rather than a side show of the left. The recent abhorrent Supreme Court ruling is in the offing as well. That scares me much more than the actual popular backing that the teabaggers enjoy.

Downloaded the Gallup app the other day. Very interesting to track stuff daily. You get these disconnects between things like consumer confidence and what people report about their own moods, as well as other things. More companies are hiring than laying off, employment is up, un/underemployment is down, and people think "things are getting worse." Just a general observation. Interesting.

As to Harry's observation that the left (today anyway) "hates" the wealthy because they can't control them, it's antithetical to his usual characterization of liberals as overeducated limo-owning plutocrats. Make up what passes for your mind, old boy :)

PFnV

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010