Poll Results: Rex #1 Coach To Play For

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Rex gets love from opponents - Jets Blog - ESPN New York

In the current issue of Sports Illustrated, there's a survery of NFL players, based on the following question: For which other coach would you like to play for?

The winner, in a landslide, is Rex Ryan of the New York Jets. A total of 279 players were polled from across the league, and Ryan received nearly one quarter of the votes. Here's the breakdown:

Ryan, 21%
Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers), 12%
Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints), 9%
Jeff Fisher (Tennessee Titans), 8%
Bill Belichick (New England Patriots), 7%

This was interesting...... He also doesn't run a boot camp; he tries to pace players through a season by allowing their bodies to rest. Not all coaches are like that. (See Belichick).

Personally, I thought that the assertion that BB doesn't rest his players was a little misguided. I believe that during the 07 season and other seasons, BB kept the heat on as not to lose momentum and also were still gunning for a particular seeding in the playoffs, but to say that he doesn't rest his players is unfounded.

This guy is a lifelong NYJ beat writer so his view is narrow...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Of course players want to play for him. He likes to have fun. He is a player's coach. And right now he is successful. It seems like a dream for a player.

The problem is that a lot of players can't handle playing for a guy like him (see Kerry Rhodes). And his style hasn't proven that it can win anything. Even at 9-2, the Jets seem to be underachieving squeaking out wins agains bad teams.

I gotta be honest in saying I was very surprised by the poll results. I wonder what effect, if any, spygate had on the results.

a poll by a new york writer. hmmmmm....where did he survey this poll, in the great ny area? just sayin.....

Of course players want to play for him. He likes to have fun. He is a player's coach. And right now he is successful. It seems like a dream for a player.

The problem is that a lot of players can't handle playing for a guy like him (see Kerry Rhodes). And his style hasn't proven that it can win anything. Even at 9-2, the Jets seem to be underachieving squeaking out wins agains bad teams.

Hey good teams do squeak out wins against bad team. Look at the record 9-2. Do you see that. You defensive sucks big time. Will not far into the playoffs.:eek:

Hey good teams do squeak out wins against bad team. Look at the record 9-2. Do you see that. You defensive sucks big time. Will not far into the playoffs.:eek:

Uhh, what?

Personally, I thought that the assertion that BB doesn't rest his players was a little misguided. I believe that during the 07 season and other seasons, BB kept the heat on as not to lose momentum and also were still gunning for a particular seeding in the playoffs, but to say that he doesn't rest his players is unfounded.
Yeah, that was obviously written by someone who hasn't actually followed Belichick. He will apply the gas - but he also will hit the break when needed. He's about winning not running his team into the ground.

As for the poll, Sexy Rexy is the flavor of the week, if they start losing the poll will change.

You cannot into English?

As for the poll, Sexy Rexy is the flavor of the week, if they start losing the poll will change.

If they start losing, his job will change. ;)

It's because Ryan has the best spread (after game food) put out. Only problem is getting some of it away from Rex!

Punched this into the dialectizer, with the "moron" option, and got this:

Hey good teams do skeak out wins against bad team. Look at de record 9-2. Duh.Do you see dat. Duh, you defensibe sucks big time. Will not far into de playoffs.

Not all that different. :D

I gotta be honest in saying I was very surprised by the poll results. I wonder what effect, if any, spygate had on the results.

Why would :spygate:-gate have any impact on the players? If anything it had more impact on the league and fans.

Pats players LOVED to play for Pete Carroll when he was here.

He also doesn't run a boot camp; he tries to pace players through a season by allowing their bodies to rest. Not all coaches are like that. (See Belichick).

Belichick just gave his team 4 days off.

Belichick just gave his team 4 days off.

From football, yes. But the military training goes on. It takes a lot of training to operate one of these.

death_star.jpg

From football, yes. But the military training goes on. It takes a lot of training to operate one of these.

death_star.jpg

Lets hope the Pats are more like "The Rebellion" :D...

I can't think of anything less valuable than being a coach "players want to play for." End of the day any player worth anything wants to win. Ryan's team is winning right now, so that's super. But this kind of poll is mostly driven by the "hey, he lets us eat cheeseburgers" on the field mentality Ryan has. We'll see how many Super Bowls he gets w/that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes