Welcome to PatsFans.com

Poll: Majority of Americans won't trust Petraeus report

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Aug 16, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

CNN... hopefully this is ok with Patriot's allotted acceptable news sources... i mean, his list seems to be dwindling as it suits him... soon, the only acceptable news source will be Weekly Standard...

Poll: Majority mistrustful of upcoming Iraq report

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/16/poll.iraq.report/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A majority of Americans don't trust the upcoming report by the Army's top commander in Iraq on the progress of the war and even if they did, it wouldn't change their mind, according to a new poll.

President Bush frequently has asked Congress -- and the American people -- to withhold judgment on his so-called troop surge in Iraq until Gen. David Petraeus, the commander in Iraq, and Ryan Crocker, U.S. ambassador to Iraq, issue their progress report in September.

But according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released Thursday, 53 percent of people polled said they suspect that the military assessment of the situation will try to make it sound better than it actually is. Forty-three percent said they do trust the report.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Too bad the politics of this issue is sp poisoned that many are unwilling to give a person like Paetraus a fair shot.

3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I absolutely CONGRATULATE you on the sourcing. Bravo....:rocker:

Funny thing about polls is, everyone interprets them differently and the way they ask questions EFFECTS how people answer them. GALLOP conducted a remarkable similar poll and came to different conclusions.

from EDITOR & PUBLISHER (an equally credible source).

Kinda weird how seperate polls (with similar numbers) actual come to different conclusions when it comes to results. Who knows who to trust, RIGHT. In fact, going to your link, they even seem to hedge a bit on what/who to trust.

If you read to para 4 & 5, it says.

Again, seriously....... I completely applaud your attempt to use a REAL NEWS source to make a point. It's a huge step up and I want you to know I appreciate it. Keep up the good work.

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

two completely different questions... not even remotely similar nor uncomparable... mine talks about trust of the report, underlining their skepticism of WH meddling, which will happen.... yours talks about their view of Petraeus himself...

5. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

CNN Poll: 53% do not trust Petraeus

GALLUP Poll: 47% have favorable view of Petraeus

53% + 47% = 100%

So what's the problem? :confused:

6. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

sniff, sniff........... smells like bull sh!t in here......

your splitting hairs press. Bottom line............ America is WAITING to hear what Petraeus and Crocker have to say. The WH will spin it, the opponants will spin it............ We just wanna hear what he has to say. We'll go from there.

7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

This administration has been very good at having someone by the short hairs ( thanks for everything Mr. Tenet, here's a Medal of Freedom). Petraeus was in charge of all firearms when 1/3 went missing, then undereported the amount. Thank you General, would you like to take command of the troops, oh, and I'll need a report in Sept. Yea, I trust all of them.

8. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

He also wrote the "current" book on counter insurgency. Btw, do YOU know anything about the military, or are you speaking out of you azz?

It's a fair question.

psssst, quoting Mikey for ANYTHING makes you loo stupid. Just saying :)

9. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

To be fair, there are many people, me among them, who are so sick of this war, the false pretenses for starting it, and the constant lies and "misassessments" since then, that no amount of politically vetted government reporting is going to make me feel any more encouraged. So yeah, around half of Americans have completely lost hope of seeing the "good" ending to this war, the poll's not surprising.

10. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Yeah but we only have two real choices left:

1) win it, or at least keep the peace long enough for the ethnic differences to get sorted.
    2) pull back protect the KURDS, and let the barbarians slaughter each other on a scale we've not seen since 1600 AD.

I'm actually cool with either, since it will pull some political parties in that are trying to stay neutral. I.E. Sunni Syria and Saudi, vs. Shia Iran. Fukc em right it's only a few hundred thousand. - to a mil.

Bottom line............... If the while Iraq sh!t doesn't work out for us, NO BIGGIE, it's just OP (other people) that will suffer, not us.

LIKE I SAID............ I'd like to save Iraq, but if they decide to all destroy each other........... I'm willing to look at other alternatives.

All I ask is that you get a clue as to what the ramifications are.......

11. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Give em a deadline, and get out. We'll forever be responsible for the deaths we caused, and nothing can change that now, but we're not able to help the situation. They're going to have to hate each other without us. The only thing I can offer the Iraqi people as an olive branch is to put our President on trial for war crimes, and even that might not placate them. Sure would make me me feel better, though!

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

translation: "i have nothing again... you're right... one is about the man, the other about the report... i'm a pompous ass for trying to gray the lines, but i'll never admit it"

13. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Actually, Mikey's post was a stab at humor, and I got it. Do you always try to be confrontational or is it a bad habit from replying to PressCoverage? My post is logical. As I mentioned, this administration has put the squeeze on many people, probably the biggest being George Tenet. General Petraeus may have wrote the current book on counter insurgency, but he fukced up big time with losing 1/3 of the firearms. I listened to General Clark discuss the matter and Gen. Clark was not impressed. Now, you can diss Gen. Clark if that's you piece of cake, but there is not getting around that Bush and company has this guy by the short hairs. Capeesh.

14. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

My apologies, it's probably just from responding to Fraud Coverage :D

I agree with what ever it is your saying ;)

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Yeah i've always worried about how many weapons Ike lost during WW2 :rolleyes:

16. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Does that mean your comparing Petraeus to Ike?

17. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Furthermore, why don't you enlighten us to how many weapons Ike lost. Maybe we can generate a comparison of tje WWII time capsule and geography vs Iraq.

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Actually I think Patraeus may end up looking more like Patton or Guiderian in terms of his innovative tactics.

19. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

So now are you saying Patton lost tanks?

20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

No I'm saying 2 thing, Stuff is lost in wars, in large quantities, this war is no different.

Guderian and Patton were innovative tacticians who defined warfare in the 20th century. Patraeus may do the same for counterinsurgency tatics in the 21 century.