Welcome to PatsFans.com

Poll: Majority Of GOP Believes Obama Sympathizes With Islamic Fundamentalism

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Hard to see this as anything other than bigotry on the part of Republicans. Given that there is no evidence Obama is a Muslim, to then make the leap that he sympathizes with fundamentalists is bizarre.

Poll: Majority Of GOP Believes Obama Sympathizes With Islamic Fundamentalism, Wants Worldwide Islamic Law

A majority of Republicans believe that President Barack Obama "sympathizes with the goals of Islamic fundamentalists who want to impose Islamic law around the world," according to a survey released on Monday.

That figure, buried at the very end of a newly released Newsweek public opinion poll, reflects the extent to which a shocking bit of smear and misinformation has managed to become nearly commonplace within the GOP tent.

A full 14 percent of Republicans said that it was "definitely true" that Obama sympathized with the fundamentalists and wanted to impose Islamic law across the globe. An additional 38 percent said that it was probably true -- bringing the total percentage of believers to 52 percent.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Re: Poll: Majority Of GOP Believes Obama Sympathizes With Islamic Fundamentalism, Wan

We;ll his dad was a Muslim according to Sharia he is a Muslim. BTW Rev Wright was a Muslim prior to buying into Liberation Theology.
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Re: Poll: Majority Of GOP Believes Obama Sympathizes With Islamic Fundamentalism, Wan

Bin Laden wants to ruin the country.

Obama is actually doing it.

Logical conclusion, ehhhh? :singing:

Even if you believe that, how is it remotely bigoted?
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This dovetails nicely with the percentage of gomers who think the Earth is 6000 years old and that Evolution, but not WMD's in Iraq, is a myth.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Glenn is proud of his little, loyal droogie...

Your decoder ring is in the mail, shh!!! Don't tell...

If you are constantly inundated with these messages, and let the mediots think for you then can understand how a person will believe this..
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

The responses from the righties here surprises me. I think we have to watch for something equivalent to the Reichstag fire from the white right before long. It's utterly irrational to make these kinds of accusations against Obama. I suppose if these kinds of accusations are okay, we can start wondering when a part of the white right is going to do their equivalent of the Reichstag fire and start noting the parallel paranoia of some white righties to the rise of Nazi-ism in Germany. I would not make these kinds of analogies, except that they seem no more extreme than the claims that Obama sympathizes with Muslim fundamentalists. That's absurd. Obama supports gay rights, a women's right to choose, restrictions in the use of the death penalty, and so on, making him vastly different than extremist Muslim fundamentalist nuts!
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Whats wrong with being a Muslim........:confused:
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +317 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Nothing - if that's what you are.
  9. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

BINGO!
    "not that there's anything wrong with that"
  10. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

If the shoe fits........................
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

My parents are/were catholic. The pope can call me Catholic all he wants -- it doesn't mean I am catholic.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

To the best of my knowledge the catholics do have a rule that you cannot leave the church, the muslims do. I say this as an ex catholic.
  14. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Hmm Liberation Theology the latest buzz words handed down to the Drones by neo-con higher archey
  15. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

I guess you don't get it -- they can make all the rules they want, but it doesn't matter.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +317 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

If you believe in Sharia law then the law counts. However, if you've heard the law and left the religion it probably shows that not only do you NOT believe the law but you don't believe in the religion itself, either.

Once you've left something - the laws of that something no longer apply to you.

BTW, Reverend Wright studied Islam - which is different than being Islamic.
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Here's the Newsweek Poll questions, and results.

http://nw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/1004-ftop.pdf

Unless I'm missing something, where are they breakdowns by political affiliation, or party? I see them for 2 questions only. How do they get to the GOP figure? Are they using the PEW results to get to that number?

Well, this is what Pew says:

Less than half of Democrats (46%) believe Obama is a Christian. Who's fault is that? Is it Obama's, and more importantly, does it even matter? I personally couldn't care less what religion someone is. I know many do, but to me, so long as your a decent person, and not bible bopping your faith to me, it's all good.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

If you were living say in Pakistan and became an apostate, a muslim could murder you and it wouldn't be a crime. You don't get that.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +317 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Which is why you and I and more than 700,000 people of Pakistani origin chose to live here and not there.

That's the part you don't get, 13.

People come here for a reason - and often that reason is to escape religious and/or political persecution in their homeland.

I'm sorry you no longer want us to offer that escape to anyone.

My ancestors would be saddened by your attitude.

Your's, too, probably. Unless, of course, you're an American Indian.
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

Actually, I do get that.

What I don't get is what that has to do with so many Americans' erroneous belief that Obama is a Muslim.