Welcome to PatsFans.com

Poll on French Muslims blasts popular cliches

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=25&story_id=33213

PARIS, Sept 19, 2006 (AFP) - A large majority of French Muslims support sexual equality, free choice in religion and the separation of church and state, flying in the face of some Western cliches on Islam, a new poll reveals.

Of the Muslims questioned, 91 percent said they supported male-female equality, while 69 percent would accept a Muslim woman marrying a non-Muslim, according to the CSA poll to be published Thursday by the Roman Catholic weekly La Vie.

Some 73 percent also said they agreed with the French separation of church and state -- an issue spotlighted two years ago by a contentious ban on religious signs including Muslim headscarves in state schools.

Fully 94 percent said they believed people were equal regardless of their religion, and 46 percent that it was acceptable for a Muslim to convert to Christianity -- against 45 percent who said the opposite.

For many of us, this poll is only a little surprising, but given the anti-Muslim rhetoric expressed by some, some might find the poll results rather shocking. AFP is the French press agency, and thus in France I believe as legitimate as CNN would be here, but I will say that I find it strange that the article does not say more about who conducted the poll.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Do really believe that?
    :bricks:
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

The numbers were higher than I would have guessed, but let's remember that most people don't give a damn about politics. Most people are more concerned with their paycheck, what's on tv, and what sales are going on at the mall. Also, let's remember that the French are much stricter than us with regard to the separation of church and state, so the Muslims who grew up in France are to some extent indoctrinated with that sort of liberalism.
  4. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I believe it. The extremists always shout very loudly and act as if they are representing a large percentage of whatever community they represent. I can well believe that so few Muslims go to Mosque in France. It certainly is true of the ones I know in the UK. It doesn't surprise me that French Muslims have adopted some of the scepticism that exists towards religion in general.
    It is worth bearing in mind that we have declining interest here in religion, unlike the US, where I understand that churches are full on a Sunday. When Blair made a reference to God, it went down extremely badly in this country. He has never repeated it since. When I see a US politician, they always make references to God. That plays really badly in most of Northern Europe. I think it is one of the biggest differences between us and you.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Don't look now Patters but you've just pointed out one of the reasons the Administration went into Iraq.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Also...if not for the fact that they fear for their life...the majority of Muslims would gladly rid themselves of the Muslim fanatics tomorrow.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well, its a poll covering people who left a Muslim country and decided to move to France, as well as their offspring. People don't leave a country to bring that country's way of life someplace else. They leave because they don't like how things are. I laugh at those who think Mexico is attempting to take over the Southwest by sending their people here. My mom left Ireland many years ago because she wanted a better life, not because she wanted to help Ireland take over the city of Boston, that just sort of happened.
  9. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Careful, Patters.
    You are shattering the evil image here that the Neo-Cons would love to have of people they never met.
    Hell, it is so much easier to look at things in purely black and white, good guys against bad guys; requires no research, no analogy, no thinking whatsoever.
    It is so much easier to hate them, while claiming that you are doing your best to help them.

Is it any wonder that you see so much resentment towards the higher educational institutions, coming from the right?
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Wait until Homeland Security gets her. Then she'll admit the truth. :)
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Let me begin by saying that anyone who thinks that every muslim is a terrorist is an idiot of monumental porportions. That being sad I think many in here on each side truly do miss the point about what we are trying to do in the fight versus radicals. I think the poll that was posted points out the differences between those who grow up under oppressive regimes, and those who grow up in free societies. Take that same poll and run it through Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, etc...and see what the results are. This isn't a fight of west versus muslim. Anyone who thinks that is an idiot. This is fight against radicals, and the oppresive regimes that fuel there hatred. I remember, right after 9/11, Blair and Bush always talking about poverty, oppression, hope, and freedom. It was not by accident. It was because they felt that freedom was the best weapon against radical fundamentalism. The poll from France is proof of that.