Welcome to PatsFans.com

Police State: S.F.'s $100 fine for visible recycling bins

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 1, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

This is really unbelievable. I'd like to say this type of garbage police, uber PC, nanny state stuff is restricted to SF, but it's not. I've had properties cited here in Massachusetts because the trash was out before 6pm the night prior to pick up. I've also had properties cited for putting the trash out a day early, on the week of a holiday. Basically, people weren't sure if the pick up day skipped one because monday was Patriots Day persay, and put the trash out, only to have the city mail a $50 or $100 citation as a result. One of my favorites was a fine for not shovelling the sidewalk all the way to the corner, a day after a snow storm.

Imagine though. You've got 3 kids, you and your spouse work fulltime, and are struggling to get by. You put the trash out before work, the recycled trash mind you, and because niether of you get back till after 6pm, the garbage gestapo, whizzing around on their tricycle, or green machine, snaps a picture of your eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil deed, and fines you $100. [​IMG]

S.F.'s $100 fine for visible recycling bins

Phillip Matier,Andrew Ross

Monday, April 28, 2008

San Francisco residents, already facing some of the highest housing prices and parking fines in the nation, now have a new nightmare to watch out for - $100 tickets if their garbage or recycling cans can be seen from the street. "It just blew me away," said Richmond District resident Catherine Fox, one of 189 people who have been dinged since the city started handing out the tickets last month.

Too bad, because under a law passed two years ago by the Board of Supervisors, it's no longer good enough just to get your cans off the sidewalk once they've been emptied - you have to get them out of sight as well.

If someone complains, the city sends out the garbage cops, and if the bins are in sight, you're cited. The ticket shows up in the mail. The supes passed the out-of-sight-or-else ordinance as an add-on to the existing law that requires cans to be off the sidewalk by 6 p.m. on pickup days.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/28/BAC010C2PM.DTL
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Just another way to make money for the city. I'd hate to live there. I'd like to ask the city council umm, if I can't put my bins where they can be seen,how are the people that empty them going to know were they are. And if they have to go searching for them that takes more time and effort wihich means they're going to work ovetime,or demand a raise.
    Last edited: May 1, 2008
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

Try doing it in So Central LA---------:singing:
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

Here is a better choice throw your recycling in the street...
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I wonder how many of the people out there will just pay it and how many will actually stand up and say "no effin' way"?
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

I think as much as a lot of us might say this, but to get involved with the justice system takes mucho patience and mucho time.. hanging around waiting for cases to get heard, by some bored municipal judge is a good suggestion for quick insanity.
  7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's certainly the truth. Maybe they should just take the direct route? Pick a day, and everyone tosses the recycling out into the streets all over the city.

Now that would be funny.