PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Is Gronk already at Tony Gonzalez level?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Gronkowski in the best ever TE conversation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk, at minimum, is the Gayle Sayers of TE's.

Who was a Hall of Famer.

'Nuff said.
..which is why it is premature to compare Gronk to him.

Gronk to me is a hyper-athletic version of Mark Bavaro in the sense that he is the best at his position in the league in both requirements of playing it. Gonzales was a great receiver but he played the game like a basketball player, not a football player. I think Jimmy Graham is a more apt comparison to Gonzales but I totally get where you're going.

If Gronk can have longevity he will be to tight end what LT was to outside linebacker.

Gronk, at minimum, is the Gayle Sayers of TE's.

Who was a Hall of Famer.

'Nuff said.

I was actually thinking along the lines of Terrell Davis, but that works.

OP rattled off these numbers:

Gonzalez: 1325 for 15,127yds (11.4) 111 TD's
Gronk: 275 for 3,918yds (14.2) 50 TD's

But forgot this one:
Gonzalez: 270 games played
Gronk: 59 games played

Break it down and you get:
Gonzalez: 4.9 catches/gm 56 yds/gm .41 TD/gm
Gronk: 4.6 catches/gm 66.4 yds/gm .84 TD/gm

Gronk will never reach Gonzalez number of catches and probably not yards either, but at this rate it will only take him 74 more games to break the TE touch down record. You could also EASILY argue that Gronk has spent maybe 10 of his 59 games playing well below even 75% due to recovering from serious injuries and actually lowering his already ridiculous TD/gm played ratio. If he strings together say 4 consecutive healthy seasons after this year he should break the record in under 60 games.

I don't care that it's only been a small sample size, Gronkowski is the best TE I have ever seen.

Agree 100%.

Based on the eyeball test I have never seen a better true TE play the game.

The only downside is that his play style may be his own worst enemy for career longevity. He should shatter the TD record in the next 4-5 seasons but I feel he'll fall short on other categories, not that it matters.

He is the most impactful non-QB offensive player in todays NFL and has been, when fully, or close to fully healthy, since 2011. That includes Graham, Murray, AP, Megatron, Dez Bryant, McCoy etc.

I've been watching pro football since the days when everyone believed the earth was flat, and Gronk is the best TE I've ever seen. No one else is close. Just my take.

If you want to say to that he needs the longevity to go with the productivity before being crowned the best ever, that would be an apt thought. Regardless, no one has started their career better or in a more dominant fashion than Gronk.

Compare his start so far to anyone else's and it's not even close. Gronk in a landslide. In terms of sheer talent and playing ability, Rob Gronkowski is the greatest TE to ever step on a football field.

If Gonzalez wants to come out of retirement for a Superbowl run I wouldn't say no, even if it might be to some of Wright's expense.

How about Gonzalez AND Gronk on the field together for the second half of the season?

When assessing greatest careers I put high value on longevity, and so Gronk wouldn't be at the top at all.

But in terms of how good he is, there's no contest. Peak Gronk (who hasn't actually showed up yet this season) is both one of the best receivers of any kind ever (that part has showed up) and an outstanding blocker (that part hasn't).

And by the way -- was Gonzalez ever as good a blocker as even this year's Gronk? :)

Gronk's a more talented player than Gonzalez, which is saying a lot because Gonzalez is the greatest tight end to ever play the game.

However, Gonzalez was indestructible and was still a top-5 tight end in the league at the age of 38. Given Gronk's total inability to stay healthy (it's more than just bad breaks), a lot remains to be said about this question.

And by the way -- was Gonzalez ever as good a blocker as even this year's Gronk? :)

Yes.

If you are talking pure talent and impact on the game GRONK is by far the best TE ever as no one else has ever been the redzone threat he is. That said I voted not yet because 5 years is not a long enough career to be crowned the GOAT. You need to break at least 2 of Tony G's records to take that from him though if he shattered the TD one by a large enough margin I might still give it to him. Either way GRONK needs another 5-7 seasons of his current high production to enter the conversation of GOAT TE IMO.

Gronk is ten times the receiver that Bavaro was

Bavaro didn't have a great QB throwing him the ball and was always injured. Belichick says he should be in the HOF. Injuries really derailed him.

Francis.jpg

ben%2Bcoates0001.jpg

gronk-1.jpg

Call out the National Guard...Joe Kerr just CRUSHED horseface Sharpe and his fake azzed TE career.

Gonzalez was a bit of a trend setter because he was so much more of a part of a team's passing offense than other tight ends had been previously. Gronk has done pretty much the same thing for the position thus far.

I'm hesitant to compare stats because even in such a short period of time, the game - specifically the passing game - has changed quite a bit. So instead let's compare to their peers. Keep in mind that Gronk has played four seasons, this is his fifth year in the NFL.

In his first four seasons Gonzalez made two Pro Bowls and was twice an All Pro. Twice he was a league leader in TD receptions (6th twice), and once he was 10th in receptions.

In his first four seasons Gronk made two Pro Bowls and was once an All Pro. He has been in the top ten in TD receptions three times (7th, 1st, 4th) and ranks 4th this season. He has been a leader in receptions once (5th), and he was also a leader in receiving yards once (6th).

Over his entire career Gonzalez ranked among the NFL's top ten in receptions five times, in receiving yards once, and receiving touchdowns for times. It is not unreasonable to think that Gronk will blow those rankings away by the time his career is over.

In spite of the amount of time Gronk missed in 2012 and 2013, I would say that Gronk is about equal if not slightly ahead of Gonzalez as a pass catcher at the same point in their careers - and he is a much better blocker in the running game. On the other hand, it is extremely unlikely that any highly productive tight end will again play as long as Gonzalez did - and that's before one even considers Gronk's health and injury history. It is doubtful that he will match Gonzalez' being named a First Team All Pro six times, and Gonzalez' being named to 14 Pro Bowls is a number that is out of reach.

Other TEs have been comparable to Gronk in YAC-by-virtue-of-being-strong, separation-by-virtue-of-being-big, blocking (relative to the block rule and prevailing player size of their eras), etc.

But I'm not aware of those guys having hands as good as his.

I did find a 1-handed catch by Bavaro on a highlight film, but I don't think he could lay out for catches in the WR-ish way Gronk can.

healthy gronk is the best

healthy gronk is one of the best offensive weapons ever

It is doubtful that he will match Gonzalez' being named a First Team All Pro six times, and Gonzalez' being named to 14 Pro Bowls is a number that is out of reach.

Gronk will earn all-pro honors every season he is healthy. He'll earn his second this year. He needs 4 more healthy seasons to match. That's certainly not unthinkable. I'm not sure he'll play 14 seasons though, that's pretty tough for any player, especially one who takes Gronk's beating.

As of week 9, he's ranked:

1st in TE receptions
1st in TE receiving yards
3rd in TE touch downs (he's also the only one of the top 3 gaining momentum, other 2 have fallen off)
1st in TE 20+ yard receptions
1st in TE 1st downs
1st in TE yards/gm

I don't know if Gronk catches Gonzalez, because of health reasons, but skills yea he's by far the best TE on the planet.

I cringe when people try to argue Jimmy Graham, almost the same way when the Brady- Manning argument comes up. No...just no..

Hate to be a contrarian, but do not really care who is better or who is worse, these are talk radio discussions.

All I care about is winning, and maintaining the standard we have grown used to over the past 14 years..

Gronk is a rare athlete who we all enjoy watching.. no discussion of another wasted 2nd round draft pick..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back