Welcome to PatsFans.com

Police State: Hard Lemonade, Hard Time

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -2

Earth to common sense, come in please. Seriously, does anyone with a pulse actually think that this guy needed to be barred from his home for a week, while his son was taken from the family for 2 days? :confused: Some common sense please. You can totally see where someone might make a dumb mistake here, and think that Mike's Lemonade was, well, just a lemonade. As the saying goes, $%^# Happens. You'd think that after everything was explained, and the kid checked out ok (which is odd that there was ZERO trace of alchohol 90 minutes later), that they'd have squashed this. Mo govt, mo problems.

BRIAN DICKERSON

Hard lemonade, hard price

Dad's oversight at Tigers game lands son in foster care

BY BRIAN DICKERSON • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • April 28, 2008

If you watch much television, you've probably heard of a product called Mike's Hard Lemonade.

The 47-year-old academic says he wasn't even aware alcoholic lemonade existed when he and Leo stopped at a concession stand on the way to their seats in Section 114. "I'd never drunk it, never purchased it, never heard of it," Ratte of Ann Arbor told me sheepishly last week. "And it's certainly not what I expected when I ordered a lemonade for my 7-year-old."

But it would be two days before the state of Michigan allowed Ratte's wife, U-M architecture professor Claire Zimmerman, to take their son home, and nearly a week before Ratte was permitted to move back into his own house.

At a hearing later that day, Jones recommended that Leo remain in foster care until she had completed her investigation, a process she estimated would take several days. It was only after the assistant attorney general who represented CPS admitted that the state was not interested in pursuing the case aggressively that juvenile referee Leslie Graves agreed to release Leo to his mother -- on the condition that Ratte himself relocate to a hotel.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/COL04/804280375/1081

2. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

Worked Child Welfare for a lot of years and interacted with them a lot when I worked in Juvenile Corrections.. hate to tell you that this type of stuff is standard operating procedure in this type of case. They proceed with an abundance of caution, primarily because if they f.. up they become targets fo the press. the Judicial system just follows along.. bottom line is no one wants to make a mistake and get raked across the coals. The civil liberatarians usually back off and let this stuff go..

4. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What sentence would a beer soaked bratwurst be worth? :D

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -2

I wonder what this entire escapade cost the taxpayers of Michigan? Now multiply that by all the incompitence enacted on a daily basis. [​IMG]

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

These bastards don't dare go into the "Projects" and do this they would need 50 school busses to lug all the 10 year old JUNKIES out and 10 Swat Teams to get their JUNKIE parents locked up.

Was there any Racism involved with the "lemonade kid" :confused: