Welcome to PatsFans.com

Police pay in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Gainzo, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have brought this topic up in the past but why does each City/Town in Massachusetts (all 351 of them) have their own police force?

I read an article in the Lowell Sun a few weeks ago that listed the top 20 paid town employees in Chelmsford. For those that have never heard of Chelmsford it is a town of 33,000 people about 30 miles northwest of Boston.

13 of the 20 highest paid town employees were police officers. A lot of them pulled in over 100K last year.

Why doesn't Massachusetts get rid of all these local departments and go with only a State Police force? Do we really need Local, County & State police?

The amount of money local police chiefs are making is ridiculous. Even the smallest police departments have a deputy police chief making big coin.

Mass Residents: Remember the Metro & RMV Police? The were folded into the State Police in 1992 by Bill Weld.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

It's not just cops anymore either. Look at what lots of fireman are making. It's outrageous. To some, criticizing their compensation is akin to killing babies, or abusing a dog. So tread lightly my friend.

I'm not to concerned with cities having their own police force. I think they should, since it should be the residents of those towns that foot the bill for their respective police forces. People pay property tax to their city, not the state.

BTW, for anyone interested, here's a database you can scroll through to see what people made or make.

Your tax dollars at work: State Payroll - BostonHerald.com
  3. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Keep in mind that not every City/Town in Massachusetts has a paid fire department. A lot of the smaller towns have volunteer fire departments.

Do you think the tax payers of North Andover, Andover, Haverhill & Lowell are happy about their tax dollars going to Lawrence as Lawrence has slashed their budget for the fire department?
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The discussion about consolidation of services into a regional response has been talked about ad infinitum.

For some reason, I never understood, have always been told that overtime is better than hiring more people, perhaps it is the "legacy" thing.

A lot of police pay comes from "details", and the city does not pay them the contractor, bar or similar place that needs a police presence pays them, no the taxpayer.

It is complicated..
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Just take a peek at the Boston Fire Department. Look at how many took in over $200,000 last year.

Boston City Payroll - BostonHerald.com

Absurd. You have to scroll down to page 8 to finally get to someone who makes under $100,000 in annaul salary (there are then 10 pages of annual salaries at $90k+). That's salary mind you, not total, or gross earnings. To get under the $100k mark, you have to scroll to page 70! That's where you find the first guy who grossed $99,956. :rolleyes:

Good thing they got that 19% raise. Clearly they needed it.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I'm not sure I follow you. Why are those towns sending their tax dollars to Lawrence? Is it in receivership and run by the state, or are those towns providing services to Lawrence for some reason?

Smaller towns do have volunteer members, or departments. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the towns descretion.
  7. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree it is a complicated issue and downsizing local police forces to save money has had the opposite effect. Let's layoff 3 cops who make $50K a year and then pay the other cops on the force huge OT pay to make up for the loss of those cops. That doesn't make sense.

On the other hand a lot of taxpayer money goes to paying for Police Chiefs who do jack-all and collect their $120-$150K every year.

I know their will never be a true State Police force, but I can dream right?

The Fire Department is completely different IMO.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I think he's talking about the indirect taxation thing. Everyone pays state taxes and the state gives cities and towns local aid money. Just guessing.
  9. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm talking about Lawrence shutting down fire stations and then having the fire departments from Lowell, Andover, North Andover and Haverhill respond to calls in Lawrence.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The detail situation is still ridiculous btw even with a few token flagpeople.

You only have to have the detail officer if the municipality has the staff. If they get backed up they'll take your detail officer away. You don't have to pay, but you don't have to cancel your event either. If public safety really required it...

The Quinn bill's another crock.
  11. MOSS

MOSS Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who cares about how much the fat pigs makes. 75% only caring about hating minorities and teenagers with then abusing their power and beating the crap out of them. 25% of the other half are fine with me, it's the true fat pigs that make me want to give the finger out to.