Welcome to PatsFans.com

Political Independents: The Future of Politics?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

The article reviews two books, one by a former Republican Oklahoma congressperson (Edwards) and the other by a left wing, now independent, activist (Salt), who both write on the need for independent voters to become a more powerful force. The article cites a few interesting ideas for the national level and healthy developments at the local level.

Political Independents: The Future of Politics? - The Daily Beast

Edwards (the Republican) details prescriptions for each of these problems: primarily election reform, including open primaries and redistricting reform and congressional reform, including filibuster reform.... Edwards also proposes ways to reduce the amount of money in politics, such as limiting congressional contributions to that which can be raised from a congressman’s constituents and requiring a percentage of free advertising time be given to candidates in exchange for private entities’ lease of public airwaves....

The Constitution, Edwards points out, does not even require the speaker of the House to be a member of Congress.... He therefore suggests that one solution would be to require that more than a narrow majority of members of Congress vote in favor the speaker of the House on secret ballot.

(In Salt's book)...readers get to meet outsize independent political personalities, like Kentucky’s Michael Lewis, and gain insight into the court wrangling that accompanied the passage of California’s new nonpartisan top-two primary system and its new independent redistricting system, both of which were strenuously opposed by the two parties who sought to keep the status quo in place by almost any means necessary.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

I really dig the idea of political independents picking up steam in the US. The party machines have essentially stalled progress on finding solutions to our problems.
  3. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

As HB would say, Drew likes this.

Well said.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

The two partys of dirty lying crooked immoral politicians will force The Independemts to grow.

Nothing Is Lower And More Disgusting than a Republican Or A Democrat, liberals will never believe me but I vote many times for a democrat in local elections and I used to be a Registered Democrat before The Far Left Wing Moonbats took them over, people similar to the Entertainment Industry (pigs) they now run things in the Democratic Party and the Republicans have their "Church Freaks" organized religion resembles The Mafia.

Independents are "free thinkers" I'm not quite there yet but from what we have in The White House and from what we have running for public office I am getting there.
    God Willing
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Nothing happens without a Constitutional Ammendment overturning and permanently banning the effects of the "Citizens United" decision.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Political independents who continue to take cash from the Reds and Blues are not independent. They're IINO's.