Solder – Connolly – Wendell – Cannon – Vollmer
Solder – Vollmer – Connolly – Kline – Cannon
Solder – Kline – Connolly – Cannon – Vollmer
Solder – Vollmer – Connolly – Devey – Cannon
Solder – Cannon – Connolly – Devey – Vollmer
Solder – Cannon – Stork – Connolly – Vollmer
Solder – Vollmer – Stork – Connolly – Cannon
Solder – Cannon– Connolly– Fleming– Vollmer

Have to go with Solder Cannon Connolly Fleming Vollmer. Other than Connolly who is solid at center this whole Online has prototype skill set. By playoff time could be dominant. James Carpenter latest power tackle standing out at guard. How could anybody want Wendy at center and push connolly to guard, a position he struggled at last year. Wendell connolly was horrible how could anybody want them to start again. Cannon Fleming are big/ very stout and athletic for the guard position. Fleming has very similar size and talent to Carpenter/Yanda/Osemele/Nicks who all played tackle in college and moved to guard. Who doesn't wanna run with a pair of 330 lb athletic guards and a 310 lb center in connolly or stork. Devey,Kline/Wendell are not even talented as many back ups in the NFL. Nobody elsebwanted Devey or Kline and here they are going to protect Brady along with Wendell. Why not get the biggest most talented guys up to speed for a Superbowl run. And start guys where they are best. Fleming is a guard like others similar to his size/talent. Makes no sense to take a guard with pro bowl upside and groom him at tackle where he will struggle while weak links who don't belong in the NFL are starting. Superbowl is the goal, right

Are we discussing Game One or this season?

If we're discussing Game 1, then I prefer Solder - Kline - Connolly - Cannon - Vollmer;
if we're discussing Game 16, then I hope it's Solder - Cannon - Stork/Connolly - Fleming - Vollmer.

I agree with Tedy Bruschi that it would be a mistake moving Vollmer from RT to LG.

I'd start Kline at LG v Miami because of his experience at the position relative to everyone else,
and because of the lateness of the Mankins trade, nobody else has had the opportunities to take
meaningful snaps at LG. Might as well play Kline there until he fails, eventually.

Connolly ahead of Wendy at Center: case closed.

I'm not comfortable - and maybe Brady shouldn't be either - seeing Cannon at RT. I don't feel that
he has the lateral agility to contain even just decent LDEs, but I do feel that he has the phone-booth agility plus the power to contain most DTs.

If - or should I say IF - Solder & Vollmer remain healthy, then Fleming might not see the field at all
this season or next season either. Similar to Cannon, I don't trust his lateral agility on the edge but
feel that his weakness there can be minimized by moving inside.

And if Stork is who the FO thinks he is, then perhaps his development follows Dan Koppen's:
a late-season starter because of injury or because Connolly replaces one of the Guards.

Gotta go initially with Solder – Cannon – Wendell – Connolly – Vollmer, but that will probably change as the season progresses...

I can see no value in putting a tall all pro right tackle in a position that is usually played by shorter folks... Wendell has the experience, but over time Stork may move in..

If we're discussing Game 1, then I prefer Solder - Kline - Connolly - Cannon - Vollmer;
if we're discussing Game 16, then I hope it's Solder - Cannon - Stork/Connolly - Fleming - Vollmer.

I agree with Tedy Bruschi that it would be a mistake moving Vollmer from RT to LG.

I'd start Kline at LG v Miami because of his experience at the position relative to everyone else,
and because of the lateness of the Mankins trade, nobody else has had the opportunities to take
meaningful snaps at LG. Might as well play Kline there until he fails, eventually.

Connolly ahead of Wendy at Center: case closed.

I'm not comfortable - and maybe Brady shouldn't be either - seeing Cannon at RT. I don't feel that
he has the lateral agility to contain even just decent LDEs, but I do feel that he has the phone-booth agility plus the power to contain most DTs.

If - or should I say IF - Solder & Vollmer remain healthy, then Fleming might not see the field at all
this season or next season either. Similar to Cannon, I don't trust his lateral agility on the edge but
feel that his weakness there can be minimized by moving inside.

And if Stork is who the FO thinks he is, then perhaps his development follows Dan Koppen's:
a late-season starter because of injury or because Connolly replaces one of the Guards.

Wow. First time I've ever agreed with you Stone but I think you nailed it for the most part as long as the rooks step up.

However, I think BB sees Cannon as a T long-term, which is a good thing due to the injury concerns for both Solder and Vollmer. So by week 16 I keep Kline at LG and rotate Cannon with the bookends.

I think the captain is on to something. I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable with Cannon at guard in Game 1, but I wouldn't feel comfortable at all with Wendell at center next to an equally undersized Kline against that big Miami DL. If I were a betting man (oh, wait I am - what's the line on this?), I'd predict:

Solder-Kline-Wendell-Connolly-Vollmer (god I hate that - this is why I don't bet the Pats)

My preferred week 1 line:
Solder-Kline-Connolly-Cannon-Vollmer

My hoped-for week 16 line:
Solder-Connolly-Stork-Cannon/Fleming-Vollmer

I think that gives us the correct combination of size, agility, speed to get to the second level on screen passes, and power. People say that Cannon can't play guard because his lateral quickness is lacking but, if that's the case, how the hell can he play tackle? Of course, the weak link on that OL would still be Connolly but Stork has more core strength than Wendell so hopefully playing next to him would help Connolly.

I think that gives us the correct combination of size, agility, speed to get to the second level on screen passes, and power. People say that Cannon can't play guard because his lateral quickness is lacking but, if that's the case, how the hell can he play tackle? Of course, the weak link on that OL would still be Connolly but Stork has more core strength than Wendell so hopefully playing next to him would help Connolly.

That was the combo I voted for as well. If Cannon can't handle LG, then he could either flip to RT with Vollmer going to LG, or flip to RG with Connolly going to LG; but I would try that combo first.

If any one of those combos worked, then my goal for 2015 would be to add one more player to take Connolly's spot, and make Connolly (who is in a contract year) and 3-position backup.

That was the combo I voted for as well. If Cannon can't handle LG, then he could either flip to RT with Vollmer going to LG, or flip to RG with Connolly going to LG; but I would try that combo first.

If any one of those combos worked, then my goal for 2015 would be to add one more player to take Connolly's spot, and make Connolly (who is in a contract year) and 3-position backup.

I see no issue with this.

I voted for what I'd like to see Game 1:

Solder - Kline - Connolly - Cannon - Vollmer

By Game 16, it would be great to see Stork there at center, but I have no idea how this is actually going to shake out.

I see no issue with this.

I am also intrigued by Cameron Fleming, not so much for this year but for the long term. Is he a RT only, or does he have the capacity to be a starting RG? Anyone who can play a position at a starting level is extremely interesting to me, as it increases the options for finding depth.

There are a couple of guys who I am very intrigued in down the road for depth at the swing tackle position. Brennan Williams, cut by Houston because of injuries, is one. The Pats reportedly had a very high grade on him. A number of teams are reportedly keeping a close eye on Williams' recovery progress, as previously posted by Manx. The other is Reid Fragel, the Ohio St. tackle (converted TE) with very good size and athleticism, who is currently on the Indianapolis practice squad. I'm also interested in whether Jordan Devey can be a solid tackle/guard backup. Any of those would potentially provide valuable depth which would facilitate more creative use of guys with starting capability.

I am also intrigued by Cameron Fleming, not so much for this year but for the long term. Is he a RT only, or does he have the capacity to be a starting RG? Anyone who can play a position at a starting level is extremely interesting to me, as it increases the options for finding depth.

I actually view Fleming in the same way I've always viewed Cannon. He's a tackle that can play there but, IMO, would work better for us at RG. I said as much when we drafted him. But he's still a project at this point. We'll know either by the end of this season or by next season what level he can contribute on.

The other is Reid Fragel, the Ohio St. tackle (converted TE) with very good size and athleticism, who is currently on the Indianapolis practice squad.

Fragel is an interesting prospect. If he ever landed on the Pats, I would like to see him add another 7-10 pounds to his frame, though.

I actually view Fleming in the same way I've always viewed Cannon. He's a tackle that can play there but, IMO, would work better for us at RG. I said as much when we drafted him. But he's still a project at this point. We'll know either by the end of this season or by next season what level he can contribute on.

Again, I'm thinking for the long term. But if the Pats wanted a bigger, more physical OL then a 2015+ combo of Solder-Cannon-Stork-Fleming-Vollmer would do the trick. Alternately, they could add a starting caliber interior lineman through the draft and leave Fleming as a backup tackle. Something like Solder-Josue Matias/Spencer Drango-Stork-Cannon-Vollmer, for example. More options is good.

I agree, in fact even more so with Fleming being better suited for guard, I am sure he could play RT in the NFL but I think his lateral quickness would prevent him from becoming a full time starter. As a RG I think he has a chance to be a top tier starter in the future.

I would start Solder, Kline, Wendell, Connolly, and Vollmer for Game One.

This has the strange advantage of starting players at positions that they have been playing.

I would NOT make two changes in the starting offensive line, and then expect to rotate Cannon to OT when Solder or Vollmer needed a rest.

Given the weather, Cannon will have lots of reps in backing up Solder and Vollmer at OT. Devey would be the 7th OL, being able to backup anywhere but center.

This has the strange advantage of starting players at positions that they have been playing.

I would NOT make two changes in the starting offensive line, and then expect to rotate Cannon to OT when Solder or Vollmer needed a rest.

Given the weather, Cannon will have lots of reps in backing up Solder and Vollmer at OT. Devey would be the 7th OL, being able to backup anywhere but center.
The team has been practicing for weeks behind closed doors so we do not really know how they have been aligning. I think it is important to make the changes now if you plan to make them, you do not want to be converting players to new positions in the second half of the season.

So let me see if I understand this: you would start 2 relatively weak players (Kline and Wendell) week 1 because they've been playing in preseason games ...

And then you would start them week 2 because they played week 1, and why introduce new pieces into the picture ...

And then ...

Last edited:
Most on this board would have cut Kline and Wendell. Belichick disagreed.

I did NOT say that we should start anyone based on preseason play, other than noting that Cannon was not likely to be a starting OG because I thought that he would have gotten more reps at OG if he were starting.

Let's be VERY clear, since I understand that you disagree.

1) I do NOT think that Stork, Fleming or Devey is ready to start. Perhaps the decision was close between Devey and Kline, probably not.

2) One issue for me is whether I think Connolly-Cannon is a better combination than Wendell-Connolly. I don't believe so.

3) I understand that there is possibility of Vollmer starting at LG over Kline. I am NOT strongly opposed, although personally I just don't see Vollmer as a LG.

So let me see if I understand this: you would start 2 relatively weak players (Kline and Wendell) week 1 because they've been playing in preseason games ...

And then you would start them week 2 because they played week 1, and why introduce new pieces into the picture ...

And then ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back