Welcome to PatsFans.com

Political Reign - looking for Beta testers...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Jan 26, 2009.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So I've been hard at work at an idea I have had for some time now, I call it Political Reign.

Basically, it is like a card game, but instead of playing against one or two people, you are competing with everyone in the game.

Let me tell you a little about it, and I am far from finished just the game engine is complete, the supporting content on the site is far from done.

When you sign up you have to select one of 5 industries from Oil & Energy, Defense contracting, Banking, Agriculture, and Social Services. Each industry with their own advantages and disadvantages.

Each round you get 3 cards ( you start with 7 ) each round is a day. You use these cards to put resources into play to make money, you use money to play better cards that can pump up your stats or tear down your opponents.

Play is restricted to your sphere of influence, which is the closest 10 players score wise to you, so in order to attack the top you have to work your way up. How the scores are calculated is a secret ;)

Scores are fluid, so destroying another players agents or resources, could knock them out of your sphere making it impossible for them to retaliate.

So if anyone is interested in a political strategy game, interested in helping craft rules, and ideas, into making this a fun and addictive game, please sign up and let me know any bugs, or errors you see!

http://www.oyova.com/PoliticalReign/index.cfm?keyWord=Sign Up

KEEP in mind, this is far from a perfect release yet, Im just testing the flow of the game, and the cards, and the rules engine. But I will gladly accept all feedback.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Really? Not one person interested in a game I built whihc was inspired by the Political form to battle ideology in a game atmosphere?
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

A political MMPORG?

I'll have a look but I'm not too sure the folks who post here know what that is.
  4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

What is the objective? Power?
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

I'm a stupid truck driver.
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +213 / 6 / -7

I'll take a look, but not until the weekend. It sounds like a cool idea.
  7. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The idea is to choose an industry to lead, and then play cards ( ala Magic the gathering ) which are based in today's political climate.

The Five industries all have their own unique forms of attacks, and ability to make money...

So you need to deploy your agents, enhance or instant attack other players, etc...

The coming soon features will be government officials:
    This feature was supposed to be core to the game, but it got pushed back.

The basis idea for this will be one a week, laws will be passed, so for that wek, all the players can haggle and fight, and fund elected officials to either push or deny the law.

You can buy a senator, or congressman, and have them in your pocket where they will vote with what you want, but if exposed that senator will get voted out of office, and all that money you poured into him is lost...

This is a high end feature, and there will only be a limited amount of senators and representatives, making the bidding very competitive...

I think the greatest part of what I have built as the base, is a fun game with a card based engine which can grow forever... there is no limit to the type of cards I can make, and I freely welcome any ideas for some.

Check out the Card Depot to just look at some of the cardfs you can get for just a flavor.
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +453 / 6 / -9

Keep the faith McGraw... I will check it out this weekend too if not before... and you just know a loudmouth like me will have suggestions.

(PS, betcha that sites that are purely political free-for-alls will be good places for players.)
  9. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The objective is to be on the top, there is no "winning" just like in real life, the objective is to stay on top as long as possible...

Perhaps in the future if I can continue to grow the game, and more and more people join I can get some sponsors and we can give out prizes for best score or whatnot...
  10. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I see Bellycheck signed up, but hasn't played any cards... if you need help or not sure what to do now... let me know...
  11. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

12. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Has anyone else from here tried it out?

I've added a lot of new card types including draw cards, sacrifice cards, duration modifiers, and more cards to attack other players with.

Were up to 37 players, and the general response so far is people really enjoy the game. Which is awesome because I just made this game off an idea I had, and developed, no real input from anyone else, it was just my vision for a fun political like game to play. It's not super political, but it does pit opposing industries against each other.

If anyone tries it out, or has, and you have any suggestions or comments, let me know.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

mcgraw...with all due respect, you need to stop trying to advertise your products and recruiting members on this board.

I'd guess your dream would be to have 500,000 members so you could sell a lot of advertising on your board...would that not be true?
  14. elway7

elway7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Aw jeez PR! Your not trying to police the forum again are ya?
  15. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This game is 100% free, I built it to make a game, Ive always wanted too... The political banter between the righties and the lefties is what shaped this game idea to some extent...

I really don't plan on making money off it, simply making a fun enjoyable game, I don't think I have the infrastructure to handle 500k players.

If you don't want to play... don't.

But I think it sucks that anyone can freely post work that other people have done, writers, other companies, but the second one of our own does something postable, puts a lot of work into it, and is proud to share it, they get this crap...

Perhaps if you ever do something worthy of posting it, Ill give you the same crap...
  16. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

PR, I say that with all due respect.
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +213 / 6 / -7

I looked at the game today (as Onlooker). The interface is attractive and the rules and instructions are easy, but there doesn't appear to be any challenge. It appears that all I do is play some cards and hope things work out in my favor. Am I misunderstanding something? If my only responsibility is to play a card or more once per day, I'll probably lose interest. In other words, I'd like to have more control and be more aware of what the other players are doing. (A tall order, I'm sure.) It would be great if you could think of a way to directly pit, e.g., investing in domestic social programs against investing in the war on terrorism.

At any rate, I think you're undertaking an interesting pursuit. I see nothing wrong with having a thread like this here as long as the game remains free.
  18. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well if your towards the bottom, and your not doing much, that game would be boring, but if you play, and your log start populating with Such and such player destroyed your resource, or when people start attacking your agents...

It gets fun.

There are a few combos to play as well ( something I want to develop more ) At the top, I have 1 character, and it wicked fun becuase its back and forth between the top 10 players, and were all attacking each other.

The card aspect is actually not even the primary goal of my idea.

My idea started as running an industry, buy influence within government, and then pitting everyone / industries against each other to change legislation. I released this facet of the game as beta.

The features I plan on working on in my spare time are an auction house, so you can sell and buy cards, the library of cards is roughly at 30 per industry, as I build the engine to allow more types of plays, I want to grow the library of cards.

Something I just released was sacrafice cards, as red, you can sacrafice one of your agents to take out another players agents, black can sacrafice agents to put into play a better one...

The more different plays, the more fun.

I also want to build in a government system. I've worked out the math and influence of owning a senator vs owning a congressmen, then a random even system will propose legislation, liek ( Farm Subsides ) so the oil and energy and defense will try to buy influence to defeat that bill, or else everyone in Agriculture will get loads of money.

Same with oil subsides, banking bailouts, and such... Then I will also add in a tax, so your revenue gets taxed, and the total money gained from taxing will be used to redistribute to other players, and legislation to effect different industries tax rate.

Imagine playing, and a legislation comes up to increase Energy tax rate by 5%... you and all other Energy players need to buy influence with law makers to defeat the bill... or else pay higher taxes.

That facet to me, will be the most intriguing, and I plan on growing interaction points like that as the game continues. So far I have been getting really good reviews...

So I hope more of you sign up, and help me develop with ideas the political / governmental aspects to this game.
  19. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Another feature I am going to build way into the future is taking your company public. Which will allow all other players to invest in your company, and then everything is based on a market system for investing and making money/losing money.

Imagine investing in a company, you would want to help and support them as much as possible...

Need to fully work that out...

Also, as I add more cards, there will be more strategy...

As your first day, I can see there isn't much interest, know else knows your there, and your not strong enough to attack... Give it a few days, when people need to attack you in order to move up.
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Well, at least you kept your sense of humor over it. If you truly just wanted to make it a game with no profit motive, my hat's off to you and I apologize. I only said that out of respect for all the hard work Ian puts into this board.

Respect is always the most important thing we can have. My post was not disrespectful to you at, but rather respectful to Ian.

You don't need to read my posts mcgraw, they're definately not worthy of your comments. ;)