Welcome to PatsFans.com

Poll: Nearly half hearing too much about Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

I post this cuz I wonder if all the hype has caused him to "peak" prematurely. I think this kinda helps to reinforce the opinion that he's been the beneficiary, in relative terms, of more media pub than any candidate in our lifetime, and certainly more than John McLame.

Poll: Nearly half hearing too much about Obama

Wed Aug 6, 10:47 AM ET

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama may be the fresh face in this year's presidential election, but nearly half say they're already tired of hearing about him, a poll says.

With Election Day still three months away, 48 percent said they're hearing too much about the Democratic candidate, according to a poll released Wednesday by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center. Just 26 percent said the same about his Republican rival, John McCain.

Obama, the 47-year-old Illinois senator who would become the first black president, has dominated political news coverage much of the year. According to an ongoing Pew study, Obama has appeared in more news stories this year and more people say they have heard more about him than McCain, the longtime Arizona senator who also ran for president in 2000.

Two-thirds of Republicans and about half of independents said they've heard too much about Obama, as did a third of Democrats, a significant number. At the same time, nearly four in 10 said they've been hearing too little about McCain — about four times the number who said so about Obama. About half of Republicans, four in 10 independents and even a quarter of Democrats said they've not heard enough about the GOP candidate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080806/ap_on_el_pr/poll_obama_overexposure
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Wonder if this has anything to do with the monopoly on talk radio...i.e Rush, Savage, Hannity and the emerging Fox News.. they don't seem to talk about McCain all that much.
  3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Yeah I agree it goes both ways. I turn on Fox or Jay Severin and all I see/hear is Obama this, Obama that. Hannity did an hour long special the other night about how Obama was the devil blah blah blah. I think it also has to do with the fact that the Dem nomination process was so close and took so long. The media as a whole turns our political process into a soap opera, dumbing down the conversation and making everything about "gaffes" and "personality" etc. And McCain tried to use that to his advantage. Unfortunately to me, his criticism came off as towards the media, and not so much Obama himself.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,048 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Have I contributed anything to too much Obama discussion? :p

Seriously ... he is the new toy.
    Also ... I have a feeling that his choice for VP will be someone who will
    get just enough press converage (not you PC) without the over the top stuff
    that has hurt Obama as much as helped him.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Take a look at all the posts on this board, it is about 30-40% Obama stuff.. what he supposedly said, what he did not say, what his wife said, what Jeremiah said on and on and on...