Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who's more effective when a pass is thrown his way?

• Randy Moss even if he's double covered

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Tate or other "deep threat" single covered

Votes: 38 73.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg93

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
After the Moss trade, one of the main questions of posters on this board is how this would affect the other WR's because Randy isn't there anymore to open up the field for everyone else. Many patsfans and pundits have assumed that player's like Welker will now have a field that is less open because the new "deep threat" WR (Tate, or whoever else runs a deep route) will not be double covered anymore therefore allowing that extra safety to shadow other receivers.

If this turns out to be true, the question in my mind is who would be more effective on a ball thrown his way, Randy Moss with a CB and S covering him on every play or the new deep threat WR with only one CB on him. I can argue that out both ways but I thought I'd get opinions from you guys here too.

Like Brady in 2009, I'm wondering why this poll is ignoring the third option of the wide open guy underneath.

We're not throwing deep as often as we did in 2007, and that's okay. Part of the Moss deal was the final step in changing our offense back to ball control, high percentage short to mid-range passing attack like earlier in the decade.

For the hell of it though, the guy with one defender on him is going to catch more balls. Throwing into double coverage consistently, even to Moss, is just insane.

Like Brady in 2009, I'm wondering why this poll is ignoring the third option of the wide open guy underneath.

We're not throwing deep as often as we did in 2007, and that's okay. Part of the Moss deal was the final step in changing our offense back to ball control, high percentage short to mid-range passing attack like earlier in the decade.

And hopefully for the last time, I'll post that the 3rd option was a combo of Ben Watson, Joey Galloway or Sam Aiken. Even when single covered i in no way blame Brady for not wanting to throw to those guys all that much.

Give me the single covered burner any day of the week.

Randy has trouble beating single coverage against any decent corners, forget double coverage.

It is a myth that Moss was beating double coverage in 2010.

In 2007 he was beating double coverage.

In 2010 he was being shut down by single coverage.

Moss has lost more of a step than people are willing to admit. I'm willing to bet that THAT is why the Patriots were not going to offer him a contract, whether Belichick explained as much or not. When Moss showed up in excellent shape, Bill probably had second thoughts and tried to work something out.

To answer the question, Tate single covered is better odds than Moss double covered right now. Tate singled covered by Cromartie or Revis might even be better odds than Moss single covered by Cromartie or Revis just because he seems more inclined to fight for a pass.

Randy has trouble beating single coverage against any decent corners, forget double coverage.

this, Ive seen Brady throw his way with single coverage and Moss doesn't have enough separation. Other times he burns Revis to make a catch that only he could probably make.

Bill was asked how Moss void effects Welker at his presser today. His response is interesting as he says that since 2009 teams gradually seemed to be focusing specific coverages on us less and less so much as playing their coverages... Another indication that perhaps after the 2009 season ending breakdown/evaluation some general conclusions were reached regarding how we would approach 2010...and beyond.

Belichick on how Moss void affects Welker - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Tate or whoever else is in that position is unproven to this point. Randy has and will beat double coverage sometimes so really it has to be Randy Moss double covered for me.

This poll is nonsensically slanted. Of course a guy who is single covered is more likely to catch the ball. Is that even a debate? The third option missing is the uncovered guy who would of course again be even MORE likely to catch the ball. So in short the poll is meaningless.

The options should be the following:
-Randy Moss even if he's double covered
-Tate or other "deep threat" single covered
-Tate even if he's double covered
-Randy Moss or other "deep threat" single covered
-Any other wide receiver left uncovered
-Aaron Hernandez because he runs like Antonio Gates and catches like Ben Coates
-Gronkowski because the Gronk is awesome
-Did you forget Wes Welker?

Last edited:
This poll is nonsensically slanted. Of course a guy who is single covered is more likely to catch the ball. Is that even a debate? The third option missing is the uncovered guy who would of course again be even MORE likely to catch the ball. So in short the poll is meaningless.

The options should be the following:
-Randy Moss even if he's double covered
-Tate or other "deep threat" single covered
-Tate even if he's double covered
-Randy Moss or other "deep threat" single covered
-Any other wide receiver left uncovered
-Aaron Hernandez because he runs like Antonio Gates and catches like Ben Coates
-Gronkowski because the Gronk is awesome
-Did you forget Wes Welker?

You left out Woodhead. A Woodhead TD is extra special, beyond the normal aspect of us scoring it causes extra pain for Jets fans. Particularly if McKnot is inactive.

I knew I'd get some "this poll is ignoring the third option" type responses but I posted it anyway because I was pretty sure that more than half of you would say that they would prefer "deep threat" WR single covered vs. Moss double covered.

I posted this because so many here are screaming bloody murder about the trade because we supposedly lose that "deep threat double covered WR" which automatically means that every other receiver like Welker will be less effective.

While there are only 20 votes right now, more than 2/3rds of you believe that a WR like Tate who is single covered will be more effective than a Moss who is double covered. If that's the case, why do so many think that this is just a dink and dunk offense without Randy here and that the trade means the demise of the deep ball?

Last edited:
Bill was asked how Moss void effects Welker at his presser today. His response is interesting as he says that since 2009 teams gradually seemed to be focusing specific coverages on us less and less so much as playing their coverages... Another indication that perhaps after the 2009 season ending breakdown/evaluation some general conclusions were reached regarding how we would approach 2010...and beyond.

Belichick on how Moss void affects Welker - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

but BB lies

I knew I'd get some "this poll is ignoring the third option" type responses but I posted it anyway because I was pretty sure that more than half of you would say that they would prefer "deep threat" WR single covered vs. Moss double covered.

I posted this because so many here are screaming bloody murder about the trade because we supposedly lose that "deep threat double covered WR" which automatically means that every other receiver like Welker will be less effective.

While there are only 20 votes right now, more than 2/3rds of you believe that a WR like Tate who is single covered will be more effective than a Moss who is double covered. If that's the case, why do so many think that this is just a dink and dunk offense without Randy here and that the trade means the demise of the deep ball?

The poll is worded and presented to draw in "single coverage" votes but does nothing to answer the question of Moss' impact.

The poll is worded and presented to draw in "single coverage" votes but does nothing to answer the question of Moss' impact.

That could be the topic of another poll regarding whether that impact was increasingly fact or myth.

the completion r4ate to Randy was what 42%????? That is pathetic..... I will not miss him and the forced passes heading his way.:cool:

Looking at Moss's stats this year made the choice obvious. I thought he lost a step last year, and disappeared completely this year except for a couple plays.

Tate or whoever else is in that position is unproven to this point. Randy has and will beat double coverage sometimes so really it has to be Randy Moss double covered for me.

"sometimes" just doesn't cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye