PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: If Pats were to go FA WR route, who's most realisitic?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Most likely FA receiver Pats could land?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After the way Amendola played the last part of the year, do you think we still might move on from him?

Two ways to look at Amendola -
1) Time it took him to emerge = sunk cost, now we might be at the spot where he's ready, or
2) Only got with the program when the sword of damocles started to hover over him

I think you need more interaction with him to know how to call it - as in, you have to be on the practice field evaluating him for hours at a time.

Either way, I don't think he's back unless his contract acknowledges the time prior to his late-season surge. We have to pay him something between value as demonstrated late season, and (possible) assumed re-disappearance.

Amendola had a nice playoffs but he was nonexistent this year and last as well. You can't go into the season counting on him to be your Number 3 WR. Same thing with Dobson, in a perfect world they are number 4 and 5 on the depth chart after Edleman,Lafell, and the WR you bring in.

My god where would we be without Lafell lol

Amendola had a nice playoffs but he was nonexistent this year and last as well. You can't go into the season counting on him to be your Number 3 WR. Same thing with Dobson, in a perfect world they are number 4 and 5 on the depth chart after Edleman,Lafell, and the WR you bring in.
What you said they "can't" do is exactly what they did a year ago. Of course it's always better to get good players that push other players down the depth chart, but they showed that they can win the Super Bowl with Amendola as the #3 and essentially no contributions from Dobson.

Perhaps this list of 31 might provide ideas. Brady6 posted this in another thread,

31. keep Amendola
What # do you think Amendola would be on this list?
1. Dez Bryant
2. Demaryius Thomas
3. Randall Cobb
4. Jeremy Maclin
5. Torrey Smith
6. Michael Crabtree
7. Kenny Britt
8. Cecil Shorts
9. Eddie Royal
10. Nate Washington
11. Wes Welker
12. Hakeem Nicks
13. Reggie Wayne
14. Denarius Moore
15. Leonard Hankerson
16. Dwayne Harris
17. Vincent Brown
18. Miles Austin
19. Jerrel Jernigan
20. Brandon Lloyd
21. Brad Smith
22. Santana Moss
23. Jason Avant
24. Marcus Easley
25. Derek Hagan
26. Robert Meachem
27. Greg Salas
28. Dane Sanzenbacher
29. Kevin Ogletree
30. Darrius Heyward-Bey
He is around 10 on that list.

Dez, DT, Maclin, Cobb will all be re-signed for sure. I would be suprised if Torrey Smith and Royal don't resign so from that list that leaves Crabtree

Agree, it makes no sense to go after the top free agents in their prime looking for a pay day. The more realistic option is that we get the veteran, salary cap casualty that is looking for a title opportunity.

What you said they "can't" do is exactly what they did a year ago. Of course it's always better to get good players that push other players down the depth chart, but they showed that they can win the Super Bowl with Amendola as the #3 and essentially no contributions from Dobson.

Yeah, that's an odd complaint, especially when Amendola's contributions elevated (is "surged" appropriate?) along with his health as the year went along.

The guy is certainly worth a decent $2mm contract to come back as a #3 and Edelman's backup. The only real question is if thinks he's worth more than that.

Yeah, that's an odd complaint, especially when Amendola's contributions elevated (is "surged" appropriate?) along with his health as the year went along.

The guy is certainly worth a decent $2mm contract to come back as a #3 and Edelman's backup. The only real question is if thinks he's worth more than that.
It wasn't a surge at all, it was completely consistent with Amendola's entire career. He had a big game against the Ravens came back the next game and had 1 catch for 8 yards, then had a good game in the SB. Look at his game log through his career that is what he does, he can have 2-4 really good games in a season and then he is pedestrian in the others.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/11674/danny-amendola

I'll toss a ringer at you. I like Adrian Peterson to beef up the receivers, by making the run game fearsome...

I'll toss a ringer at you. I like Adrian Peterson to beef up the receivers, by making the run game fearsome...
Adrian Peterson would have to leave the Vikings first

Also Adrian Peterson = elf facepalm. I don't know why, I guess I was sick of Picard facepalms.

Jesus, why not bring back Hernandez?

Maclin. IMO.

The kid is a speed demon deep threat. He is 27 for the 2015 season.

Why don't we try a Hakeem Nicks reclamation project?

1 year deal, won't sign for much due to a very poor season last year. Could probably even cut him if he doesn't look too good.

Why not?

The player with the most value for the money in the free agent market, should he get there, will probably be Amendola.

Why don't we try a Hakeem Nicks reclamation project?

1 year deal, won't sign for much due to a very poor season last year. Could probably even cut him if he doesn't look too good.

Why not?
I agree the guy was a deep threat with the giants but was never used like that with the colts because all there deep balls go to T.Y his worth a look and at 27 like you said he is still young a nuff to take a one year deal have a nice year and then go get paid by some other team

I can see D.Thomas re-signing now since P.Manning said he's ready to come back another year. As for Amendola, he did his part. He came through when it counted. Huge first downs and TDs in playoffs is what it's all about. Brady and Josh showed confidence in him.

Andre Johnson has a 16m cap hit. What are the odds he gets cut? They could keep him since they don't have to overpay for a QB at the moment. It would be sweet if he came here at a low salary for a chance at the super bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes