Welcome to PatsFans.com

Police mandated to write certain number tickets a month or face possible punishment

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Mar 7, 2010.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

KOB.com - Is there a quota system for New Mexico's state police?

Go to above clink for the video. I remembered it happened once in CA but it stopped after people filed complains.

2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Re: Police mandated to write certain number tickets a month or face possible punishme

Duh.....???

This is new?

3. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Re: Police mandated to write certain number tickets a month or face possible punishme

Having the documents just proves what's been happening as an unwritten law since city budgets were spent based on X amount of tickets being signed.

4. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The State Police does or did it here...local municipalities don't or if they do they hide it where it isn't visible to the public. I haven't seen it in my hometown's budget any of the last three years, all the upswing in tickets that have been given prior to this fall have been directly proportional to increase in enforcing parking and safety laws by the police. The rest are due to license plate readers:
    High-tech license plate reader aids Chelsea police - The Boston Globe

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

This is BS. To protect and serve my arse. The cops ticket to make cash. I find that appalling. Meanwhile virtually all of them are pulling in six figures a year. Total BS.

6. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Cops do not make 100k+ a year... maybe some, in some precincts, but not most by any means.

I posted in a post a few weeks back about more funding simply provides your government with more efficient ways to raise more money. This is what I was talking about. Police departments number one job no matter of well funded is to ensure more money keeps coming in. Which is why cities hev no problem spending on traffic cameras, etc...

Reason and Liberty The vicious cycle of spending for lesser returns

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Why do you keep insisting this, RW? The average salary of a police officer in the United States is $50,000.00 per year.

Police Officer Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

Yes, of course some of them make more - but some make less, also. And those that hit the $100,000.00 mark are most likely seasoned veterans who hold advanced education degrees and/or supervisory positions - and those who work countless hours of overtime.

Just like in any other job, RW. Yours and mine included.

This fallacy that "virtually all" cops make 6 figure salaries is one which exists entirely in your head and it's tiresome.

8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Whether or not this is done is irrelevant, but the fact is, it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL to set quota's such as these.

So, of course it's news. moving an non-moving violations have nothing to do with a town or city's budget.

9. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Where does the money go to when someone pays a speeding ticket which was issued by the local police?

10. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the cops don't write enough tickets anyway......

everyone speeds in residential neighborhood, nobody comes to a complete stop where they are supposed to

every single driver could easily be ticketed a couple of times a day

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

We need to hire more cops so that some of them can do nothing but traffic tickets! That way, we could have more hearings to contest all those tickets. Then our property taxes will go down because of all the revenue we can generate from tickets!

Then the insurance companies can attach more surcharges, deliver the increased profits to their parent corporation, and that will trickle back down to help offset the cost of health insurance in their health insurance subsidiary! Our healthcare premiums will go down!

Not only do we create jobs, but our taxes and insurance will decrease!

I LIKE IT!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  12. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Which is simply proof that the laws need to change... To infer from those experiences that we need to fine everyone is nuts... That tells me that the people no longer respect or want to abide by those laws, so they should be removed.

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

As far as stopping for stop signs...that's huge pet peave of mine. If the sign says stop, STOP your sorry arse! It's not a choice. Just like signalling for a turn...it's not a choice. Just plain lazy, ignorant drivers if you ask me.

14. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +339 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

I just blow right through those suckers.....yeah. :rocker:

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Flex...you have the right to break the law and be one of those lazy arse drivers...all the power to ya bro!:D

But it's STILL NOT a choice....

16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +339 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Of course its a choice....,...

Question if you were driving through the desert in Nevada at 2:AM and all of a sudden there was a stop sign....would you stop?????

Its alright, its not a trick question

17. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Technically... if you read the driving manuals... anything in "yellow" is considered a warning sign and not required, which applied to the signlaing of your car as well.

Putting your turn signal on according to the manual is not a requirement, however I also know that they will pull you over for it anyways.

All yellow signs, especially the ones for reducing the speed limit around a turn are not a posted requirement to slow down, but an advisement too do so.

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I can honestly say that I always stop at stop signs...whether I need to or not. They're not yellow, they're red!

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Mickey...use your common sense and think about turn signals. They are not for YOUR safety, but for the safety of your fellow drivers. If we didn't have to use them, we could suddenly stop on a 50 mph road and then take a left...or right. If we're travelling at 65 mph on a highway, we could suddenly turn into another lane without warning the person in the adjacent lane.

If you can get a ticket for not signalling (which you can), it's required.

If I'm behind someone who comes to a stop (without signalling), I go around them to the right. But what if they suddenly go turn right and hit me?

It's common sense. The road is not a free for all and it aint all about you (or me), it's about the safety of everyone.

To put it another way, where you're going IS my business.

20. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +339 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

That leaves me no choice I'll have to through you in with the other 85% of adult American population. I'll reveal the ramifications late when the key board stops moving around :confused: :bricks: