Welcome to PatsFans.com

Police: Ticket or warning

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by zarakotas5, Sep 4, 2006.

1. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am curious as to why/how the average person receives a warning for their traffic infraction as opposed to a ticket. To all the police/brother of police/etc out there, is there any reason to it? I am familiar with many theories about being respectful and quotas, but I am wondering if there is anything that is is based on reality.
  2. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The only thing to remember is you can't talk your way out of a ticket but you can talk your way INTO one.

Some officers policy is to ALWAYS write a ticket if they pull someone over for an infraction...you can usually blame that on someone who actually got a break or someone who "knows someone" and brought up that they have let others go for a similar infraction.

Quotas are an urban myth. Some motor officers traffic enforcement is thier only duty so they do have to show they are doing something but that isn't a "number" of tickets.

Unless you really have a legitimate excuse don't come up with one because they have heard it all 1,000 times. DO be respectful, you don't have to kiss thier ass, but keep your hands where they can see them don't be beligerant insult them. Every vehicle is a moving violation so if you think they can write you for a bunch of violations besides what they pulled you over for try being a prick. Don't argue about the violation if you don't agree with it, take it to court...the traffic stop isn't court so nothing will change except you will burn it into the cops mind and he will make sure he/she shows up ready to go at court. Also many judges will ask the officer how the person was on the stop and sometimes will give them a little break if they were respectful. (I've seen it...I've even pointed it out to a judge before)

I personally rarely wrote a ticket...pulled over a lot of people but if you weren't wanted or had drugs, stolen items, ect in the car I almost always gave a warning.....OH if you carry a weapon in the car put your hands way up on the steering wheel and TELL the officer where the weapon is....do not "point it out" by reaching for it (the joys of working in AZ...a right to carry state with no IQ test before they will give you a gun)
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  3. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks Blue. I have actually been very fortunate and have never had a bad experience. In fact, I've never actually received a ticket, thankfully, but almost no one else I know is so lucky. There have been several times when I was driving well over the limit, too. Just wondering if there was a rhyme or reason. Thanks again.