Best QB in this draft in your opinion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyBranch39

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just curious what people think as of today. I think Ponder looks most like an NFL QB, but much is still yet to be decided here.

Just curious what people think as of today. I think Ponder looks most like an NFL QB, but much is still yet to be decided here.

That's a pretty shocking thing to say.

I agree, 100%.

Gabbert
Newton
Locker
Mallett

All ranked ahead of him.

I wouldn't draft ANY of that lot...not until Round 6, anyway.

The likes of Ponder, Devlin, McElRoy...I'd draft any of them TEN times before those Salary Cap ENGULFING Fiends, they of great physical skills and VERY light QuarterBacking skills.

I went with with McElroy, because while he may not be the most talented QB in the draft, he is by far the best fit for the Pats. He doesn't have a big arm, but he is the most pro ready QB. He already has a great drop, mechanics and progressions and is a great fit character wise. A great option as a backup QB.

I went with with McElroy, because while he may not be the most talented QB in the draft, he is by far the best fit for the Pats. He doesn't have a big arm, but he is the most pro ready QB. He already has a great drop, mechanics and progressions and is a great fit character wise. A great option as a backup QB.

Well chosen, sir.

He's been in every one of my first 100 Mocks, and may very well be in the rest'f'm. :D

for this team? Newton... why?

because it will take at least what? 5 years for him to become a good qb... but he is a great athlete... i am just using the mike vick mould of instead of sit for a year or 2 sit for a year or 4.

Little silly i know but i don't mind the kid's skills

I'd be terrified to take any of the top 4 guys. None seem anywhere close to a sure thing, and all have that boom-or-bust vibe to them. One of them may develop into a franchise QB, but no clue which one. Unless there's great value in picking one because they drop, I'm staying away from all of them.

And I'm on board with McElroy too. He seems like more of a sure thing, even if that sure thing doesn't have the ceiling of the top 4 guys.

Newton reminds me a lot of Jamarcus Russel in personality and in stature.

Agreed 100%. He makes very good decision on the field too. A below average arm (which I think he has) is much easier to improve, than composure and decision making. To a large extent you either have those last two things built in or you will never have them.

Mcelroy's pocket awareness and grace under pressure make him a great fit in Foxboro.

PS-I pray to the football gods that Buffalo and Miami take Locker and Mallet. Those guys are going to bust spectacularly.

Last edited:
I like Dalton, Stanzi, and McElroy as practical picks, perhaps from the 4th or 5th round on. I’m slightly intrigued by Locker (not Dane) if he falls far enough. He obviously has issues which might be pretty simple to correct (or not), if you could fix his pocket and accuracy issues he’d be a fine heir to Brady or magnificent trade bait.

Last edited:
Voted for Gabbert but I like Dalton and Kaepernick with Dalton a close second. I saw Gabbert in his bowl game and he looked like Brady in the pocket. Dalton showed a quick release, strong arm and had good pocket presence. Kaeper whatever, big strong raw, good 3rd stringer for the Pats to develop.

If I had to take a QB I would take---no one in the first round. But the first QB I would take would be Mallet in the 2nd round. He's like Kerry Collins but with a stronger arm and quicker release. Immobile, but he can sling it. Kinda like a Bledsoe back there.

He'll be the best of the bunch but only if he goes to a team that can protect him.

I think Gabbert has problems with pressure.

I really think Mallet will be really good.

Have people forgotten that Locker, one year ago, was the best prospect since like, ever. The most sure can't miss since Manning. I still like him, and believe he will be very good at the next level.

how can you say he looks most like an NFL QB when everyone says he doesnt have the arm. when it comes to looking like a QB, its the strength and accuracy

no, I do not mean for this team. I thought that was clear. I mean which one will be the best, everything aside?

and no, not from a value standpoint.

Watching video of Ponder was a more satisfying experience for me than any of the others I've watched... with Gabbert 2nd.

tangental edit: taking Locker, Mallett or Newton (agree with the Jamarcus comp quite a bit) in the 1st round would scare the #*$% out of me if I was, say, Miami.

Last edited:
Write it down... Stanzi will be the best QB from the 2011 Draft when it is all said and done. He reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers while McElroy looks to me as a career back up.

I think Gabbert is the best QB right now. However if someone takes him and he plays from day one, then he might be ruined and be nothing more than a journey man.

Kaepennick has incredible RPM's of all the QBs on his throws, but he winds up like a pitcher. Maybe he was a pitcher in high school. If he was a pitcher I bet he could hit 90 plus MPH with that long wind up and full torque delivery.

If you were to ask who the best Patriots type QB is, then I have to go with Dalton and his ability to pick apart defenses, not only with the pas but also his running the zone read.

Kaepennick has incredible RPM's of all the QBs on his throws, but he winds up like a pitcher. Maybe he was a pitcher in high school. If he was a pitcher I bet he could hit 90 plus MPH with that long wind up and full torque delivery.
just read this on wiki earlier this week:
He earned Northern California athlete of the week honors as a pitcher. He was reported to throw a 94 MPH fastball as a senior in HS as reported on ABC by commentator Dan Fouts during his first football action vs. the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

I've seen a few of Ponder's games this year as well as some highlight crap (hardly enough for a opinion, but what the hell I'm giving it anyway). He has all the physical tools you could want in an NFL QB. Serious arm. Great Mobility. Good presence. Leader. However he does make some iffy decisions. I think with the right QB coach at the next level he will be very, very good. If he doesn't get into the right system he will be mediocre, although I suppose that could be said of almost all the QB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots